Thread: a question for just the Amherst residents to answer

a question for just the Amherst residents to answer

I have a question for just the Amherst residents to answer.

Which is more of a problem about the Allenhurst apartments, the tax burden on the town or the conditions of the apartments in general? I mean, as a person not from the area I would really like to know who thinks 'what' is more of a problem?

To try something new... This I would like to remain as just an informational thread where no one analyses what anyone else says... I just would like to group together people's opinions of what the major problems are from only the Amherst residents seeing it's something going on in their town.

First, my answer: The Conditions stemming from the Allenhurst & Princeton projects.

Second, it's almost like a 'chicken & egg' discussion. And silo-ing the two issues supresses residents ability to generate change... something that I've gathered most contributors to speakupwny.com loathe. Therefore, I find the question to be suspect.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Therefore, I find the question to be suspect.
    Suspect how?

The conditions existing at Allenhurst are a far greater impact on Amherst than the tax issue.

The subsidy that they receive is from HUD, a federal agency. Therefore, while money to support this project is indirectly coming out of my pocket, it's not coming out of the Amherst property tax dollar pocket.

However, the impact of current conditions on surrounding property values and the amount of additional cost associated with the "project" such as increased police protection (that does exist contrary to Stakeholder's allegations), is impacting the Town's budget and, as a result, the pocket that I referred to above.
    Bring Back Jack!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How does HUD money come into play with a property like this?

What is the HUD funds acutally used for?

See, you missed the whole meaning of this thread WNYresident...

I didn't want any comments open for debate, just a safe place for the Amherst residents to give their take on what's wrong with the apartments and/or surrounding areas.

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious
    In response to NO's original question (presumably the precept of this thread):
    Which is more of a problem about the Allenhurst apartments, the tax burden on the town or the conditions of the apartments in general?

Originally posted by absolivious
    In response to NO's original question (presumably the precept of this thread):

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Which is more of a problem about the Allenhurst apartments, the tax burden on the town or the conditions of the apartments in general?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious
    ...as I was about to say --before one of my 12 thumbs hit the Enter key:

The conditions are by far a greater impediment to the prosperity of the area than the impact on anyone's tax bill.

By reducing the percentage of non-owner residents things could begin to turn around. The same sort of conditions existed in north west Amherst, back when they called it LA (Looney Acres).
    An influx of resident homeowners in the area were the most significant change that occured. They took matters into their own hands and made their own improvements.

The HUD grants here however are not conducive to home ownership. Rather, the structure of this whole HUD program thrives on residents continuing to be dependent on the "gubmint."

When Jack Kemp was HUD secretary, he tried tried to turn that attitude around but it never flew; for one thing that would have reduced the number of people who were dependent on it and thereby displace too many congressionally supplied patronage jobs.

Second, it's almost like a 'chicken & egg' discussion. And silo-ing the two issues supresses residents ability to generate change... something that I've gathered most contributors to speakupwny.com loathe. Therefore, I find the question to be suspect.

What do you mean Amherst Stakeholder?

Based on the current topic in another thread of the Allenhurst Apartments, I was finding two different factors being dicussed. Just from the Amherst residents in that area, I was looking to see what is more of the problem - the apartments overall conditions or the fact that it's low income housing.

It's call research, it's what I do.

I was looking to see what is more of the problem - the apartments overall conditions or the fact that it's low income housing.
    What's worse: getting run over by a bus or getting shot in the chest?

Does it really matter?

Apparently there are at least two problems: There exists low-income housing (Allenhurst) that attracts people who have less-than-desirable behavior. The presence of said facility makes the surrounding real estate less marketable due to a reduced quality of life for those property owners, resulting in a devaluation of real estate value. The poor condition of the property is dependant on two factors: The behavior and abusive nature of the tenants (litter, etc..) and the managment company/property owner not taking steps to address the bahavior of the residents through security, janitorial services, etc..

I was looking to see what is more of the problem - the apartments overall conditions or the fact that it's low income housing.
    What's to research? It seems pretty clear to me. By asking your above question, you aren't attempting to "gather fatcs", which is what researchers do. What you are doing is fishing for others perception of the problem rather than the problem itself. You're hoping that one of these Amherst people will stand up and say "I don't like those LOW INCOME HOUSING people here", at which point you can accuse them of being an elitist suburban snob.

Fact is, these people probably have families and they don't want their kids to see the used rubbers on the sidewalk and the police cars there at all hours of the night. That's a perfectly understandable reaction.

Please stop trying to blame the victims. It's not their fault that they have a job, work hard, and are happy. Enough of the class-warfare save the downtrodden poor party line already....
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    Actually, Night Owl, from your posts here, I've seen little evidence of any of your "research" on the Allenhurst & Princeton matter. What do you know about those complexes? If you've done reasearch, I think it would be great if you shared it here.

By asking your above question, you aren't attempting to "gather fatcs", which is what researchers do. What you are doing is fishing for others perception of the problem rather than the problem itself.

You couldn't be more wrong about me with the start of this thread.

From the topic in a different thread the two peices in the question I asked were being dicussed moreover than anything else. For this thread I was just looking for a few honest opinions from the Amherst residents without the debate of non Amherst residents.

If, by what was said in the other thread that graffiti was a notable problem, then it probably would have rendered a different outcome in asking my question in this thread. For this particular thread, I set aside my personal opinion (just from what I've heard) so that I can acquire the more important opinions of the Amherst resdients living near the apartments.

Actually, Night Owl, from your posts here, I've seen little evidence of any of your "research" on the Allenhurst & Princeton matter.

It's a work in progress, from the opinions posted here I was planning on turning them into questions to ask the Town Supervisor - I am not looking for anyone "to stand out" with comments in this precise thread; you all are talented enough to do that on your own. Oh, and I am not looking to expose anyone from the message boards with the questions I will ask the supervisor.

No one says that you have to particpate Amherst Stakeholder.

Thread Information