Thread: Demanding Diversity

Demanding Diversity

DEMANDING DIVERSITY

Kudos go out to Mayor Paul Dyster and City Administrator Bill Bradberry on recognizing the need for more diversity in the workforce here. The new administration is emphasizing that need with a promise to vigorously enforce a project labor agreement for the city's new public safety complex on North Main Street that requires subcontractors to hire 10 percent minority workers and another 5 percent women.

That said, however, much more needs to be done. To accurately reflect the city's complexion, at least 50 percent of the workforce should be made up of minorities and women. And as long as we're going to impose standards on private contractors doing work for the city, why not hold the city itself to the same standards?

Currently, only around 8 percent of the city's employees are minorities, which is nothing short of disgraceful.

"Our objective here is to try to counter those forces that are creating the prevailing mindset here where people don't believe that it's possible to make our way out of poverty," Bradberry told the Buffalo News last week.

But that's only a part of the problem. A bigger one, in our view, is a "prevailing mindset" here that has allowed the minority population to descend into a bottomless pit of public housing, welfare and ghetto life.

Most black city workers labor at the various branches of what used to be called the Department of Public Works until former mayor Vincenzo V. Anello destroyed it in an attempt to provide as many patronage jobs as possible for those who helped him in his 2003 campaign.

About a dozen black men work in the forestry, streets and parks departments, with half that number having decades of training and experience behind them. With one lone exception -- a short-timer who circulated petitions for Anello last year -- none of these workers has ever been given the opportunity for a management position.

Why is that? Is it their fault?

We don't think so.

As long as there are decision-makers in this community like former DPW director Dick Lucinski -- who now edits the Niagara Gazette and recently penned an idiotic column suggesting that the pacifist, Nobel Peace Prize-winning American hero Martin Luther King Jr. would today be a member of the war-crazy Republican Party -- the basic problem of race here won't be addressed seriously.

And the city of Niagara Falls needs to get its own sadly neglected house in order so that it can seize the moral high ground in addressing that problem.

Niagara Falls Reporter www.niagarafallsreporter.com Feb. 5 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth
    As long as there are decision-makers in this community like former DPW director Dick Lucinski
    I chuckle with I read this. Dick Lucinski, career TV and print newsman. What qualifications did he have to run a Public Works department?

b.b.

hire based on the most qualified, not racial/sex quotas
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

If the people doing the hiring did just that , it wouldn't be quotas or affirmitive action in america.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob
    I chuckle with I read this. Dick Lucinski, career TV and print newsman. What qualifications did he have to run a Public Works department?

b.b.
    b.b. : I agree with you about Lucinski, but what qualifications does Dave Kinney have? Is running the NC Parks dept the same as NF DPW?

Demanding Diversity

DEMANDING DIVERSITY

Don't you fair intergration?

Fair hiring based on what?
    Qualifications?
    Ethnic background?
    As precent of the population?

Quote Originally Posted by nysparkie
    DEMANDING DIVERSITY

Don't you fair intergration?

Fair hiring based on what?
    Qualifications?
    Ethnic background?
    As precent of the population?
    huh????

If the people doing the hiring did just that , it wouldn't be quotas or affirmitive action in america.
    Do you really beleive this????

Affirmative Action

What a joke.
    Let's not hire the best qualified.
    Let's discrimate based on race and gender.

Wonder why racism and sexism still exist?
    It's because those who cry the loudest that it happens are the ones damanding it.

The NBA must discriminate against whites then. The 100m & 200m sprints in the olympics are racist against whites! (not the 400m, Jeremy Wariner smokes all blacks!).

Quotas are anti-freedom. Anti-freedom is oppression. Oppression helps nobody in the long run. Fight for freedom, fight against AA!

I thought you just needed to be Italian or related to one, i.e. your last name ends in a vowel, to be hired in NF?

Talking Can't we all just get along?

From my experience in WNY, it's who you know and how much kiss assing you are willing to do. Too bad for WNY but a living for the kiss assers.

It would be nice to have people who does the hiring think about qualifications of an individual but, from what I've seen that's not the first priority. You put in people in jobs without any qualifications to do their job and pass off people who actually know what they are doing. If you aren't willing to get along with the "program" too bad for you. This needs to stop. It's not about race, sex or gender, work on hiring really qualified people to get the job done.

Diversity is important for progress but qualifications is critical. How many of you out there who lived here all your lives feel the better person for the job was passed off because they wouldn't kiss ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Puppet
    The NBA must discriminate against whites then. The 100m & 200m sprints in the olympics are racist against whites! (not the 400m, Jeremy Wariner smokes all blacks!).

Quotas are anti-freedom. Anti-freedom is oppression. Oppression helps nobody in the long run. Fight for freedom, fight against AA!
    Even worse is college sports.

I am a huge Notre Dame fan and we get crap for letting go Ty Willingham, who is one of the few black coaches in CF.

I wonder what people like John Saunders would say if college football teams had to divide up scholarships equally to all races. A lot more kids from Section 6 would be playing D-1!!!

You know I have posted in several of these race threads started by Funky and BTT. The moment you do not take their bait, throw out a logical comment, they leave the thread.

Pathetic really.....

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Even worse is college sports.

I am a huge Notre Dame fan and we get crap for letting go Ty Willingham, who is one of the few black coaches in CF.

I wonder what people like John Saunders would say if college football teams had to divide up scholarships equally to all races. A lot more kids from Section 6 would be playing D-1!!!
    That bum of a coach who now is the coach at Notre Dame should be fired by now if the same criteria for firing ty willingham was applied.

Sports is all about winning, not just getting along with your teammates.

Unfortunately in sports like football and basketball some of the most athletic guys happens to be black and those sports pay a high premium on being super athletic.

If there was two seperate leagues like america wanted developed back in the day, not much money would be made and many wouldn't watch a league where blacks weren't included .

I thought you knew that!

Thread Information