Thread: AFL-CIO endorsement

AFL-CIO endorsement

Given today's political environment, how important is it for a candidate to receive the endorsement from the AFL-CIO?

Quote Originally Posted by had enough yet View Post
    Given today's political environment, how important is it for a candidate to receive the endorsement from the AFL-CIO?
    I was curious myself to what this AFL-CIO actually meant besides it being unions. What exactly does it bring to the table come election time to help Mr. McCusker.

The AFL-CIO usually backs candidates who win and incumbents. For them to back McCusker speaks volumes about what they think of the incumbents running for mayor in the City of Lackawanna. Considering all the politicians, ex politicians, former mayors and the insiders backing Szymanski I would say that this is BIG since all that clout still didn't do nothing for him.

evidently you dont understand much

Quote Originally Posted by lackbrokejoke View Post
    I was curious myself to what this AFL-CIO actually meant besides it being unions. What exactly does it bring to the table come election time to help Mr. McCusker.
    Mr. McCusker has earned the backing of the Republican and Independant parties, this in itself is a great thing seeing that Mr. McCusker is a life long Democrat. These two parties evidently could see beyond a title or a lable and see who actually was the best candidate for Mayor. They can see that no one including what we will call the Lackawanna Democrats (seeing how they have their own set of self serving standards) will run Mr. McCusker or tell him which way to go on issues. They know that he will do what he thinks is best for both Lackawanna residents and business's. The Lackawanna Democrats who selected and nominated one of their own is going to try and confuse people by saying oh look Mr. McCusker is running as a Republican or an Independant how can any Democrat in good faith vote for him. This is where the importance of the AFL-CIO endorsement comes into play, it basically states that one of the largest union associatiions in Western New York recognizes Mr. McCusker as a Democrat and as a person who wants to see people make a living wage. Therefore registered Democrats can go into the polling booth and vote this man as their next Mayor and not feel as if they did something against party lines. The way I like to look at it is the line that Mr. McCusker is running on and will win on is the Lackawannian Line.

Thread Information