Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal emergercy or not?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Animal emergercy or not?

These are on the side of my building here. Are these baby squirrels?

Baby Animals

Baby Animals

My one concern is Henry the hawk....

Red Tail Hawk Cheektowaga at Walden and Union

So what are they? Will the parent come and rescue them? If not is there reason to hand feed these or let the hawk have dinner?

I'll go with opossum.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Think I leave them if they are still there about 5:30? Or does wild life rescue mode kick in?

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    I'll go with opossum.
    Yep, possum!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Opossum babies and squirrel babies at this age look much alike (google pics of both). The only thing that would make me doubt that they are opossum babies is the fact that they would be in the mother's pouch for much of their infancy, and then riding on mom's back once they left the pouch. Admittedly, one could fall off, but more than one? Doesn't seem likely-- unless mom was captured and killed by your hawk, but then why wouldn't the hawk have gotten the babies. Anyway, long story short, I suppose it doesn't matter which it is. Call the SPCA in the morning if they're still there, offer to email them the pics, and see what they say they are and what you should do.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They were about 8 feet away from each other in the grass. First spotted about about 9 am....at 5:15 they were both still where they were but one was closer to the asphalt walkway that goes along the driveway to Union Road. At 5:30 I went to the pet shop on union and asked "What should I do?"...

My answer I received was..Take them seeing the hawk lives there and there has been no sign of the parents. I then said "Then what?".... I was handed some type of powdered something or other and a feeding bottle.. I said are you sure? I said would you leave them or not? He said no he would take them. So I did against my better judgement...

I snapped on some latex disposable gloves and put them into a box...No human scent if I can help it. If tomorrow morning I see a mommy animal looking all over the place I'll put them back. They are now sitting in a plastic bin with an clean old towel folded up a few times and another towel sort of crunched up.

I am now going to go on an emergency course of what to do.

I would of felt horrible if I check on them in the morning and they were both dead.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    From a site someone posted on facebook

http://www.messingerwoods.org/babysquirrel.htm

Squirrel nests are not only damaged by bad weather, but can also be damaged by other adult squirrels. Male squirrels will on occasion kill their own babies if they are given a chance. During this struggle, the babies may fall out of the nest. If the mother survives the attack, she will try to retrieve her babies and carry them back to the nest ... if it is still intact. If the nest is not intact, she usually has a backup nest that she can carry them to. A mother squirrel will not take back a baby that has gotten cold. You can warm the baby in your hands or hold it close to your body and when it gets warm, you can place it at the base of the tree and leave the area, but try to keep watch from a distance for about an hour or so.

If the Gray Squirrelweather is cold, place the baby or babies in a box with some toweling and a hot water bottle, or an extension cord with a heating pad. The mother does not object to her babies smelling like humans, but she will not take them back if they are cold. Keep all children or pets away from the area to allow the mother ample time to come and retrieve her babies. She will pick them up in her mouth and carry them back to the nest even if they look too large for her to carry. Usually, when she hears her babies crying she will come and get them. If you wait until just before dark and she has not come to get them, it is time for you to step in and take over for her.
    Holy crap I got enough to do

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    http://www.messingerwoods.org/guidance.htm

Basic Care of any Injured/Orphaned Bird/Animal
    Note: The term "animal" used throughout this website, unless otherwise specified, normally refers to a mammal.
    Warm, Dark and Quiet Rule

1. Keep the animal warm, dark and in a quiet area until it can be seen by a Wildlife Rehabilitator.
    2. Do not attempt to feed it or give it fluids! An animal in shock will die if you do.
    3. Do NOT pet or handle the bird or animal. They may look calm but they are actually just frozen with fear.

I guess no feeding...But i'm gonna read more....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm assuming they haven't had was from 9 am until now......

A little too much responsibility.

Tomorrow I call

Messinger Woods
    Wildlife Care & Education Center, Inc.
    P.O. Box 508
    Orchard Park, New York 14127
    (716) - 648-8091

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/squirrels.html

I'm assuming they haven't had was from 9 am until now......

EMERGENCY CARE FOR BABY SQUIRRELS

NOTE:A SQUIRREL WILL DIE WITHIN 24 HOURS WITHOUT FOOD & WATER.

Always double-check the area where you found the baby for his brothers and/or sisters. He is part of a litter and the nest may have fallen or a predator may have disturbed the nest.

First step:

Keep the baby warm. If the baby has not yet opened his eyes, use a box with high sides. Make sure the box has a ventilated lid. You can cut a large hole in the top of 1 box and duct tape a piece of screen over the hole. The baby squirrel will crawl around and you do not want to lose him.

Place a heating pad in the bottom of the box and cover with a soft baby blanket. (Baby receiving blankets work well: Avoid towels, as the baby can snag his little toes and break them off or even break his fragile ankles. Test the heating pad to be sure the temperature is not too warm. You want to keep the baby at a comfortable 99 degrees. Squirrels feel secure when they can hide in the blanket.

Second step:

Rehydrate the baby immediately. Do not attempt formula at this point. You don't know how long the baby has been without fluids.

Warm a small amount of Pedialyte (enough for one feeding) in the microwave. Test the liquid to be sure that it is not too warm. Initially, give the baby Pedialyte every 15 minutes for the first two hours. Try to give the baby 1/2 cc each time.

If you are unable to access Pedialyte, you can use the following formula:

*1 quart warm water
    *3 teaspoons regular table sugar *1 teaspoon salt

Mix together until dissolved and store in refrigerator.

Feed the baby with his head up. Watch his stomach. Do not let him bloat! His stomach should have a comfortably round appearance.

Use a small tip dropper or a lcc syringe (be sure to discard the needle first) to feed the baby. Feed carefully and slowly keeping only the tip of the dropper in his mouth. If he sucks too hard, he may take the liquid into his lungs.

If the formula begins to come out of his nose, stop feeding and Immediately use a tissue to pat his nose dry. Keep tissue close by while feeding. Do not allow the baby to breathe the formula back in again when this happens. Wait until he can breathe properly again before you continue to feed him.

NOTE: IF THE BABY IS NOT DRINKING OR IS GAGGING ON THE PEDIALYTE, HE MAY BE TOO DEHYDRATED TO RESPOND. TAKE THE BABY TO THE REHABILITATOR OR VET IMMEDIATELY AND ASK FOR LACTATED RINGERS TO BE ADMINISTERED. IF ADMINISTERED PROPERLY, THE BABY SHOULD BEGIN TO RESPOND TO THE PEDIALYTE ORALLY WITHIN HOURS.

Third step:

A baby squirrel needs help to eliminate his urine and waste. The mother squirrel usually cleans the baby after feeding which helps to stimulate this process. If the baby does not have help, he may develop a urinary tract infection or other major problems.

After feeding, use a damp cotton ball or wet finger to lightly stimulate the baby's genitals until he eliminates. This sometimes takes a couple of minutes so please be patient.

The baby's urine should be light yellow. If it is too dark, you must feed him more often or help him urinate often. Continue this process after each feeding until eyes have opened and/or you are sure it is old enough to urinate by himself.

Fourth step:

If the baby is taking the Pedialyte well and seems to be hydrating, you can gradually expand to your administration to every hour for 4-6 hours. After this, you can switch over to formula. Powdered Puppy Milk Replacer works well.

The baby's formula: This is the formula used by most rehabilitators and is crucial to the baby's health. Do not use any other recommended formula or you will put the baby at risk of Metabolic Bone Disease or other health disorders!

Mix 1 part Powered Puppy Replacer with 2 parts distilled water and 1/4 part whipping cream (not whipped cream) or plain yogurt.

Make only enough for a three-day supply.

Warm enough for one feeding in the microwave as with the Pedialyte.

The baby's first formula feedings should be introduced gradually.

For the first two feedings, mix 75% Pedialyte with 25% formula.

For the next three to four feedings, mix half of each

For the next three to four feedings, mix 75% formula with 25% Pedialyte.

After this gradual introduction, give 100% formula

How often to feed the baby:

When you first receive the baby squirrel, begin to feed every two hours AFTER he is rehydrated for several days.

THIS IS AROUND THE CLOCK, EVEN AT NIGHT.

Continue to feed every two hours if the baby is under two weeks old.

Feed every three hours from two weeks old until his eyes are opened. (about 4-5 weeks old)

Feed every four hours until weaned, between seven to ten weeks old.

WEANING THE BABY

After the baby has opened his eyes, you can begin to introduce solid food into his diet.
    Remember; continue to feed the baby his formula until he no longer wants it. (About 7 to 10 weeks)

Because nutrition is so important to a squirrel's fragile system, most rehabilitators begin the baby on Primate Dry Monkey Biscuits. This has the right amount of nutrients to keep the baby from acquiring severe ailments such as Metabolic Bone Disease, rickets, seizures, malnutrition, brittle bones, or other problems.

NOTE: WARNING SIGNS THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE BABY' NUTRITION ARE HYPERACTIVITY, BITING, ATTACKING, OR AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR. THIS CAN BE CAUSED BY LACK OF CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM IN HIS DIET. TOO MUCH PHOSPHORUS CAN ALSO LEAD TO THIS BEHAVIOR. ALTHOUGH ALMONDS CAN BE GIVEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS, I SUGGEST NOT GIVING ALMONDS OR BRAZIL NUTS AT ALL!

After the baby is eating the Monkey Biscuits well, you can begin to introduce other raw fruit and vegetables as well as nuts into his diet. Always offer a variety and change out the food twice a day.

You do not want the baby to be eating food that has gone bad. Introduce each new food one at a time and wait to make sure the baby does not have an allergy to the item or develops diarrhea.

Squirrels can be picky and will not like everything you offer. He will sometimes urinate on food that he does not like or wipe his mouth on the ground. Note what fruits and vegetables he prefers, but be sure to provide a variety fo his health.

NOTE: SQUIRRELS DO NOT EAT MEAT which means cat and dog food are inappropriate

Try the following:

Sweet potato, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Corn on cob, Lettuce, CarrotsMushrooms, Peas, Leafy greens, Celery, Squash, Okra, Green beansGreen Pepper, Cucumber, Berries, Peach, Apple , Banana, Pineapple
    Melon, Avocado, Kiwi, Fig or dates, Raisins, Plum, Pear, Pumpkin seedsSunflower, Acorns, Pecans, Chestnuts, Hickory nuts, PistachioHazelnuts, Grains

Be sure to chop his food up into tiny pieces that the b can pick up with his hands.

A couple good supplements are Hartz Mountain green thin hamster Food and Hartz Mountain Muchie-O. Avoid anything salted or sugared but a lot of the healthier cereals in your grocery store would be part of a good diet.

By about 7-10 weeks old, the baby should be eating solid foods and drinking water sufficiently to stop feeding him but he will let you know by refusing the formula when you try to feed him.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Meet the babies...

So are they still alive????? Now ya got me nervous, LOL!
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Down to one...

I figure that they fell quite a distance from their nest. I should have retrieved them earlier versus letting them stay where they were all day. Once they are cold the parent might not take them back. He's warmed up now. I'll put it back where they were but in a box with some cloth and see if a parent fetches it up. I'm just following what I read on some wild life sites.

From what I read they dehydrate rather fast... one took pedialyte every so many hours. They recommended that for the first several feedings. The second baby I think was too far gone. If the wild life place calls me back and takes it I'll donate something for their troubles.. Worse case they can feed it to a baby owl or something...

I thought they were going to messinger woods? Spca has a wildlife dept.

Good luck its a long tough road.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    http://www.messingerwoods.org

They are on their way.... I only gave the creatures room and board for 1 night... 1 bottle of unflavored pedialyte from walgreens...

The one might be fine because what is going in one end comes out the other. You need to stimulate their genital area to get them to go to the bathroom which it does after you feed them.

I physically don't have the time to do what a baby squirrel needs for care. AND remember these are NOT PETS. I see how annoying they are when they are following me in the yard, I would not want to live with one. She said there is a guy in concord who is into squirrels plus it will have some buddies. Baby squirrels are raised better in groups versus individually.

A nice woman called me back about 30 minutes ago and is on the way......

I just found this thread, but Messinger Woods is the way to go. My martial arts instructor is one of the founding members and I usually go to him when I find injuried wildlife. They'll get the infants to the right people who specialize in that species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information