Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Control board approves first pact since lifting wage freeze

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I would really be interested in knowing how many citys/towns etc pay there crossing gaurds 10.15 an hour and offer them health insurance and retirement.
    It would interesting to know if any other towns/city's have crossing gaurds.

I would really be interested in knowing how many citys/towns etc pay there crossing gaurds 10.15 an hour and offer them health insurance and retirement.
    No comparisons to other areas outside of Buffalo allowed. It would make too much sense to run Buffalo like thriving areas around the US.

I a pretty well traveled guy and I dont think I ever heard anyone say they retired from being a school crossing gaurd.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I a pretty well traveled guy and I dont think I ever heard anyone say they retired from being a school crossing gaurd.
    My cousin! I swear it--I believe she had to retire early because of her health but she did retire a crossing guard.
    Peace Out Funky

These crossing guards are certainly not over paid. They do a good job out there protecting school kids in busy intersections in the worst weather imaginable. This is Buffalo, not San Diego. By the comments here it appears to be a thankless job. They did get a raw deal on this contract and as was noted by DH it is a step back. As far as concern for the interests of absentee land lords (those property owners who kept grandmas house and rent it out for a tax write of) the hell with them. They are a big part of the reason this city is the way it is. If they don't like it let them sell.
    You people sound like idiots.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    These crossing guards are certainly not over paid. They do a good job out there protecting school kids in busy intersections in the worst weather imaginable. This is Buffalo, not San Diego. By the comments here it appears to be a thankless job. They did get a raw deal on this contract and as was noted by DH it is a step back. As far as concern for the interests of absentee land lords (those property owners who kept grandmas house and rent it out for a tax write of) the hell with them. They are a big part of the reason this city is the way it is. If they don't like it let them sell.
    You people sound like idiots.
    What you are blind to see is the fact that it is a PAID position in the first place. What other city in the US has PAID crossing guards mouse?

Those absentee landlords pay for your sorry ass guy. The tax check cashes the same.

You sound like the idiot but you always have. I may come accross as an A-hole but at least I am right.

I love how the city pays crossing guards and the school district pays bus aides so that the little kiddies can make it to school and back safely. Don't want them getting hurt before they hit the crack pipe when they get back home.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

This is another cost that the city must pay to operate unlike our surbuban counterparts.

Deerhunter, would you be in favor of raising your town's taxes to hire for crossing guards for your schools? While we are at it, let's get paid fireman, get rid of underwriting and got to licensing, get some full-time councilmembers, etc.

Citymouse you in favor of those ideas? Why let the suburbs get away with operating at a lower levels, let's spread the waste!

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    This is another cost that the city must pay to operate unlike our surbuban counterparts.

Deerhunter, would you be in favor of raising your town's taxes to hire for crossing guards for your schools? While we are at it, let's get paid fireman, get rid of underwriting and got to licensing, get some full-time councilmembers, etc.

Citymouse you in favor of those ideas? Why let the suburbs get away with operating at a lower levels, let's spread the waste!

I don't live in the suburbs. I can only say what I am willing to pay for, and as a taxpayer, would consider an acceptable level of service from my local government.
    If I lived in the suburbs I certainly would want full time professionals staffing the emergency units such as fire and rescue. I also would feel better with crossing guards that are hired because I think continuity is important. The same person assigned to the same corner who gets to know the children and the traffic patterns and things like that.
    Did you ever stop to consider that these are examples of why I don't live in the Burbs.
    If you feel they are getting away with something than that would be up to you as a resident and taxpayer to change. I can't have an opinion on what they "get away with" because I don't live there. I only know I wouldn't find it acceptable not to have what we have in Buffalo in those regards.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Quote Originally Posted by NoCtUrNaL
    Don't want them getting hurt before they hit the crack pipe when they get back home.

What a stupid assinine remark. Another one of these suburbanites who is afraid to come downtown because there are .. oh no, (shudder)... COLORED PEOPLE lurking in the alley ways.
    I hope you get kicked by a deer when your out mowing your lawn.
    Now excuse me. I have to go sit on the couch on my front porch and drink my wine out of a paper bag while wating for my woman to whore me up some heroin.
    Maybe I'll catch a couple of drive bys while I am passing the time.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    is I may come accross as an A-hole but at least I am right.
    Your half right anyway. The first half of the quoted comment.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    I don't live in the suburbs. I can only say what I am willing to pay for, and as a taxpayer, would consider an acceptable level of service from my local government.
    If I lived in the suburbs I certainly would want full time professionals staffing the emergency units such as fire and rescue. I also would feel better with crossing guards that are hired because I think continuity is important. The same person assigned to the same corner who gets to know the children and the traffic patterns and things like that.
    Did you ever stop to consider that these are examples of why I don't live in the Burbs.
    If you feel they are getting away with something than that would be up to you as a resident and taxpayer to change. I can't have an opinion on what they "get away with" because I don't live there. I only know I wouldn't find it acceptable not to have what we have in Buffalo in those regards.
    I have to say I respect your answer about not living in the suburbs and not taking the bait on that challenge, but I do have to interject something here.
    I would NOT want the same person assigned to the same corner and the same kids. This is the type of situation that is ripe for people that would take advantage of children. I don't like to sound paranoid, but what is the first thing that people say when someone like Sanchez or Gacy et.al. are caught???

Apologies for taking this a tad off course, but this is something I feel strongly about, whether it's city or suburbs!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    I have to say I respect your answer about not living in the suburbs and not taking the bait on that challenge, but I do have to interject something here.
    I would NOT want the same person assigned to the same corner and the same kids. This is the type of situation that is ripe for people that would take advantage of children. I don't like to sound paranoid, but what is the first thing that people say when someone like Sanchez or Gacy et.al. are caught???

Apologies for taking this a tad off course, but this is something I feel strongly about, whether it's city or suburbs!

I can't say your off base. But you would hope that these people are screened. I think if you have voulenteers you have a better chance of something innappropriate. If people aren't being paid then you may not be so particular about who is doing it. Sancez dosen't apply, but gacy used to voulenteer at youth events, I think he even dressed as a clown.
    Some one who is doing it to supplement their income would be more likley to traet as income, not an opportunity to threaten children.
    In my humble opinion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information