Thread: Old Style Politics

Old Style Politics

Well, for those out there who are afraid that Hillary is really the spawn of the Devil, at least we can see that Obama can stand the sunlight!
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I kind of wish the three of them would take the gloves and start swinging. Whoever wins needs to be prepared for the what the Republicans will do and none of them, save for Hillary, are even remotely prepared.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    I kind of wish the three of them would take the gloves and start swinging. Whoever wins needs to be prepared for the what the Republicans will do and none of them, save for Hillary, are even remotely prepared.

This is my biggest concern and fear, what I think you're getting at. As much of a clusterf#@k as the Republican field is, they're going to have their nomination soon, most likely after Super Tuesday. If, say, McCain emerges as the nominee or inevitable nominee on ST, and it's still close between Hillary and Barack, and Barack stays in, it will be a catastrophe for the Democrats if you have the two of them tearing each other apart and the Republican able to attack them, with his party united behind him (I'm having nightmares of the last EC Exec Primary/General Election).
    Which is why, does anyone else think, it's becoming UNFORTUNATELY, more and more likely that this scenario happens: Hillary pulls off the bulk of the ST states, but Barack has enough to keep going. He says after the results he's going to keep on trucking, and then after a few days, bam he's her VP running mate, if only for the sake of party unity and to not have the Republicans attacking them while they're busy attacking each other?

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloagain
    This is my biggest concern and fear, what I think you're getting at. As much of a clusterf#@k as the Republican field is, they're going to have their nomination soon, most likely after Super Tuesday. If, say, McCain emerges as the nominee or inevitable nominee on ST, and it's still close between Hillary and Barack, and Barack stays in, it will be a catastrophe for the Democrats if you have the two of them tearing each other apart and the Republican able to attack them, with his party united behind him (I'm having nightmares of the last EC Exec Primary/General Election).
    I think we differ in that I'd like the Democrats tear each other apart. That's what primaries are for. Get that crap out in the open (the more reading I do, the more I think Obama might have some dirt that needs to be addressed by the party before he gets pwned in a general election.) Glossing over any weaknesses or "being nice" to each other does nothing but set the candidates up for disaster once the Republican Noise Machine™ turns their attention their way.

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloagain
    Which is why, does anyone else think, it's becoming UNFORTUNATELY, more and more likely that this scenario happens: Hillary pulls off the bulk of the ST states, but Barack has enough to keep going. He says after the results he's going to keep on trucking, and then after a few days, bam he's her VP running mate, if only for the sake of party unity and to not have the Republicans attacking them while they're busy attacking each other?
    Until the National Convention, screw party unity. Most Democrats can find a reason to get along, so use this time to set aside to define the party and actually define it, not play nice with each other in a macabre "everybody get along" production. Argument, dissent and tension are necessary ingredients in any healthy democratic republic, even between one's own ideological allies. So let them go at each other. No matter what they do, they won't even come close to matching the attacks the Republican are planning to lay on any of the candidates. And they need to be ready for that.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    I think we differ in that I'd like the Democrats tear each other apart. That's what primaries are for. Get that crap out in the open (the more reading I do, the more I think Obama might have some dirt that needs to be addressed by the party before he gets pwned in a general election.) Glossing over any weaknesses or "being nice" to each other does nothing but set the candidates up for disaster once the Republican Noise Machine™ turns their attention their way.

Until the National Convention, screw party unity. Most Democrats can find a reason to get along, so use this time to set aside to define the party and actually define it, not play nice with each other in a macabre "everybody get along" production. Argument, dissent and tension are necessary ingredients in any healthy democratic republic, even between one's own ideological allies. So let them go at each other. No matter what they do, they won't even come close to matching the attacks the Republican are planning to lay on any of the candidates. And they need to be ready for that.
    We do differ there. For me, there's a difference between debating and getting everything out in the open during the primary, and insults like insinuating the other candidate is a racist, when that is obviously not the truth. Barack let that s#!t fly for a week before he said anything.

And, too, the way the Democratic party has been the last few years, they need to get their act together, get in shape, and try to win. It's an ideal that dissent and questioning and all that other yada should be involved... but, to me, for them, this election should be a win for them at any cost... even if that cost be becoming united. Because a Democratic administration would be far better than anything the Republicans are offering (save Obama.)

Thread Information