Thread: Kohl’s to put first store in Buffalo

Kohl’s to put first store in Buffalo

Kohl’s Corp. has picked a longtime retail site off Delaware Avenue for its first store in the city of Buffalo.

Benderson Development Co. announced Monday it will demolish a vacant department store at 2232 Delaware Ave., which was formerly home to Hills and Ames, to make way for a new 88,000-square-foot Kohl’s store.
    “We’re overjoyed Kohl’s has chosen Delaware Commons for its first City of Buffalo store,” said Erie Recoon, Benderson’s Northeast Division vice president for leasing.

Barring any hitches obtaining demolition and construction permits, Benderson anticipates razing the existing retail structure this winter, followed by a fast-track construction schedule that would see Kohl’s open late next fall.

“It’s an ambitious timetable, but it’s doable. The goal is to get it open for holiday ’08,” Recoon said.

The Benderson executive said the existing 82,000-square-foot retail building, which began life as a Hills Department Store in 1982, cannot be retrofitted for Kohl’s use.

Kohl’s, a clothing-focused dis- counter which operates more than 900 stores across the U.S., entered the Buffalo market in 2005. The retailer has locations in Amherst, Williamsville, Lancaster and Orchard Park.

Neither Benderson, nor Kohl’s plan to seek any tax abatements or other government financial aid for the $3.4 million project. The new store is expected to employ 135 people

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/252030.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Local Author Sees Significance in a Decision by Kohl's to Build In Buffalo

"I think it's gonna be a good thing for the city itself."

That's the opinion of local author Mike Rizzo regarding Monday’s announcement that Kohl's Department Stores, one of the nation's fastest growing chains, will build its fifth local store but first one within Buffalo city limits.

Mayor Byron Brown, flanked by officials of the Benderson Development Corporation made the announcement that Kohl's will be coming to the Delaware Commons, a collection of reclaimed retail spaces near Delaware and Hertel Avenues in North Buffalo.

Kohl's will tear down a former Ames department store which has been abandoned for five years, and erect an 88,000 square foot store which it hopes to have open before the end of this year.

Rizzo, the author of "Nine Nine Eight: The Glory Days of Buffalo Shopping" told 2 On Your Side you'd have to go back a couple of generations to find the last time a retailer like Kohl's actually built a store within city limits.

"The best I can figure is probably 50 years since a high end department store opened," he said, adding that, "Kohl's is not just another discount store or dollar store. This is a higher end department store which is taking a chance on the city."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=54447
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

That's good news to me!

They're doing a lot of development on Delaware, it's good to see.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister
    That's good news to me!

They're doing a lot of development on Delaware, it's good to see.
    Yeah, I cannot wait until the day I move back home and into my old neighborhood
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

It is nice to see businesses coming to that area. It looks much better than the empty storefront. Let's hope they have more staying power than Ames or Hills. Just seems like the area's pretty crowded with retail already...

Do you forget...

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    "I think it's gonna be a good thing for the city itself."

That's the opinion of local author Mike Rizzo regarding Monday’s announcement that Kohl's Department Stores, one of the nation's fastest growing chains, will build its fifth local store but first one within Buffalo city limits.

Mayor Byron Brown, flanked by officials of the Benderson Development Corporation made the announcement that Kohl's will be coming to the Delaware Commons, a collection of reclaimed retail spaces near Delaware and Hertel Avenues in North Buffalo.

Kohl's will tear down a former Ames department store which has been abandoned for five years, and erect an 88,000 square foot store which it hopes to have open before the end of this year.

Rizzo, the author of "Nine Nine Eight: The Glory Days of Buffalo Shopping" told 2 On Your Side you'd have to go back a couple of generations to find the last time a retailer like Kohl's actually built a store within city limits.

"The best I can figure is probably 50 years since a high end department store opened," he said, adding that, "Kohl's is not just another discount store or dollar store. This is a higher end department store which is taking a chance on the city."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=54447
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kohl's and Target are certainly very similar, and Target invested in its North Buffalo location on Delaware Ave only a few short years ago- 6 years ago, maybe? In addition, when people say there's "no retail in Buffalo"- well, have they missed Elmwood Ave, Allentown, Hertel, S Buffalo, and Elmwood and Delaware (north of Delaware Park)? There's a huge variety!!!

It's a little like saying, there's nothing to do in Buffalo! Pshaw!

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    Mike Rizzo: "This is a higher end department store which is taking a chance on the city."
    This is the the stupid negativity that Buffalo fights each day, the moronic babble of an idiot. Taking a chance my ass, when Kmart was closing all it's stores, the one located on Hertel was left open, why? Because it beats out all other local Kmart stores.

This guy needs a few courses in economics and less time buying ladies lingerie.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    This is the the stupid negativity that Buffalo fights each day, the moronic babble of an idiot. Taking a chance my ass, when Kmart was closing all it's stores, the one located on Hertel was left open, why? Because it beats out all other local Kmart stores.

This guy needs a few courses in economics and less time buying ladies lingerie.

You two must know each other- intimately! LOL

South bflo

Hopefully Benderson can get someone to locate into the old Gold Circle plaza on Seneca near the city line. I'm pretty sure they own that plaza.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Thread Information