Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Board Meeting of 1/14/08

Town Board Meeting of 1/14/08

Tonight I attended the WS Town Board meeting.

Overall I get a positive sense about the new administration. I had an opportunity to meet briefly with each of the new board members. Mr. Piotrowski announced that the first department to be reviewed is the Town Attorneys office and then the Recreation Department, Youth Bureau, etc.

The topic of the evening was the Senior Center and its staffing since a recent retirement.

The bidding on the utilities were not in fact done despite the representations at the last couple of meetings in 07.

Attached is a copy of my remarks at tonight's meeting.

In my talk with Mrs. Meegan she advised me that she would look into my questions.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I just read the WS Bee article on this meeting. It is interesting that Mr. Graber would accuse Mr. Clarke of attempting to hold up the appointment of Mr. Graber's brother-in-law (which Mr. Graber did not disclose this relationship at the TB meeting) because allegedly Mr. Clarke wanted it for his friend.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Who is Mr. Clarke ?

The West Seneca Bee made it sound like this meeting did not go well. Why would Piotrowski withhold information from Bove and Clarke that the Board needs to vote on that day? It sounds like more childish antics. I had a feeling that a Judge would not translate well into government management because Judges are all powerful, masters of their court. They live in a world where they don't have to cooperate or compromise. Running a government means you have to work with other elected officials even if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma
    Who is Mr. Clarke ?
    Dale Clarke is one of the new members of the Town Board after winning in this past November's elections.

The meeting had its bumps and it will be interesting how the next several meetings go.

It's nice to see business picking up a little. I agree, there were some bumps but most were erected by Mr. Clark. And, no Pumpkin, nothing was withheld. Like all agendas, everything is posted at FOUR days in advance. Tina and Dale knew EVERYTHING. And look on the bright side. More press in 16 days than in the last 16 years. Hopefully, things will stay interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by erlyrizr1
    Tina and Dale knew EVERYTHING.
    Tina Bove wants to be reelected, so she wants to develop an identity. You are providing her the script. She wants to get Dale Clarke to be her puppet. Hopefully, he will be open minded, and be his own man. If all his votes are lock step with hers, Bove's, that will speak volumes.

Sorry I missed it! Business issues got in the way.
    I'll be there on the 28th. Hope to see you there!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by Niagara
    Tina Bove wants to be reelected, so she wants to develop an identity. You are providing her the script. She wants to get Dale Clarke to be her puppet. Hopefully, he will be open minded, and be his own man. If all his votes are lock step with hers, Bove's, that will speak volumes.
    Bove's had a few years to develop her identity. I don't believe she knows which direction to go in. As for Dale, this seems like the case. Two meetings and Dale hasn't strayed from his master. Kind of surprising. Watching him pester the old Board gave some of us hope. Thought he would be his own man. Looks like WP, VG, and SM are forming a bloc. Time will tell if he jumps ship and goes that way.

When you say "forming a block" - that is troubling. They are all democrats elected by the public. Each one should be thinking for themselves and acting on behalf of the voters. Cozy relationships are a cause for concern. It will be the same old business as usual - decisions made in secret and just vote as a block at the Board meetings with no discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead
    When you say "forming a block" - that is troubling. They are all democrats elected by the public. Each one should be thinking for themselves and acting on behalf of the voters. Cozy relationships are a cause for concern. It will be the same old business as usual - decisions made in secret and just vote as a block at the Board meetings with no discussions.
    Of course it is troubling, and in a backward way. The biggest issue in my opinion is the Burchfield Park. I think the BP has been the biggest improvement in the town in my decades here, and I feel it is danger of stupidity and short sightedness.
    As someone has previously suggested here, a police station, or building inspection offices in the onetime Burchfield Park building: Maybeeee.
    Getting rid of Americorp will surely help the town also. It will cost the town in lost revenue, and programs, but what the heck. Less is not more.
    And of course get rid of Mark Lazzarra, and replace him with a WP appointee. Trouble is alot of labor used to run youth programs comes from Americorp. ML will take his program elsewhere.
    Last edited by Niagara; January 24th, 2008 at 06:26 PM.

Huh?

Don't follow ya on Burchfield. Stupidity and short sightedness? In what way? By who? The town? Americorp? And let me get this straight. YOU want Piotrowski to get rid of ML? I thought YOU were one of his biggest fans.

Quote Originally Posted by erlyrizr1
    Don't follow ya on Burchfield. Stupidity and short sightedness? In what way? By who? The town? Americorp? And let me get this straight. YOU want Piotrowski to get rid of ML? I thought YOU were one of his biggest fans.
    My information is that WP has turned on everyone who supported him, including ML. He wants Americorp gone by Oct., and wants to populate the Burchfield Building with town offices. It is ludicrous but true. The harping on this forum seems to have provided the script for Bove and WP. WP wants his cronie in as Rec Dir. Graber (whose wife works for Americorp), will vote what ever way the majority of votes flow.
    Trying to do a cost benefit analysis as WT Warren suggested amounts to an estimated 22 million dollars in stimulis. The amount to the town is I am sure less, but can be estimated in the millions. Mark Schroeder is a ML/Americorp supporter. Perhaps they can move into S Buffalo, and stimulate there. WP seems to think the building inspections offices and police station would be better at the Burchfield. He even said that the name can be changed, even though the Burchfield family contributed 200,000 seed money for the park.
    I only hope that some sense can be directed into those idiots who now populate the WS Town Board. Perhaps a petition drive. Phone and email drive. Attend the board meetings enmass. I thought that the park was very popular, and part of improved property values in the town, but who knows. From some of the past posts here, who know.

BTW, for general knowledge, rent and grants from Americorp has paid for the park, and the houses. Americorp has benefited the town, not vice versa.
    Last edited by Niagara; January 24th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.

I believe that overall Americorps is good for the area and Town however, this apparent cozy relationship between ML with the WS Schools, Town and Americorps is overshadowing the good. Mrs. Meegan put it best at the TB meeting (paraphrasing) you can only serve one master.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information