Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If there were some middle upper class...

Tony Fracasso - Admin

If there were some middle upper class...

Bannister
    I'm not very familiar with South Buffalo.

I did live in the Old First Ward for 2 years when I first moved to WNY, but I don't remember much about it. It was a very poor neighborhood (including me! I was just out of college and trying to find a job). I don't think I've been back to S. Buffalo in at least 10 years.

Does South Buffalo have any residential neighborhoods with homes in the $150-200k range? I think if there were some upper middle class residential areas, that would really help it to be successful.
    What percentage do you think of upper middle class is needed in a nieghborhood?

How or why do you think they would help?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    What percentage do you think of upper middle class is needed in a nieghborhood?

How or why do you think they would help?
    I really have no opinion on "what percentages" are needed in a community but I do believe that upper middle class housing helps by adding to the tax base.

There are currently 4 properties listed in the 100-150k range in Potter and McKinley area.

Six properties in that area sold in the 100-150k range in the past six months.

This is limited to properties advertised on the MLS. FSBO's not included.

I would say it depends on the neighborhood. For example if the first ward and outer harbor where developed "as proposed by a few in a couple of Leftys threads", I would say, make it 45% upper middle, 45% middle, and 10% elite.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And where do you suppose the lower income families go?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    I really have no opinion on "what percentages" are needed in a community but I do believe that upper middle class housing helps by adding to the tax base.
    Not only that, but I would imagine they would pump some dollars into the local merchants.

seems

the houses up off Elmwood are commanding big numbers. Granted they are very big homes, some of which are being divided and rented out as rooms.
    Mckinley Pkwy has some very nice homes on it. Coolige, Whitfield between Mckinley and Abbott, Arbor Lane, Brost, Morgan Pkwy all have houses that will go for 100 or better. Aside from that , 90k will buy you a house in St Thomies, St Martins, St Agathas, and parts of Holy Family. On the other side of the crick, St Thresas, St Johns, you can pick up a house for 65k. Less than that in Seneca Babcock. Upper middle class are up in N Bflo. That has helped Hertel and Elmwood. They have extra income and can afford to go out to dinner, shop, drink, and do things upper middle class people do. People are moving out of S Bflo when they can afford it. That has hurt the area.

Unregistered
    see I think that is an issue for South Buffalo, if the majority of homes are between 65k and 150k then a smart developer would crunch some numbers and some demographics to consider whether a small residential or mixed use would sell. I think it would.

According to the above posts as soon as your income allows you to reach above a 150k home then your priced out of south buffalo and you have to move but im betting that not everyone is that eager and that there is an underserved and ignored population that would choose to stay if housing was available.

If

there was a sudden end to forced busing, and the City negotiated a residency law for newly hired Cops and Firemen. You might then see people want to stay in S.Bflo. But until Curtin dies, that decision won't be reversed. I feel he has done immeasurable damage to the City of Bflo, esp S. Bflo.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    And where do you suppose the lower income families go?
    Anywhere they can afford to. And it sounds like, according to some posts here, SB has affordable housing. There is plenty to choose from on the east side. And hey, there is land for sale and places for rent in the surrounding counties too.

Perhaps compensation for 1st ward people would be proposed like this -
    owner occupied home - 100k
    landloard - payed as per appraisal plus what is equal to 2 months of rent.
    renter - payed equal to 3 months living expenses plus moving expenses.
    tenants in public housing on the public dole - 4 months expenses and an expiration date of when benefit with cease.

Buh By!!!

I dont think it would be wise to have very low income and welfare people living within or next to an area like the one proposed for the harbor, buf river, and 1st ward.If they take the oppertunity given to them, and then come back with the ability to live in one of the middle income condos, that would be fantastic! And it would prove the strategy worked.

Brian Higgins

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    the houses up off Elmwood are commanding big numbers. Granted they are very big homes, some of which are being divided and rented out as rooms.
    Mckinley Pkwy has some very nice homes on it. Coolige, Whitfield between Mckinley and Abbott, Arbor Lane, Brost, Morgan Pkwy all have houses that will go for 100 or better. Aside from that , 90k will buy you a house in St Thomies, St Martins, St Agathas, and parts of Holy Family. On the other side of the crick, St Thresas, St Johns, you can pick up a house for 65k. Less than that in Seneca Babcock. Upper middle class are up in N Bflo. That has helped Hertel and Elmwood. They have extra income and can afford to go out to dinner, shop, drink, and do things upper middle class people do. People are moving out of S Bflo when they can afford it. That has hurt the area.
    HEY! Congressman Higgins lives on Morgan!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    According to the above posts as soon as your income allows you to reach above a 150k home then your priced out of south buffalo and you have to move but im betting that not everyone is that eager and that there is an underserved and ignored population that would choose to stay if housing was available.
    That's becuase you're paying too much taxes while sending your child to Catholic school.

Deerhunter is right. If busing were not an issue along with residency requirements for police and fire. SB could turn around on a dime.

Really???

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    Mckinley Pkwy has some very nice homes on it. Coolige, Whitfield between Mckinley and Abbott, Arbor Lane, Brost, Morgan Pkwy all have houses that will go for 100 or better. Aside from that , 90k will buy you a house in St Thomies, St Martins, St Agathas, and parts of Holy Family. On the other side of the crick, St Thresas, St Johns, you can pick up a house for 65k. Less than that in Seneca Babcock. Upper middle class are up in N Bflo. That has helped Hertel and Elmwood. They have extra income and can afford to go out to dinner, shop, drink, and do things upper middle class people do.[/SIZE][/SIZE] People are moving out of S Bflo when they can afford it. That has hurt the area.
    Do things upper middle class people do? Do you really know the difference between middle and upper middle class? I don't think so.

Reminds me of the admonishments Fr. Tom Beasley used to tell the fine people of Orchard Park (those perfect former S Buffalonian's!): You forget wher you came from!

South Buffalo is a state of mind!

Quote Originally Posted by thurstone
    Do things upper middle class people do? Do you really know the difference between middle and upper middle class? I don't think so.
    So what do you feel is the difference? Let's say on a family size fo four.

Middle Class Earnings: ___________________
    Upper Middle Class Earnings: ___________________

Fill in the blanks, please.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    So what do you feel is the difference? Let's say on a family size fo four.

Middle Class Earnings: ___________________
    Upper Middle Class Earnings: ___________________

Fill in the blanks, please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information