Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to begin a Seneca Street Biz org?

TimeOut Chair

How to begin a Seneca Street Biz org?

After some comments in the Seneca Street threads, I've been thinking about what's really needed... an organization true to the businesses of South Buffalo.

There were suggestions of the same org created for Elmwood.

Who can help with this? Who knows of a business on Seneca Street that might benefit from a business org.

I'm looking for serious commentary, please.

TimeOut Chair
    Strictly asking on the grounds of it being political-free....

Why not setup an independent neighborhood/business organization like the ones Elmwood and Allentown have. Start off with mostly volunteer to push for city funding on street improvements. Organize state/county grants for facade improvments. Once the ball starts rolling you could tackle bigger projects.

I don't know that area well, but if you could petition all the businesses to donate their support it would send a bigger signal to city hall.

"forever elmwood" is the name in the elmwood village...

.....come up with a name......"positive South Buffalo"....or...So Nice Seneca St"....or some such thing....get some literature with your game plan on it and start spreading the word....get people involved...make sure there are reasons for them to get involved.....there it is...the ball's in your court...

TimeOut Chair
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Why not setup an independent neighborhood/business organization like the ones Elmwood and Allentown have. Start off with mostly volunteer to push for city funding on street improvements. Organize state/county grants for facade improvments. Once the ball starts rolling you could tackle bigger projects.

I don't know that area well, but if you could petition all the businesses to donate their support it would send a bigger signal to city hall.
    Thank you. That is exactly my thinking.

Would anything have to be filed to be an org that gets funding? Where can I find the "how-to" of creating a board of directors, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    "forever elmwood" is the name in the elmwood village......
    They recently changed it to the Elmwood Village Association
    I agree that marketing is half the battle. For most people, Seneca street is a big unknown.

TimeOut Chair
    "forever elmwood" is the name in the elmwood village...

.....come up with a name......"positive South Buffalo"....or...So Nice Seneca St"....or some such thing....get some literature with your game plan on it and start spreading the word....get people involved...make sure there are reasons for them to get involved.....there it is...the ball's in your court...
    There are a few little orgs that are on target with Seneca Street, but are politically connected. Orgs that aren't doing much but feeding to the "soap box". This has not worked as of yet, just another grandstand for pols when campaigning. I would just want to see this of businesses & property owners, not the pols or their cronies.

A lit-drop is a good idea to help spread the word.

First off, I would suggest that you go door to door to the local businesses and see what they think. Offer your time to assist in gathering information on their behalf. Without them, it is pointless.

I would also contact Seneca Rising, Inc./ The Argyle Club. They already have 70 members and doing what you want. Website
    "Seneca Rising is a non-profit organization formed by the citizens of the Seneca Street community. We are dedicated to revitalizing this neighborhood through our efforts in economic development, community awareness, civic activism and the re-birth of the Seneca Street strip. Our overall goal is to unite the people of Seneca Street into a "community of neighbors" and to improve the quality of life. We will come together and work with leaders to remove absentee landlords, clean up Seneca Street and leave this community in a better state for the next generation."

Then if you get some buy in, contact Justin Azzarella at Forever Elmwood. He is the Executive Director.

Side note - Justin is from Williamsville. I always laugh at the tools who say if you are not in the city or from the city you should not have a voice. One of the biggest positive movements in the city is led by a guy from the burbs.

Forever Elmwood
    890 Elmwood Avenue
    Buffalo NY 14222
    Phone 716-881-0707

Once you get a meeting, which I do not think will be hard, call the office of Micky and see if someone from his staff can come along.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    Would anything have to be filed to be an org that gets funding? Where can I find the "how-to" of creating a board of directors, etc?
    I bet if you contacted the Elmwood Village Assoc (EVA) they would be happy to help you find the right place to start. They mention a "Local Initiatives Support Corp" on their website. That may be something to ask about. City Hall may also have some info.

This is from the EVA website:
    What is The Elmwood Village Association?
    In 1994, The Elmwood Village Association was founded by a partnership of business owners and residents, received its not for profit status, and has been serving citizens of Buffalo for 10 years. The purpose of The Elmwood Village Association is to preserve and protect the unique and historic nature of Elmwood Avenue and its surrounding neighborhoods by increasing civic involvement and encouraging neighborhood commercial revit alization. The long-term goals of the organization are: to strengthen the economic competitiveness of the neighborhood commercial district and to improve the quality of life in the surrounding neighborhoods. The short-term goals are: to identify mechanisms to foster economic growth, to promote stabilization of the neighborhoods, and to work with governmental offices that can have a positive impact on the area.

In September of 2000, The Elmwood Village Association hired its first executive director. The hiring was made possible by a partnership with the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) and the City of Buffalo. The Executive Director of The Elmwood Village Association is charged with ensuring the continued revitalization of the Elmwood Village. This is being done by using a comprehensive approach to revitalization based on the Main Street Initiative model known as the four-point approach. The four-point approach involves setting up committees that look at urban design, promotion and marketing, economic restructuring, and organization.

i think forever elmwood still exists...i'll check on that....

woody....talk to two or three sharp retailers who are there....there's your core group,if they jump in with you....and make sure you have a game plan....a big picture that is bigger than what you might be thinking now....give everyone a reason to join...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is wrong with the South Buffalo Chamber of Commerce though? Why are the current businesses that may be interested in thier own organization not active with that group?

Why can't the local chamber members pick a new chamber president from a currently successful business in south buffalo?

TimeOut Chair
    Thanks for the info lefty and 300m.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    Thanks for the info lefty and 300m.

i guess i'm chopped liver...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    What is wrong with the South Buffalo Chamber of Commerce though? Why are the current businesses that may be interested in thier own organization not active with that group?

Why can't the local chamber members pick a new chamber president from a currently successful business in south buffalo?

From what I have been told the chamber is useless. Old blood in other words.

TimeOut Chair
    i guess i'm chopped liver...
    A lit-drop is a good idea to help spread the word.
    Sorry. Thanks puff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information