Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing Up for what's right!

Standing Up for what's right!

I happened to read the below article and must commend Councilwoman Haxton for standing up for what is right! What this council did was wrong and she tried to make it right and got shot down. Don't give up, Councilwoman! We need more people like you!

By Harold McNeil NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 01/03/08 6:57 AM

Councilwoman Andrea Haxton said she was excluded from meeting.
    Lackawanna lawmakers Wednesday appointed a Magnolia Street resident to fill a vacancy on the City Council over the objections of First Ward Council Member Andrea Haxton.

Francis Kulczyk, a retired Bethlehem Steel employee and Democratic committeeman, was appointed to fill the vacancy left by former Third Ward Council Member Charles Jaworski, who was elected to a four-year term as Council president last November. However, Jaworski’s term as Third Ward Council member is not set to expire until Dec. 31, 2010.

Kulczyk’s term expires Dec. 31.

Haxton said she was excluded from a meeting with members of the Democratic Executive Committee, which recommended that Kulczyk be appointed to fill the Council vacancy, even though she had requested in writing that she be included in the decision-making process.

Haxton abstained from voting on Kulczyk’s appointment, telling him she did not have a quarrel with his qualifications but with the process that chose him. Kulczyk’s appointment lasts only until Third Ward residents vote in the fall on a candidate to fill the remainder of Jaworski’s unexpired term.

Meanwhile, Haxton also insisted that Wednesday’s reorganizational meeting was held illegally because she was not personally informed of the special meeting.

“I was not notified by 48 hours, in writing, at my house. A neighbor had to call me on the telephone and tell me about this meeting. . . . You’re violating the [city] charter,” Haxton told Jaworski.

“Take the roll call,” Jaworski shouted over Haxton, as he addressed City Clerk Jacqueline A. Caferro.

“It’s wrong,” Haxton continued.

“You’re out of order. Sit down now,” Jaworski ordered Haxton, while pounding his gavel.

Since winning election as the first woman to sit on the City Council in 2005, Haxton has had a contentious relationship with her Council colleagues.

Haxton insists that she is being undermined by her colleagues and often left out of decision- making process.

The City Council Tuesday also reappointed Caferro to a four-year term as city clerk and voted to appoint Second Ward Councilman Geoffrey M. Szymanski as Council president pro tempore, also over Haxton’s objection.

hmcneil@buffnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth
    I happened to read the below article and must commend Councilwoman Haxton for standing up for what is right! What this council did was wrong and she tried to make it right and got shot down. Don't give up, Councilwoman! We need more people like you!
    It's worse than you think. These arrogant *&^#s actually got up and walked out of a meeting while she was talking. No adjournment, just left!!

Problem is not enough people get involved and the Dems get reelectedandreelectedandreelectedandreelected.

It is a slap in the face to everyone!

Look at my post from earlier, they raised taxes over 25% or 2 million dollars and pat themselves on the back!!

By Harold McNeil NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 01/03/08 6:57 AM

Councilwoman Andrea Haxton said she was excluded from meeting.
    Lackawanna lawmakers Wednesday appointed a Magnolia Street resident to fill a vacancy on the City Council over the objections of First Ward Council Member Andrea Haxton.

Francis Kulczyk, a retired Bethlehem Steel employee and Democratic committeeman, was appointed to fill the vacancy left by former Third Ward Council Member Charles Jaworski, who was elected to a four-year term as Council president last November. However, Jaworski’s term as Third Ward Council member is not set to expire until Dec. 31, 2010.

Kulczyk’s term expires Dec. 31.

Haxton said she was excluded from a meeting with members of the Democratic Executive Committee, which recommended that Kulczyk be appointed to fill the Council vacancy, even though she had requested in writing that she be included in the decision-making process.

Haxton abstained from voting on Kulczyk’s appointment, telling him she did not have a quarrel with his qualifications but with the process that chose him. Kulczyk’s appointment lasts only until Third Ward residents vote in the fall on a candidate to fill the remainder of Jaworski’s unexpired term.

Meanwhile, Haxton also insisted that Wednesday’s reorganizational meeting was held illegally because she was not personally informed of the special meeting.

“I was not notified by 48 hours, in writing, at my house. A neighbor had to call me on the telephone and tell me about this meeting. . . . You’re violating the [city] charter,” Haxton told Jaworski.

“Take the roll call,” Jaworski shouted over Haxton, as he addressed City Clerk Jacqueline A. Caferro.

“It’s wrong,” Haxton continued.

“You’re out of order. Sit down now,” Jaworski ordered Haxton, while pounding his gavel.

Since winning election as the first woman to sit on the City Council in 2005, Haxton has had a contentious relationship with her Council colleagues.

Haxton insists that she is being undermined by her colleagues and often left out of decision- making process.

The City Council Tuesday also reappointed Caferro to a four-year term as city clerk and voted to appoint Second Ward Councilman Geoffrey M. Szymanski as Council president pro tempore, also over Haxton’s objection.

hmcneil@buffnews.com
    Sometimes it is hard to be the person standing alone fighting an uphill battle against the entire system, but in the end at least Ms. Haxton can sleep at night knowing she did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    Sometimes it is hard to be the person standing alone fighting an uphill battle against the entire system, but in the end at least Ms. Haxton can sleep at night knowing she did the right thing.
    The rest of the clowns sleep well too, as they don't have any idea what they are doing is actually wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    The rest of the clowns sleep well too, as they don't have any idea what they are doing is actually wrong.
    I'm surprised after reading the article in the Buffalo News that more people haven't stepped forward to stop the politics. Where would one report such unethical antics by a city board?

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    I'm surprised after reading the article in the Buffalo News that more people haven't stepped forward to stop the politics. Where would one report such unethical antics by a city board?
    Talk to the local papers, The Front Page in Lackawanna, maybe the Hamburg Sun, call the News and ask who the reporter assigned to the Lackawanna area is.

Great!!!

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this news story. My hats off to a city council who has reached an all time low. What will it take for the people of this city to open their eyes to the abuse, corruption, and dirty politics that take place??? GET OUT AND VOTE!!! Keep electing your friends and buddies in return for favors and jobs in the city and elsewhere!!! I felt sick when I read the news story! Well.... be proud that we now have a city council that instead of upholding our rights now sets out to limit them!!!

What is the consequence for violation of the city charter in not allowing a councilmember to speak???? People of this city should be ashamed that our city is furthur being dragged through the mud!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gork315
    I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this news story. My hats off to a city council who has reached an all time low. What will it take for the people of this city to open their eyes to the abuse, corruption, and dirty politics that take place??? GET OUT AND VOTE!!! Keep electing your friends and buddies in return for favors and jobs in the city and elsewhere!!! I felt sick when I read the news story! Well.... be proud that we now have a city council that instead of upholding our rights now sets out to limit them!!!

What is the consequence for violation of the city charter in not allowing a councilmember to speak???? People of this city should be ashamed that our city is furthur being dragged through the mud!!
    Fell out of your chair????

Then I guess you didn't see the story from a couple months ago when thealmighty Dems got up and walked out while Haxton was still talking and making a point. Picture this,GOT UP AND WALKED OUT DURING A PUBLIC MEETING WITHOUT ADJOURNING They don't do that in Congress - or in the British Parliament when all hell is breakin loose!!

You are right about voting. About 40% of those registered actually voted! Certainly not a mandate.

As far as the charter: It is the law of the City. The Enforcing officer is the Mayor. These guys owe their existence to him and do everything he says, i mean, asks. They appointed his choice to Clerk, to 3rd ward council, and to secretary of the council. Check it out-the council secretary was going to be a candidate for 3rd ward council. Had to get her out so their guy could go in uncontested, so, give her a $40k job as council secretary. Not a bad deal. Maybe I will run!

I suppose haxton could hire a lawyer and try to sue to invalidate the meeting, but the result would be giving proper notice, voting 3-1 to appoint their guy, and then 4-1 on everything else, so why should she bother or spend the $$$. In the meantime we look like idiots because this goes on in our Community - and the offending parties will get re-elected, because people either don't pay attention, don't vote, or both!!

This is the same women that the city has called a slumlord--what a great city government Lackawanna has.

http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=7581731

What can we do???

Who can we blame for the problems in this city? The mayor, city council, and/or the voters? How can anyone be pleased with the way our city is being run? How can voters re-elect members of this corrupt party to the same positions? I am totally shocked with disbelief that this is happening....and the mayor claims we have a positive image for our city and its moving forward..

I wonder what goes through the minds of these followers in the democratic party that they wake up everyday saying. . ."Ya know, these guys are doing a great job!" Pathetic!!!! I am sick of this administration and city council!!! When will realization and change happen?? When Lackawanna is soooo far at the bottom of the barrell that there is no hope of bringing it back??? And then we'll elect some new faces that will have the fullfilling job of fixing this mangled wreckage of a city government. Shame on them all!!

This is the same women that the city has called a slumlord--what a great city government Lackawanna has.

http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=7581731
    Seems like they didn't like this councilwoman raising questions, so thought they would get to her in other ways by calling the health department on her. This is a crying shame.

Seems like they didn't like this councilwoman raising questions, so thought they would get to her in other ways by calling the health department on her. This is a crying shame.
    Did you see the story? She is behind 3 years in payments and her properties look like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gork315
    Who can we blame for the problems in this city? The mayor, city council, and/or the voters? How can anyone be pleased with the way our city is being run? How can voters re-elect members of this corrupt party to the same positions? I am totally shocked with disbelief that this is happening....and the mayor claims we have a positive image for our city and its moving forward..

I wonder what goes through the minds of these followers in the democratic party that they wake up everyday saying. . ."Ya know, these guys are doing a great job!" Pathetic!!!! I am sick of this administration and city council!!! When will realization and change happen?? When Lackawanna is soooo far at the bottom of the barrell that there is no hope of bringing it back??? And then we'll elect some new faces that will have the fullfilling job of fixing this mangled wreckage of a city government. Shame on them all!!
    It is pathetic. Just taking a ride around Lackawanna during election season will show you just about every house has a Democratic sign in the lawn.

Hit the Nail

Hit the nail on the head, tooth!!

They have been tormenting her since she started askin questions. Fired (sorry, didn't reappoint) the Council secretary because she helped this councilwoman. That is her job, to work for all the councilmen. Single mom of a disabled child. Nice work from the party "for the people."

Did you see the story? She is behind 3 years in payments and her properties look like hell.
    You're right, but she isn't the only one. Just more high profile. Much worse properties in there, but the code guy is bought and paid for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information