http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local...002181121.html

After icy start, Dyster said he enjoyed first day on the job

Niagara Falls Mayor Paul Dyster’s first official day on the job started off on an icy note.

Leaving his house before 9 a.m., he discovered that his city-issued Crown Victoria — license plate NF1 — had fallen victim to the inclement weather with frozen locks. Not yet knowing the electronic code to open the doors, Dyster was reduced to pouring hot water onto the lock to get inside.

Luckily, that seemed to be the only annoyance he faced Wednesday.

“I’m feeling energized,” the new mayor said while eating a late lunch at Mary O’s Soul Food Restaurant on Main Street. “I’ve been to City Hall many times, but It’s still a new experience being in the mayor’s office.”

Most of his first day was spent speaking to staff members, filling out paperwork with the human resource director and finishing off interviews for a new secretary. Of course, there were a few hurdles as a result of the change in administration, such as not having immediate access to the city’s computer network and not knowing the password to change his voicemail — as of the early afternoon Wednesday, the message still welcomed callers to Mayor Vince Anello’s office.

“Everything took a little longer than we thought it was going to take,” Dyster said, “but I commend the entire staff at City Hall, they’ve been extremely helpful.”

Dyster was planning to update the city’s Web site by Wednesday night with a copy of his inauguration speech from his New Year’s Day swearing-in ceremony. In it, he promised residents he would follow a “consensus-based” leadership model by working closely with the City Council to move forward.

Council Chairman Samuel Fruscione echoed that goal and said he’s looking forward to working with the new administration.

“There’s definitely a new feeling of professionalism and confidence at City Hall,” he said.

In the upcoming weeks, Dyster’s team will begin interviewing candidates as part of a national search to fill the spots of city administrator, corporation counsel, city engineer, economic development director and director of tourism development.

Meanwhile, he needs to go shopping to fill up the barren shelves in his new office. Currently, a photo of him at a greenway signing event and an award he received from the Boy Scouts of America are the only decorations.

“I definitely have a knick-knack shortage right now,” Dyster joked.