Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Desired changes to West Seneca's Code of Ethics

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Another issue that needs to be addressed as part of the public discussion on reducing the size of the TB is a stricter ethics policy. At the last TB meeting Mr. Piotrowski voted on the resolution to authorize outside counsel for the TB in litigation over a legal proceeding where he has an adverse interest in. The motion passed 4-1 so no harm, no foul, however it higlights the need for this policy particularly if we reduce the board to 3 members. What if one of them is disqualifed due to a conflict? On any board a tie vote results in the motion or question not passing. This is much more likely on a board of 3.
    It appears from the article in the WS Bee that Mr. Piotrowski is somewhat skeptical on the the idea of an ethics board. Other towns and villages have ethics codes and policies enforced by ethics committees or boards of uncompensated members of the community. So why is he so skeptical?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I think he was skeptical of finding an non-political ethics board. I don't think he was opposed to the idea of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by wsresident33 View Post
    I think he was skeptical of finding an non-political ethics board. I don't think he was opposed to the idea of the board.
    I hope you are right, and time will tell.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I hope you are right, and time will tell.
    I don't think he was skeptical, as much as being sarcastic, after Dale Clarke suggested a "non-political" ethics panel. Wally made the point that doing anything in WS without politics getting in the way is impossible. Think about it, who could Wally recommend without the three detractors not pitching a fit? The same can be said for anyone Vince, Tina, & Dale might suggest. And anyone who may actually be able to serve in an impartial manner, would not be welcome as they might actually point out violations. This town is too divided, never mind Dems and Reps, even those in the same party can't get along.

West Seneca Town Government, the only circus that doesn't go south for the winter!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Here is movement: http://www.westseneca.net/bdmin09/ag090824.html

Proofs of publication and posting of legal notice: “OF A PUBLIC HEARING TO HEAR ALL INTERESTED PARTIES AND CITIZENS FOR OR AGAINST THE ADOPTION OF LOCAL LAW NO. 4 OF THE YEAR 2009 AMENDING CHAPTER 13 OF THE WEST SENECA TOWN CODE ENTITLED ‘CODE OF ETHICS’” in the Town of West Seneca.

Has there been any movement?

Tim Murek, West Seneca, questioned whether or not the town has a hiring policy in place.

Supervisor Piotrowski stated not at present, although he is working on a proposal for consideration by the board members and anticipated its completion date sometime in September.

Councilwoman Meegan noted that Civil Service includes the white collar and blue collar employees.

Mr. Murek felt there should be a hiring policy in town that is up to federal mandates. If the town is receiving federal funds, then the town should be an equal opportunity employer. Mr. Murek requested that there be no further appointments, other than civil service appointments, for the Police Department. He referenced the appointments made in the Highway Department and felt there should be a hiring policy in place prior to department heads appointing people.

Councilman Clarke responded that there are numbers that need to be met in the Highway Department. Individuals are hired part-time and then they work their way up the ladder. This is the process and it works well and fairly.
    Would the proposal be part of the ethics code?

When will be the best time for ethics, when I am out of Office!

It appears from the article in the WS Bee that Mr. Piotrowski is somewhat skeptical on the the idea of an ethics board. Other towns and villages have ethics codes and policies enforced by ethics committees or boards of uncompensated members of the community. So why is he so skeptical?
    Will this ever happen??

It did happen in late 2009 (I believe December) you can view the new ethics code on the Town's website under Town Code.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information