Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMHA to sell LBJ, will build 200 new apartments: cost $36.5 million

• individually controlled heat

Here's the kicker, along with paying next to nothing for rent, allot, if not most of these tenets have the heat cranked up to 80+ plus. They don't pay for it, we do. So when you're sitting at home some February night trying to save a buck with your heat set at 65 remember that.

I guess they figure since they don't live in Florida in the winter they can at least try to replicate its climate...at your expense.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Unregistered

Anybody know BMHA Bd Commissioners?

Here is the BMHA Board.

Does anybody know any of the Commissioners?

What have they done to address housing or poverty outside on BMHA?

I, of course, know Charlie Flynn whose Parlato-style flipping scam I exposed in January 2000 as he was a Realtor, City Residency Officer #2 (of four, now there is none) & County IP Chair. He went on to run for Mayor & anonymously (as "Nice1257") announced plans on SUWNY to run for County Executive.

He profited about $50K from his flipping scam as banks lost about $70K on the quick foreclosures of the three Bflo houses. He stopped flipping after exposed. He is no longer a realtor; what he now does for a living is unclear.

COPY: http://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us/Home/Cit...ity/Leadership

Leadership

(BMHA) Commissioners for Year 2007
    Michael A. Seaman - Chairman
    (5-year term expires October 19, 2010)
    Ronald Brown - Vice Chairman
    (5-year term expires October 19, 2009)
    Charles J. Flynn
    (5-year term expires October 19, 2008)
    Hal D. Payne
    (5-year term expires October 19, 2011)
    Crystal J. Rodriguez
    Joseph Mascia - Resident Commissioner
    (2-year term expires June 30, 2008)
    Leonard Williams - Resident Commissioner
    (2-year term expires June 30, 2008)
    Established

Established in 1934 as a public corporation with its own independent status.

Governed by a Board of seven members, five of whom are appointed by the Mayor and two of whom are elected at-large from the tenant population.

Board Chair and vice chair are elected from among board members each year

Operates in compliance with Federal, New York State and City of Buffalo housing standards

Manages 27 developments within the City of Buffalo

Provides 4307 housing units within the City of Buffalo

Distributes 1372 housing vouchers through the Section 8 Voucher Program

Screens applicants and inspects apartments annually

Provides rent that is never more than 30% of gross income

Presents job training and educational opportunities for tenants

Collaborates with many social service agencies, located on-site for easy resident access

Quote Originally Posted by speaker
    You all respond as if these tenants aren't going to pay rent. Senior housing charges market range rents. I wouldn't call them projects.

I think it's a great idea. Buffalo will have the benefit of fresh young students at the LBJ, and that corner at Main and Amherst needs rebuilding.

Do you understand that your generation will be benefiting the most? There will be the biggest need ever for those new units. Do you think low income seniors, as they reach age 66, should be shipped to the east side?

it's main & humboldt....not amherst...kitty corner to sisters hospital...next to the 198

joe mascia is a heckuva ballroom dancer...he teaches ballroom dancing....he's an old friend who i've never had issues with....

Unregistered

Marine Drive: rent $275 including utilities

Marine Drive, of course, is "different" public housing which just recently got representation on BMHA's board.

Marine Drive has long been a haven for "politically-connected" predominantly-white tenants, who paid rents on the waterfront of as little as $225 a month, including all utilities.

That problem has been reformed somewhat recently, but the logic of heavily-subsidized & largely tax-exempt housing on the waterfront in a city desperate for taxbase defies logic.

A group led by Attorney George Grasser & some tenants has been unsuccessful in an effort to privatize the 616 apartment complex (incredibly gerry-mandered into the Fillmore Council District).

Despite promises of "grandfathering-in" all true low income tenants with subsidies, while selling the units for moderate prices & then placing on the tax rolls, the (heavily-subsidized) status quo has prevailed.

Unregistered
    I hate the BMHA it is a symbol of the worst communist style buracracy and anti-community focus

I think the poor and the elderly need social services. I dont want to see anyone starve or homeless but the BMHA is not the way it should be done.

But I will say that getting rid of the LBJ apartments will not only remove a huge eyesore from this area but will act as a bridge between canisius and medialle. Perhaps opening up many Main Street homes and businesses to student tenants and student consumers. Infact, it would be nice if the new Medaille Complex could be integrated with the Light Rail Station.

Quote Originally Posted by speaker
    Do you think low income seniors, as they reach age 66, should be shipped to the east side?

To be honest, if someone is going to rely on the community for a housing subsidy of some sort, I think there should be a compromise of where that housing is placed.

I am not saying that low income seniors should be housed in projects and forgotten about...

I am saying that if some of the current units can be upgraded instead of doing new builds, the city should look at that.

180k per unit could really do some nice things on a lot of the vacant properties either owned by the city or on the market.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    180k per unit could really do some nice things on a lot of the vacant properties either owned by the city or on the market.
    Seems steep doesn't it. Just to build an apartment. You can build a house house for less than that.

Is the developer who gets to build this politically connected? Is the developer who may build this helping to get it pushed threw? Is the land where they are going to build these owned by someone politically connected so they can profit on that sale? and so forth?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why keep building more. SHouldn't the elderly who have children have thier family take care of them? I remember my grandparents having thier family in thier house not in a subsidized older folks home for the most part.

If there are other government owned apartments why not use what is available.. the elderly don't live for ever so shouldn't those apartments be reused as they pass away?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    To be honest, if someone is going to rely on the community for a housing subsidy of some sort, I think there should be a compromise of where that housing is placed.

I am not saying that low income seniors should be housed in projects and forgotten about...

I am saying that if some of the current units can be upgraded instead of doing new builds, the city should look at that.

If we are going to automatically put house low-income seniors in some "nice digs" on the taxpayer dime let me know now. Instead of saving for retirement and "going without" I'll do what most of the other people do and go on nice vacations and eat dinner at Outback twice a week.

I thought the idea of saving for retirement was so I DIDN'T end up in a BMHA housing project?????

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Seems steep doesn't it. Just to build an apartment. You can build a house house for less than that.

Is the developer who gets to build this politically connected? Is the developer who may build this helping to get it pushed threw? Is the land where they are going to build these owned by someone politically connected so they can profit on that sale? and so forth?
    There is a reason Im sure that these 180k apts are being built...patronage,pork & poverty pimping...The BIGGEST Business in Buffalo.ESPECIALLY since there are hundreds of vacant units readily available..I think there should be some sort of protest..180K can take down about 15 vacant houses or upgrade/modernize 10 existing units very nicely..
    The 3 Ps reign supreme again in Buffalo!
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Bmha!! Get Out Of The Housing Business

The B.M.H.A. should slowly consolidate much of its property. The Apt buildings should be put up for sale at MARKET rates,and the residents should be given rent vouchers. A govt agency HAS NO BUSINESS competing with free enterprise. The buildings should be sold to the highest bidders. PUT THESE PROPERTIES BACK ON THE PROPERTY TAX ROLLS.
    There is a system in place where an annual comprehensive inspection is done annually to each unit in order for the subsidy to continue.
    NO ONE (tenant)would be replaced, the rents would still be subsidized and the property tax payers in Buffalo would see a large expansion in the tax base.
    ITis a no brainer, but too much (politics) is in place for this to happen. Same as various authorites that are currently used to hide deadbeat politicians whose shelf have expired.
    Buffalo needs to change the way it operates, but there is too much resistance from within and no elected official wants to be the one to put their cushy plum jobs / careers on the line
    Sad , but true, this housing authority will not go awy, at least in our lifetime

The BMHA should be disbanded!

The government needs to get out of the housing business, period!
    The BMHA no longer serves a useful purpose. We do not have an overhelming population anymore to warrant housing projects and public housing. Buffalo has only 290,000 people, not 600,000. We have over 10,000 vacant homes in this city, not to mention the amount of vacant public housing.
    The Perry Projects need to go away, The LBJ's (GOOD RIDDANCE), the virtually empty ones at Fosdick-Masten, the empty ones on Carolina, I could go on.
    Councilmember Golombek wants the BMHA to go away as well. It's a damn good idea.
    Be advised, I'm mean nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I could put a round through a fleas ass at 300 meters. So why don't you hump somebody else's leg mutt-face before I push yours in. (Heartbreak Ridge)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information