Thread: Get involved---volunteer! It's fun, it's healthy, and it makes a difference!

Get involved---volunteer! It's fun, it's healthy, and it makes a difference!

Have you ever thought about volunteering, but weren't sure where to go or who to contact? RSVP is a national program for people age 55+ who want to get involved in the community as a volunteer. RSVP can help you to find a volunteer opportunity that matches your skills, interests, and availability.

Volunteering is not just envelope stuffing! Volunteers in our community are helping to improve our neighborhoods and our future ----teaching students about the environment, building safe and affordable houses for families with a dream of home ownership, offering transportation for elderly and disabled people, restoring cultural heritage sites, and much more. Volunteering allows you to learn new things and meet interesting people. And volunteering even helps you to stay healthier and happier!

For more information about ways you can get involved in volunteering, contact the RSVP office at 858-7548 or dowlingp@erie.gov.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Thank you for registering!

T

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Thank you for registering!

T
    "T"

"T" ??

Maybe you should change your avatar to

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Tony.

She emailed me about setting up a forum and I believe I responded with Tony.

Yes, RSVP is a great organization. Keeps our residents busy.

If you can drive, you can help!

There is an urgent need for volunteers who are willing to drive as part of their service----especially during the winter months when our "Snowbirds" have left for warmer regions. You can select the days and times you are available, where you drive, and if you'd prefer to use your own vehicle.

Meals on Wheels programs, especially in the City of Buffalo, are experiencing severe shortages of volunteer drivers to deliver meals to elderly and disabled people. If you have about one hour per week (from 11:15am - 12:15pm), then you can help to bring nutritious meals to people who otherwise could not remain in their own homes. You'll receive a big smile and a warm thank you that will melt your heart!

Other programs that need volunteer drivers are the American Red Cross (volunteers to transport blood supplies to medical facilities), the DAV Van Transportation Program (drivers bring veterans to the VA for medical appointments), Rural Transit Services (bringing elderly and disabled riders to medical and shopping appointments), the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery Program (bringing cancer patients to radiation or chemotherapy appointments) and the Food Shuttle (transporting donated food from grocery stores to agencies that serve individuals in need).

For more information, call the RSVP office at 858-7548 or e-mail at dowlingp@erie.gov.

LOL I'm too young to help
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

RSVP Great Organization

RSVP is a good central go to place in Erie County for those who want to volunteer. RSVP works with quite a number of volunteer organizations (see the website below). You must be 55 to join, however volunteers 16 or older are encouraged to participate. This is not a bloated government department, and it coordinates about 180,000 volunteer hours per year to people and orgnizations in need.

There is a wide variety of volunteer orgnizations that need help, so if you have some spare time, check out this site.

http://www.erie.gov/depts/seniorserv...ortunities.asp
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

sue meals on wheels and other things are needed from people under 55. me and you!!!!!!!!! haha i just called the lady very nice person.

Quote Originally Posted by PAC police
    sue meals on wheels and other things are needed from people under 55. me and you!!!!!!!!! haha i just called the lady very nice person.
    Yes, younger drivers often work as a team with older people who will actually deliver the meals, etc.... Age is not an issue.

"Pro" fessors Wanted!

Learning doesn't stop at 21! The Erie County Lifelong Learning Program, coordinated through RSVP, is looking for retired faculty or other professionals interested in volunteering to share their expertise. The Lifelong Learning Program offers academic lectures and short courses at senior centers for people age 60+. Students are there because they want to learn new things, engage in stimulating discussion, and meet interesting people.

The Spring semester will begin in April 2008. For more information about becoming a volunteer instructor or a Lifelong Learning student, call the RSVP program at 858-7548.

Quote Originally Posted by PAC police
    May you rest in peace, you will be missed by friend and debaters alike.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

Thread Information