Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rights of Citizens

The Rights of Citizens

Do citizens have a right to question the workings of government and public authorities without being flogged?
    "paranoia runs deep, into your mind it will creep"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We sure do.

Unregistered
    this is a ridiculous question....of course....and who cares about the flogging ... be a man and have a backbone ... the entire purpose of government and all public institutions to serve the public good

if these government and public institutions are not serving the public, then its the publics right and responsibility to be heard.

Now we cannot let one voice decide the fate of hundreds or thousands or millions but that is not to say that dialogue must not be sought, feedback ignored ... there are plenty of examples of best practices

however...if institutions ignore the public and the public is apathetic to their public institutions then there can be no dialogue and ther can be no best practices.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    We sure do.
    We sure do what?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    this is a ridiculous question....of course....and who cares about the flogging ... be a man and have a backbone ...
    ...have a backbone and take your flogging like a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Now we cannot let one voice decide the fate of hundreds or thousands or millions but that is not to say that dialogue must not be sought, feedback ignored ... there are plenty of examples of best practices
    Timmy, what do you mean by the above?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara
    We sure do what?
    We have the right to question the people spending our money and how they operate.

It's not a dictatorship..

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    We have the right to question the people spending our money and how they operate.

It's not a dictatorship..
    I am curious as to your avatar. I think it is Grover Cleveland. You no doubt chose him because you admire him, he looks knowledgable, and the WNY connection. You do of course know personal conduct was an issue during his presidential run. "...reported that Cleveland had fathered an illegitimate child while he was a lawyer in Buffalo. The derisive phrase "Ma, Ma, where's my Pa?"..." And he seemed to enjoy his job...(as) "sheriff of Erie County, New York in 1870 and (he) carried out at least two hangings of condemned criminals, refusing to delegate the unpleasant task to others."

In short, we all have short comings. National politicians live far away, but local ones live next door. When some of those criticisms get personal, then their replies should also get personal. There is a fine line between constructive and destructive, and anonymous internet gang rape should be called what it is. No it is not a dictatorship, but no answers do not flow like water. The Clintons are a good example of that, and furthermore, elections are always just around the corner.

We have the right to question our public officials,

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!

When the Town Board has it's Pre-Town Board Meeting the night before the regular meeting that is open to the public, how can anyone possibly think that the regular Town Board Meeting is anything other than the Board Members just going through the motions, so to speak. They go through what is going to be brought up at the next night's meeting and they dot their I's and cross their T's. The meeting goes SOOOOOO smoothly.

If they are going to hold a pre town board meeting, or whatever you want to call it, then that meeting should be held in the Town Hall and not in some building that is on private property.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall806
    We have the right to question our public officials,

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!

When the Town Board has it's Pre-Town Board Meeting the night before the regular meeting that is open to the public, how can anyone possibly think that the regular Town Board Meeting is anything other than the Board Members just going through the motions, so to speak. They go through what is going to be brought up at the next night's meeting and they dot their I's and cross their T's. The meeting goes SOOOOOO smoothly.

If they are going to hold a pre town board meeting, or whatever you want to call it, then that meeting should be held in the Town Hall and not in some building that is on private property.

Where did they hold the meeting?

I've never heard of a town board holding its work session somewhere other than Town Hall. Work sessions are open to the public, and usually occurr right before the regular meeting.

The meeting goes SOOOOOO smoothly.

I read the minutes of a recent board meeting. The first issue was the rezoning of some property on Seneca St. to allow for a barber shop. It took some time to just read let alone if there was debate. The issue is not speed of meeting but the ability to ask questions during or afterword. Within reason, questions should be allowed, and sometimes answers would need to be looked up. Some say no answers are available. I speculate that no effort was really made.

The question and answer period is at the beginning of the meeting and at the end of the meeting after they said everything. Then the public can speak. By that time, any voting up or down for a project has been done.

The question and answer period is at the beginning of the meeting and at the end of the meeting after they said everything. Then the public can speak. By that time, any voting up or down for a project has been done.
    That's pretty standard. What is it that you want them to do?

I guess the point I was trying to make , is that the Regular meeting seems like it is just for show and that they (The politicians ) have already made up their minds when they take their seat , so therefore, anything the Public might want to say or comment on is really pointless because their minds have already been made up.

I guess the point I was trying to make , is that the Regular meeting seems like it is just for show and that they (The politicians ) have already made up their minds when they take their seat , so therefore, anything the Public might want to say or comment on is really pointless because their minds have already been made up.
    You mentioned that the board members held a pre-meeting in a private building. Is that correct? Where was it? Somone's home?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information