Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economic Development

Economic Development

How sad (but commendable effort) that we have to look to ourselves to try to promote economic development.

Here's a short list of agencies/companies/city or county offices charged with promoting economic development in EC and/or WNY:
    ECIDA

Buffalo Niagara Enterprise

Buffalo Niagara Partnership

The Economic Development Corporation of Erie County/Division of Planning and Economic Development

The Workforce Development and Training Division

Buffalo Economic Renaissance Corp

Buffalo BioSciences

Empire State Development Corporation

Buffalo Place Inc

New Millennium Group of the Western New York, Inc

UB Regional Institute

Erie-Niagara Regional Partnership

Western New York Technology Development Center, Inc. now Insyte

And this doesn't even cover city/town agencies like Town of Tonawanda Development Corp, Economic Development Alliance , local IDA's or the niche agencies like the Film Commission.

Some of these agencies are made up of volunteers, some are UB affiliated, some are paid positions. It just looks to me like too many cooks in the kitchen. It also seems to go beyond just rolling all the local IDA's into 1 IDA.
    I'm certainly not brilliant enough to offer a solution, but I would like to hear other views on this situation. Maybe there is something that binds all these agencies together that I can't see?

Boy, you'd think we wouldn't have a problem with all those agencies. How do they substaniate their jobs?

Exactly. I'm sure there are even more groups out there with the same goal. That's all I had time to do so far, I didn't even look at Buffalo, just the county and region. You'd think with all those development resources we'd be beating off companies with a big ole stick.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many of these "Agencies" are funded by our money?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    How sad (but commendable effort) that we have to look to ourselves to try to promote economic development.

Here's a short list of agencies/companies/city or county offices charged with promoting economic development in EC and/or WNY:
    ECIDA

Buffalo Niagara Enterprise

Buffalo Niagara Partnership

The Economic Development Corporation of Erie County/Division of Planning and Economic Development

The Workforce Development and Training Division

Buffalo Economic Renaissance Corp

Buffalo BioSciences

Empire State Development Corporation

Buffalo Place Inc

New Millennium Group of the Western New York, Inc

UB Regional Institute

Erie-Niagara Regional Partnership

Western New York Technology Development Center, Inc. now Insyte

And this doesn't even cover city/town agencies like Town of Tonawanda Development Corp, Economic Development Alliance , local IDA's or the niche agencies like the Film Commission.

Some of these agencies are made up of volunteers, some are UB affiliated, some are paid positions. It just looks to me like too many cooks in the kitchen. It also seems to go beyond just rolling all the local IDA's into 1 IDA.
    I'm certainly not brilliant enough to offer a solution, but I would like to hear other views on this situation. Maybe there is something that binds all these agencies together that I can't see?
    I know there is more. I think we can keep adding..

Erie County Environment & Planning
    City Hall has Office of Strategic Planning
    Buffalo State has Small Business Development Center

You included Buffalo Place.. Thus we can add I think Forever Elmwood? or is this an association?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You have to be making this up.

How can there be so many groups pushing for economic developement and over all so little ever getting done?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    How many of these "Agencies" are funded by our money?
    Buffalo Niagara Enterprise: Business/Government Donations

Buffalo Niagara Partnership: Business/Government Donations

The Economic Development Corporation of Erie County/Division of Planning and Economic Development: County

The Workforce Development and Training Division: Federal/State/County/City

Buffalo Economic Renaissance Corp: Federal/City

Buffalo BioSciences: ?

Empire State Development Corporation: State

Buffalo Place Inc: State/City

New Millennium Group of the Western New York, Inc: ? Don't think they are a development group

UB Regional Institute: State/various grants (federal/private funds)

Erie-Niagara Regional Partnership: ?

Western New York Technology Development Center, Inc. now Insyte: ?

Quote Originally Posted by joanbflo
    I know there is more. I think we can keep adding..

Erie County Environment & Planning
    City Hall has Office of Strategic Planning
    Buffalo State has Small Business Development Center

You included Buffalo Place.. Thus we can add I think Forever Elmwood? or is this an association?
    Forever Elmwood is an association, however they do get grants for various economic development projects, so yes I would include them.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    You have to be making this up.

How can there be so many groups pushing for economic developement and over all so little ever getting done?
    Because they compete against each other rather than working within a cohesive partnership. Politicians let them exist and help them exist for political favors.

Although Giambra ended up being a kook, the idea of merging all economic development into one makes sense. The problem is the fiefdoms and the pot. One pot many hands.

Who is going to decide giving incentives to a business that is to locate or relocate into Orchard park v. Buffalo v. Tonawanda v. Depew v. etc?

Thanks CSense! I was wondering how I was going to find the time to look all that up (since I was the one to bring it up). I will try to do more research myself, but my time is rather limited until after the 16th or so.

Regarding New Millenium Group, honest,I wasn't trying to pad the list! I added them because their activities revolve around things such as Smart Code, waterfront development, Peace Bridge & International Gateway Project, although many of their projects seem to fall under anti-development in hopes of revitalizing the city, so maybe they should be removed from the list. I lean towards keeping them on it.
    "The New Millennium Group of Western New York, Inc. is a non-political, 501c3 non-profit, all volunteer, community benefit organization. We are optimists, committed to our community and anxious to contribute to a regional renaissance. We count more than 500 members of every age and walk-of-life arrayed into action groups that tackle specific projects with the goal of fostering renaissance in Western New York."

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Forever Elmwood is an association, however they do get grants for various economic development projects, so yes I would include them.
    role call...murray...present

Forever Elmwood is now known as Elmwood Village Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray

Danka, but I dislike some of their board members. So, I'm not a big fan of the organization.

BTW are the still in that building, two doors down from Rite Aid on Elmwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Murray

You mean the Elmwood Gay Pride Association.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    [COLOR=red] Buffalo BioSciences: ?
    Sorry
    I meant Buff Link, which has recently integrated with BNP and is now know as The Life Sciences Industries Council of the Buffalo Niagara Partnership

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    Sorry
    I meant Buff Link, which has recently integrated with BNP and is now know as The Life Sciences Industries Council of the Buffalo Niagara Partnership
    I never liked the BNP or the BNE. I wish someone would run Wilmer's butt boy (Rudnick) out of town.

can't stand that commercial for the BNE.

"Hi, I cheese boy (Kucharski) originally from here but left. Came back to make some serious cash doing nothing. I take you hard earned tax money and do nothing with it, but what do you care?"

Freak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information