Thread: Some blame the workers for the Cities past financial problems

Some blame the workers for the Cities past financial problems

City "forgives" 8 million dollar city-backed construction loan to Buffalo businessman Paul L Snyder. What he did was settle for $700,000. So the City got less than 10% back on the loan. Who paid for that ? City taxpayers. In May, Snyder received 5.1 million in a State grant to revitalize his Hyatt hotel.

I would like to take an $80,000 loan and pay back $7,000. Wouldn't everyone ? As well, Snyder says the Hyatt hasn't turned a profit in 23 yrs. Great businessman. How are they still in business ? Or are they "cooking the books" to wipe out any profit ? Makes you wonder.

I would like to see Mr Snyders salary for being owner of the hotel, being that public money is involved.

While it is good to see the City on firm financial ground, giving millions away, then saying it can't pay the workers seems a bit hypocritical.

isnt that the way it also is? I wonder if he makes more then us?
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

The city management IMO holds the vast majority of the blame for the city's financial situation.
    Bad decision after bad decision.

That being said, the unions basically have the city bent over a barrel. The unions aren't going to take a step back without a concession. If the unions are dealing from a position of power (meaning they aren't ever going to take a step back) then what possible answers can the city come up with to placate the unions in a negotiation?

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    The city management IMO holds the vast majority of the blame for the city's financial situation.
    Bad decision after bad decision.

That being said, the unions basically have the city bent over a barrel. The unions aren't going to take a step back without a concession. If the unions are dealing from a position of power (meaning they aren't ever going to take a step back) then what possible answers can the city come up with to placate the unions in a negotiation?
    Nothing.

That is why the Fireman shot down the agreement that came before them. Next up will be the white collar union for city workers. It will be comical to see how things play out between Brown's spin meisters and the unions.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Nothing.

That is why the Fireman shot down the agreement that came before them. Next up will be the white collar union for city workers. It will be comical to see how things play out between Brown's spin meisters and the unions.
    The best part is that these morons voted Brown in because he was "with the unions." All Fools!

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    City "forgives" 8 million dollar city-backed construction loan to Buffalo businessman Paul L Snyder. What he did was settle for $700,000. So the City got less than 10% back on the loan. Who paid for that ? City taxpayers. In May, Snyder received 5.1 million in a State grant to revitalize his Hyatt hotel.

I would like to take an $80,000 loan and pay back $7,000. Wouldn't everyone ? As well, Snyder says the Hyatt hasn't turned a profit in 23 yrs. Great businessman. How are they still in business ? Or are they "cooking the books" to wipe out any profit ? Makes you wonder.

I would like to see Mr Snyders salary for being owner of the hotel, being that public money is involved.

While it is good to see the City on firm financial ground, giving millions away, then saying it can't pay the workers seems a bit hypocritical.

I agree that this is BS. Steel/Leets made a good point somewhere that this should not stay as a hotel but be converted to housing units. I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I agree that this is BS. Steel/Leets made a good point somewhere that this should not stay as a hotel but be converted to housing units. I like that idea.
    I don't disagree but timing is needed. I think we need more businesses (retail/services/commercial) now. There are so many apartments and condos coming online or in the planning stages that now we need something to keep them here.

It's funny, some random dude walks into a bank with a note and robs it of a couple hundred dollars and the response is a dozen or so cops racing around in cruises while the FBI is called in; this dude (Snyder) robs all of us of millions, has the temerity to ask for forgiveness for the previous theft and then hands another stick-up note to those that are ostensibly acting as the taxpaying public's advocates and they oblige him without a wit of compunction or circumspection. The entire time the crime is printed in the paper, a paper which Snyder probably read tonight over a 24 ounce Porterhouse at EB Greens which we paid for.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

There should be more outrage to this story but I can't remember the Buffalo snooze making a big deal out of it or the local tv stations. Can't be because there's an agenda?

I don't doubt that the Hyatt doesn't make any money. They don't charge a lot and it usually seems pretty vacant to me. The problem is it's the only decent name-recognizable hotel in the city. I could argue that the business needs of the city simply don't require the presence of an A-list hotel - that the city is too poor to support a Hyatt. Apparently, the market has been indicating that for some time.

It's sad how city leadership spends millions propping up this guy to keep a resource that probably isn't needed. The city should buy/foreclose the hotel and then hire a management company to operate it. If the economic climate improves, then the city can sell the appreciated asset in the future.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    It's sad how city leadership spends millions propping up this guy to keep a resource that probably isn't needed. The city should buy/foreclose the hotel and then hire a management company to operate it. If the economic climate improves, then the city can sell the appreciated asset in the future.
    That's just it. Why didn't the city foreclose? I mean Synder would have been forced to at least go through bankruptcy if he wanted to shirk the city of it's cash.

Uh, you can't seriously be pontificating why the city did not foreclose, can you? Of course you know the answer. Politics as usual at city hall...You show up with your hand out, whether you're a begger or a businessman, you get paid. It's all the people in the middle that try and negotiate with city hall that get the business handed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie
    Uh, you can't seriously be pontificating why the city did not foreclose, can you? Of course you know the answer. Politics as usual at city hall...You show up with your hand out, whether you're a begger or a businessman, you get paid. It's all the people in the middle that try and negotiate with city hall that get the business handed to them.

What you didn't feel my sarcasm? I thought Byron was supposed to change things, cause he "loves Buffalo".

Alcoa

Anyone read the article about NYS giving Alcoa cheap hydropower at one quarter the market rate? This amounts to a subsidy of $148,000 per employee per year! And they only have to promise not to layoff more than 120employees. Isn't the private sector great!

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    I don't disagree but timing is needed. I think we need more businesses (retail/services/commercial) now. There are so many apartments and condos coming online or in the planning stages that now we need something to keep them here.

They have a reason. They don't pay property taxes. Paladino is building primium Condos on the water front that are going to sell for between one point five and two million apiece and got a property tax exemption for the first ten years.
    How about all the money Masiello gave away in EDI's to prefered developers who then let their businesses fail. Millions. Show me someone, anyone who built , or is planning to build property or a business in down town Buffalo with out some type of incentive that costs the taxpayers in real dollars or future incentives. (other than the Senecas).
    But the crossing guards and garbage men are the problem.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Thread Information