Thread: Flood Plain?

Flood Plain?

I own a home in what the insurance man states is a flood plain area. I pay extra $$ for insurance for this. I saw on the TV in the past two weeks that the federal government is reanalyzing areas within Erie County. Does anyone know if Amherst is one of the areas and what affect it will have? Thanks

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did you purchase your home knowing is was in a flood plain?

I'm pretty sure the remapping is only being done around and near Cazenovia Creek in South Buffalo.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

From what I was told it is required to disclose the property is in this type of area.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    From what I was told it is required to disclose the property is in this type of area.
    Why did you buy the home knowing it was in a flood plain? That would tell you that the water table is higher in that area with risk of a flood for the most part.

Now by some weird fluke that area did flood and you didn't have flood insurance would you expect someone else to cover your loss if it happened?

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, I'm just curious on your thought on this.

I know when we purchased our home we looked at about 30 of them. The main question was "does your basement leak at all". A few people acutally just lied about it. The water marks on the basement walls gave it away for a few of them. Even if it was only a foot or two it was still water in the basement.

A wet basement and living in a flood plain are not necessarliy related to each other.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

The flood plain has nothing to do with the normal water table. It has to do with the possibility that a low lying area would be flooded in the event that during a unusual storm event, a body of water (river,creek, tributaries,etc.) would spill over their banks into these areas. hat being said, when I built my house in the late 80's, it had to be built to specific guidelines that were approved by the feds to allow the basement to be built. Now a friend of mine built a house recently that had to meet new state and federal requirements. In both cases it was after the state or feds approved the design that the town was allowed to issue permits for their building. One thing that has changed is that newer homes are required to perform some sort of test of the soils to design the basement properly. Makes sense to me.

Basements

I've said this before but I'll repeat. Anyone who builds a basement in a wet lands deserves no sympathy. I am really ticked that the town bonded 200,00.00 to study mitigation so that basements don't get flooded after a heavy rain. The total bill for the mitigation is expected to be 12 million. Why should the voters in Eggertsville or Snyder pay for the 300,000 + homes to have dry basements? Better to form a special assessment district in the effected areas and let those residents pay for the mitigation costs.
    dono

Thread Information