Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Worker

Town Worker

Hello all, I have been checking this forum out for the last few months and have enjoyed reading the everyones views on not only our county but also our town leadership. Many of the threads and posts from my view are dead on, but not all the comments on town workers are anywhere close to being the truth. I am employed by the town of West Seneca. Perhaps if there are any questions about employees I maybe able to provide some knowledge on the matter. I do not represent employees as a whole but I maybe able to clear the air with what I know on a particular subject. Heated debates is not what I am here for, I will answer any and all questions I maybe familiar with and if I don't know something I will simply say so. I am only here to help and to clear up any speculations on town employees. I look forward to participating in this great forum and hope to talk with you all soon.

Sorry I couldn't resist.......

.......an actual town worker ?

Aren't they on the endangered species list.
    The Truth Shall Set You Free........Aunt Esther

Welcome Swingfirst

I guess the obvious question would be, and I don't expect any details that would jeopardize your employment, are you a blue or white collar worker? If you can, or will, what department ?

Again, I don't expect you to put your job in peril.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Woof, Woof

Quote Originally Posted by Swingfirst
    I am only here to help and to clear up any speculations on town employees.
    Okay, I'll take the bait.

The highest paid dogcatcher probably in the free world, looking like he's getting a huge raise according to the West Seneca Bee, above his already over bloated salary from his brother-in-law.

Justified ?

I'll try not to laugh.
    Last edited by MR E S 1; November 16th, 2007 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MR E S 1

The highest paid dogcatcher probably in the free world, looking like he's getting a huge raise according to the West Seneca Bee, above his already over bloated salary from his brother-in-law.

Justified ?

I'll try not to laugh.
    Allow me to add to this question. Since the dog catcher is a Union employee, under the same contract as Highway, B&G, etc., wouldn't bumping rights or seniority come into play, forcing him out of the position. I would think that when Clark allowed the position to become represented, those with greater seniority would have raised a stink. At least the CSEA rep should have brought this before the PERB judge. Working with Unions, from both sides of the table, I can't imagine a position being moved into the bargaining unit without senior employees raising some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1
    I guess the obvious question would be, and I don't expect any details that would jeopardize your employment, are you a blue or white collar worker? If you can, or will, what department ?

Again, I don't expect you to put your job in peril.

I appreciate that. I am blue collar, and highway/sanitation dept.
    Last edited by Swingfirst; November 16th, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Allow me to add to this question. Since the dog catcher is a Union employee, under the same contract as Highway, B&G, etc., wouldn't bumping rights or seniority come into play, forcing him out of the position. I would think that when Clark allowed the position to become represented, those with greater seniority would have raised a stink. At least the CSEA rep should have brought this before the PERB judge. Working with Unions, from both sides of the table, I can't imagine a position being moved into the bargaining unit without senior employees raising some issues.
    To Psycho and ES1 this all happened before my time and I am not to familiar with Mr. O'Neil, I do know Mr. Kerner though I hold him in high regard, he does his job well. When Officer Cosgrove was hired onto the police force, Kerner then transferd over to Animal Control. In my years there I have never heard of anyone raising a stink about it.

Justified ?

I'll try not to laugh.
    I'm not exactly sure how much of a raise he is getting but it would be on par with what the blue collar worked out for all. Justified I guess would be a matter of who's opinion you seek, but i can tell you that I don't covet his position.

I'm not exactly sure how much of a raise he is getting but it would be on par with what the blue collar worked out for all. Justified I guess would be a matter of who's opinion you seek, but i can tell you that I don't covet his position.
    Worker, if you review the budget proposal that was just passed, you will see O"Neil is somehow slated for a 4.4% increase. Your contract, as I understand, calls for a 3% increase. In the budget for 2007, the position was listed at $58,174.00. The 2008 figure is $60,859.00, or a $2,685.00 increase in pay. The Asst. Dog Control Officer position only reflects a 2% increase, or an increase of $1,117.00 from $54,493.00 to $55,610.00. If you respect Al as much as you say, perhaps you might point this out to him, or bring it to the attention of your Union. Now, given Mr. Koller's lame explanation of the budget, he may have attempted to calculate O/T into the equation. However, I would find that difficult to believe, since the Town's payroll records indicate Mr. O"Neil made in the neighborhood of $80,000.00 last year with his over-time.
    I know you're not in a position to really make waves, but you might bring this to the attention of your representatives and fellow workers. If the reps are not helpful, contact the CSEA directly.

Just a thought, and something I would do.

I'm hoping at this point you are a sincere individual.

It is my understanding that the "animal control officers" make more money than most of the employees in your dept.

Would it be wrong to say conservatively, they make at least $10,000-$15,000 more than you ?

And you wouldn't want their job ?

You must really love your job.`

You indeed are a rare individual.

Talks real pretty for a DPW worker.

Worker, if you review the budget proposal that was just passed, you will see O"Neil is somehow slated for a 4.4% increase. Your contract, as I understand, calls for a 3% increase. In the budget for 2007, the position was listed at $58,174.00. The 2008 figure is $60,859.00, or a $2,685.00 increase in pay. The Asst. Dog Control Officer position only reflects a 2% increase, or an increase of $1,117.00 from $54,493.00 to $55,610.00. If you respect Al as much as you say, perhaps you might point this out to him, or bring it to the attention of your Union. Now, given Mr. Koller's lame explanation of the budget, he may have attempted to calculate O/T into the equation. However, I would find that difficult to believe, since the Town's payroll records indicate Mr. O"Neil made in the neighborhood of $80,000.00 last year with his over-time.
    I know you're not in a position to really make waves, but you might bring this to the attention of your representatives and fellow workers. If the reps are not helpful, contact the CSEA directly.

Just a thought, and something I would do.

I'm pretty sure the 08' figure doesn't have OT figured into it. I also guess that the increase in raises between animal control officer and assistant animal control officer differs because they are on different pay scales. So they may have the same raise percentage just based on different hourly pay. I'll try and find my contract but if memory serves me, I don't remember seeing anything pertaining to animal control. I wasn't present for the budget hearing but I heard Koller and Bove had it out pretty good. My best guess is all the salaries were most likely listed as base. I don't know if they would list OT as a seperate entry or not.

I'm pretty sure the 08' figure doesn't have OT figured into it. I also guess that the increase in raises between animal control officer and assistant animal control officer differs because they are on different pay scales. So they may have the same raise percentage just based on different hourly pay. I'll try and find my contract but if memory serves me, I don't remember seeing anything pertaining to animal control. I wasn't present for the budget hearing but I heard Koller and Bove had it out pretty good. My best guess is all the salaries were most likely listed as base. I don't know if they would list OT as a seperate entry or not.
    I've been told by a long time worker that O'Neil's part of your Union, I may be wrong, but if he is the budget still shows the 4.4% increase.

I'm hoping at this point you are a sincere individual.

It is my understanding that the "animal control officers" make more money than most of the employees in your dept.

Would it be wrong to say conservatively, they make at least $10,000-$15,000 more than you ?

And you wouldn't want their job ?

You must really love your job.`

You indeed are a rare individual.

I came here to help clear the air is all.

I thinks its fair to say they make that much more than me.

Yes I like what I do, and animal control is not up my alley.

I wouldn't say I'm all that rare, I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokester
    Talks real pretty for a DPW worker.
    Thank you...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information