Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill's Stadium Downtown - NO WAY!

Bill's Stadium Downtown - NO WAY!

It is allready starting to happen.... They are talking Bills stadium for downtown....

Not so fast with the tax payer's buck! If this brain child of an idea is to cost taxpayers money then we should have a referendum vote.

We have a stadium..... give me a break........ There would be such a surge of traffic on game days people would call in sick for work just to avoid dealing with the traffic congestion........ Again what will will you gain?????

I would consider the idea with the attached convention center but still that is reaching to put up a new Bills stadium in downtown Buffalo....... I say NO!

Read the article from WIVB below:

http://wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7328377

Downtown with attached convention center.....YES
    Waterfront...not so sure.

As far as people calling in and what not...it's Sunday.....how many people go downtown to work on a Sunday?

Heck, anything NEW that could possibly breathe some more life into downtown... I say go for it.

People have complained long enough about the stadium in OP... Wouldn't something in the city proper be what people have been wanting anyhow?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Heck, anything NEW that could possibly breathe some more life into downtown... I say go for it.

People have complained long enough about the stadium in OP... Wouldn't something in the city proper be what people have been wanting anyhow?
    A new stadium would be nice but the taxpayers just can't afford it. Let the Bills leave, Buffalo won't be any worse for it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Downstate Buffaloian
    A new stadium would be nice but the taxpayers just can't afford it. Let the Bills leave, Buffalo won't be any worse for it in the long run.
    You really don't think that the Bills have an incredible impact on the psychic health of our community? Hell, if it weren't for the Bills, the 10% of the country that can currenty find us on a map would probably have to turn to the index to find the city. The team keeps us engaged with our neighbors and community...a "common cause" if you will, unspoiled by geopolitical and class lines.

The only thing a downtown stadium could achieve is a shiny new facility to bring in free agents, a possible Super Bowl bid, and a revived area around the stadium, not to mention much easier access. But forget all that.

Yeah, it would be done with at least some taxpayer money. We're already supporting the Ralph in Orchard Park. Implode that thing and put the money towards a stadium with actual value that would garner interest.

Sports Illustrated did an article on "the stadium of the future" a few months ago. It was a great read. I'll see if I can find it. What it boiled down to was a "green" structure with mixed use commercial space, attached to whatever other buildings (convention center, etc) you like. It was even envisioned on a body of water to help with the energy efficiency. When I read it, I thought PERFECT for Buffalo.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

First of all, I don't believe that Buffalo needs the Bills at all.

That being said, why would we need a downtown stadium. After all, what have these downtown stadiums done for Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and the rest.
    I made a lot of money and spent most of it on booze, fast cars and loose women. I blew the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore

That being said, why would we need a downtown stadium. After all, what have these downtown stadiums done for Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and the rest.
    Don't forget Pittsburgh and Baltimore...

Downtown stadiums are cool & exciting, we need one - but not on the waterfront. Just keep "land-banking" demolition sites and build the stadium in the inner city.

Stay healthy Ralphy, we're not ready yet!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Northshore

Plus it's only 8 or less home games. Basically is sits empty 40 or more weeks, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    You really don't think that the Bills have an incredible impact on the psychic health of our community? Hell, if it weren't for the Bills, the 10% of the country that can currenty find us on a map would probably have to turn to the index to find the city. The team keeps us engaged with our neighbors and community...a "common cause" if you will, unspoiled by geopolitical and class lines.
    You would still have the Sabres which I think are much more viable for Buffalo in the long run. I understand the "common cause" aspect of what you are saying, but I don't think the area has the financial resources to spend on what amounts to corporate welfare. There are too many other pressing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Plus it's only 8 or less home games. Basically is sits empty 40 or more weeks, correct?
    Nope. You can bring in big high school football games/playoffs. Other sports events (motorsports being a big one). Big concerts, etc. Plus, if it's really "state of the art" and attached to other things (like museums, etc), the stadium itself becomes part of the tourist attraction. Lines still form to get tours of the new stadium in Glendale (Phoenix). At 8 bucks a pop (11 if you want to actually go on the field) they've made a nice little bundle of money on those tours alone.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    The only thing a downtown stadium could achieve is a shiny new facility to bring in free agents, a possible Super Bowl bid, and a revived area around the stadium, not to mention much easier access. But forget all that.
    Wow, you must be smokin some really good stuff! Can I have some?

Look at the area around the baseball and hockey arenas that were built downtown over the last two decades. Both promised spin-off development, it never happened.

I'm sorry, but real cities don't put all their economic eggs into the fortunes of sports teams. It would just be another in a long line of silver bullets that failed to deliver, with taxpayers left footing the bill.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Downstate Buffaloian
    Wow, you must be smokin some really good stuff! Can I have some?

Look at the area around the baseball and hockey arenas that were built downtown over the last two decades. Both promised spin-off development, it never happened.

I'm sorry, but real cities don't put all their economic eggs into the fortunes of sports teams. It would just be another in a long line of silver bullets that failed to deliver, with taxpayers left footing the bill.
    If it's so profitable why doesn't some rich person just build one? and reap the rewards?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    put a dome on it and it could be used for concerts, other sporting events and probably other things
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

I like the idea of a new stadium, however I have a few concerns on the negative side.

1. Who will pay for it? I don't want the taxpayers picking up the tab (50% or greater) on a $1 billion dome stadium (current price).

2. Buffalo Waterfront? No way. Maybe this would be a good use for Linda but now that we have momentum for developing the area into a taxable land base it would be moronically stupid. Maybe in Lackawanna near the Wind Farm because the land is probably contaminated beyond cleanup and most of it would be a capped parking lot.

3. Access? Where in God's name are you going to put in all the roads needed to move 65,000 - 70,000 ticket holders? The sky would have to remain and that's gotta go.

I heard "waterfront visionary" Brain Higgins along with Jim Kelly and dumb ass Antoine Thompson this morning. I'd like to know what kind crap they're smoking. Just another bag of wind by two political underachievers and a political wannabe.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information