Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: School Budget Failed

School Budget Failed

Buffalo News (5/19/11)

In Western New York, school officials in Lackawanna, Iroquois, North Tonawanda, Batavia and Medina are trying to figure out why voters turned down their proposed budgets.

The budget defeat in Lackawanna came as a surprise to school officials who Tuesday night had announced that the spending plan had received a thumbs-up by voters. After reviewing the vote totals, including absentee ballots, it was determined Wednesday evening that the plan had been defeated, 1,885 to 1,174.

Congrates!!!!

I am so jealous~~~I wish we had the same results. We were short about 50 something votes to be added to the list of "NO" to the budget.

It is so disappointing to see that so many people do not vote. Of a town of 40,000 something people (Lancaster) only a few thousand voted.

Caz, I have enjoyed reading your threads. They are informative, you post almost daily with updates of what is going on in your town. Keep fighting for the people. I also like the open dialog that goes on in your town postings.

Budget re-vote

The politicians in Lackawanna will schedule another vote on the school budget soon. Let see how difficult they make it for the voters that opposed the school budget to vote.

Will they go with a central voting place making it harder for seniors to vote?

Will the time to vote be convenient to all voters?

Will the new budget propose to cut football and other sports?

When will they attempt to cut the pay of the administrators and the other non teaching staff?

Will they have the children present at the voting site asking the voters to approve the budget?

If this new vote fails will they seclude another vote?
    Last edited by Mr. Lackawanna; May 19th, 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Add text
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

What happens if a majority of residents vote no on the school budget?

Under New York State law, if a school budget is defeated, the Board of Education can either put the same or revised budget up for another vote or move directly to a contingency budget.

However, under a contingency budget a district can’t spend money in certain areas by law.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Timeline - 2011 Annual Budget Vote & School Board Election
    March 29 - April 2
    Districts must publish first of four legal notices of budget vote and board election, (i.e. 4 times during the 7 weeks (49 days) preceding the date of the election, the first notice being published not later than 45 days before the election). (The 45th day before the election falls on Saturday, April 2nd. If newspaper(s) of general circulation will publish the first legal notice on Sat. April 2nd this complies with the deadline. However, better practice probably would be to publish on or before Friday April 1, 2011, but not before Tues. March 29th -- the 49th day before the election). Publication on Monday, April 4, 2011 probably also is permissible pursuant to Gen. Constr. Law §25-a).

April 18
    School Board Candidate Nominating Petitions Due in the Office of the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. 30 days before election. (Except in small cities) (30th Day Before Election Falls on Sunday, April 18th ; therefore Gen. Constr. Law controls and petitions are due on Monday, April 18th).

April 25
    Districts Must Transmit “Property Tax Report Card” to SED by the end of the next business day following its approval by the school board, but not later than the 24th Day Before Budget Vote. (The 24th day before the Budget Vote falls on Saturday, April 23rd. Therefore best practice would be to transmit the real property tax report card to SED by Friday, April 22, 2011. However, if a particular school board does not meet until April 22, 2011 to approve the property tax report card, then pursuant to the General Construction Law, the report card could be transmitted on Monday, April 25, 2011).

April 27
    School Board Candidate Nominating Petitions Due in Small City School Districts in Office of District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. (20 days before election).

April 26 - May 3
    Districts Must Complete Budget 7 Days Before Public Hearing.

May 3
    Last Possible Day for Voter Registration by School District Board of Registration in Small City School Districts (2 weeks before vote).

May 3 - 10
    Board Must Hold Public Hearing on the Budget (7-14 days before vote).

May 3 - 17
    Copies of the Budget Must be Available to the Residents upon Request (during the 14 days before the vote and on day of vote).

May 3 - 12
    Last Possible Day for Voter Registration by School District Boards of Registration (14-5 days before vote) (except in Small City School Districts - see above).

May 11
    Deadline for Mailing “Budget Notice” (6 days before vote).

May 17
    Annual Budget Vote and School Board Election.

Pursuant to New York State General Construction Law section 25-a(1), when a legal deadline falls “on a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday, such act may be done on the next succeeding business day and if the period ends at a specified hour, such act may be done at or before the same hour of such next succeeding business day.”
    Print this page.New York State School Boards Association | 24 Century Hill Drive, Suite 200 | Latham, New York 12110-2125
    (518) 783-0200 phone | (518) 783-0211 fax | info@nyssba.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This morning Andrea called the school board clerk to verify what the newspaper printed about the budget. Annette Iafallo told Andrea that she received "tons of calls" (some anonymous) complaining to her that Andrea (while working as an election inspector) told them to vote NO on the budget at St. Anthony's Hall.

First off, why didn't the calls come on the day of the election when this supposedly happened and could be verified? If this is true, why didn't Annette call Andrea immediately when she received all these tons of calls?? Wow, Andrea....you really have some pull down in the First Ward!!! Too bad the budget failed by 711 votes - not enough out of St. Anthony's 184 votes to blame Andrea. Oh wait - she got ahold of the other 527 people on her lunch break!!!! WAY TO GO ANDREA!!!!

This is another one of their twisted attacks to hurt someones reputation. Maybe the voters are finally seeing through the smoke screen of their "it's for the children" and realizing it is more about their "friends and family" club. Does anyone know what Andrea truly felt about the budget? I didn't see her comment on the budget anywhere as to how she felt about it.

How about the election worker who walked out of the polling site with the brother of one of the candidates? I wonder what current school employee Mindy "Harvey" Leonetti was telling voters while working as an election inspector - her TWO jobs are being cut from the budget as of July 1st.

Next I bet they will say that it is Andrea's fault that Sue Staniszewski did not receive the Democratic Endorsement last night for Council President!!

NT's budget was voted down because the Teachers Union refused to even take a pay freeze...

Irnoically, my wife and almost every teacher she knows would have taken one in order to save their co-workers jobs.

More proof the NYSUT isn't in it for the kids!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Its a free country you have a right to your opinion except in Lackawanna that's a whole other ball game!!! LOL

Ya know what's really weird? David Joyce: 1885 votes.....Budget NO: 1885 votes! Hmmmmmm..........

LOL go figure.........

I just discovered these boards last night while trying to find some more information about the failed school budget. I tried to vote at St. Michael's where I always vote and it didn't look like there was anyone there running the election...the usual voting room was set up for what looked like bingo...I then drove past the high school and Martin Rd. it would have been nice if there were signs out front that said "polling place" it was frustrating.

Anyway, I'm against corruption and I know at some point a stand needs to be taken but why do the kids have to be a casualty. I heard that if this budget doesn't pass there will be no kindergarten or only half day kindergarten. My son is set to start kindergarten in September. He went thru Pre-K and now what?? He just stays home a year, or I need to go into debt to send him to OLV?

Does anyone have any credible information about the consequences of not passing the budget? It seems so heartless to get rid of kindergarten.

I think the Board Clerk's head should be on the cutting block for the WRONG COUNT.

First the news said the budget passed and then after a recount...it failed. Someone is VERY POOR at counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gee, only off by 700+

Time for a new board clerk!!!! Whatever happened to "INTEGRITY?????"

Only five nays as school budgets pass muster
    Amid cuts, layoffs, districts get backingBy Barbara O’Brien

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
    May 19, 2011, 12:00 AM

0Related stories
    Martzloff in line to be Williamsville school chief
    Voters OK hard-times school budgets
    Budgets ask voters to pay more for less
    Updated: May 19, 2011, 11:24 AM

Tuesday’s school budget votes are noteworthy not only for what didn’t pass, but for what did.

Five budgets in Western New York failed, but the rest of the spending plans, as well as propositions spending millions of dollars, were approved.

Despite thousands of teachers and staff being laid off throughout the state, it was a typical year in which an overwhelming number of the budgets — more than 93 percent — passed.

“Voters realized that school officials did all they could to limit spending and taxes this year,” Timothy G. Kramer, executive director of the New York State School Boards Association, said in a statement.

Many districts used reserve funds and federal jobs money, as well as cutting other costs and gaining concessions from unions to deal with a $1.3 billion cut in state aid, he said.

In Western New York, school officials in Lackawanna, Iroquois, North Tonawanda, Batavia and Medina are trying to figure out why voters turned down their proposed budgets.

“The board is going to take some time and listen to the community, and they’ll get together in the future and determine how to proceed,” said Iroquois interim Superintendent Bruce T. Fraser. “I think this is a tough budget in a tough budget year.”

Board members must decide whether to submit the budget or another version to the voters June 21 or adopt a contingency budget.

In Iroquois, that would mean making an additional $120,000 in cuts, eliminating all equipment that is not health-or safety-related. The district also would reduce supplies to get down to the contingency level and would have to charge the community to use the schools.

The budget already cut $100,000 from athletics, including $40,000 for modified sports. Like many districts, the Iroquois tax levy will go up more than spending.

“It’s difficult to get the budget message out when the levy message screams so loudly,” said Donald A. Ogilvie, superintendent of Erie 1 Board of Cooperative Educational Services.

Incoming Iroquois Superintendent Douglas R. Scofield, who is the assistant superintendent for finance and personnel, said the tough economy and the cuts are several reasons that may have drawn “no” votes.

“We didn’t give people reason to come out and vote ‘yes’ for the budget because of the programs we removed,” he said.

The budget defeat in Lackawanna came as a surprise to school officials who Tuesday night had announced that the spending plan had received a thumbs-up by voters. After reviewing the vote totals, including absentee ballots, it was determined Wednesday evening that the plan had been defeated, 1,885 to 1,174.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    This morning Andrea called the school board clerk to verify what the newspaper printed about the budget. Annette Iafallo told Andrea that she received "tons of calls" (some anonymous) complaining to her that Andrea (while working as an election inspector) told them to vote NO on the budget at St. Anthony's Hall.

First off, why didn't the calls come on the day of the election when this supposedly happened and could be verified? If this is true, why didn't Annette call Andrea immediately when she received all these tons of calls?? Wow, Andrea....you really have some pull down in the First Ward!!! Too bad the budget failed by 711 votes - not enough out of St. Anthony's 184 votes to blame Andrea. Oh wait - she got ahold of the other 527 people on her lunch break!!!! WAY TO GO ANDREA!!!!

This is another one of their twisted attacks to hurt someones reputation. Maybe the voters are finally seeing through the smoke screen of their "it's for the children" and realizing it is more about their "friends and family" club. Does anyone know what Andrea truly felt about the budget? I didn't see her comment on the budget anywhere as to how she felt about it.

How about the election worker who walked out of the polling site with the brother of one of the candidates? I wonder what current school employee Mindy "Harvey" Leonetti was telling voters while working as an election inspector - her TWO jobs are being cut from the budget as of July 1st.

Next I bet they will say that it is Andrea's fault that Sue Staniszewski did not receive the Democratic Endorsement last night for Council President!!

Shame on Annette. If people could vote, SHE would be GONE!!!!!

I would rather be FIRED than kiss a** to stay in a job. How absolutely pathetic is this? Kath- your post says it all!!!

Oh hurry...it may not be too late to bring out the "Iafallo for Mayor" window light? Time to do a drive by and watch for it in the window??????

No. This is not an attempt to hurt Andrea's reputation but to deflect the heat to her so Annette gets a "stay of execution."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's for the kids is an old excuse. They need to cut jobs period. With the schools ranked 2nd to last this district needs to get it's priority straight. The good thing about this budget failure is that under state law they can not hire anyone unless a job is vacant. This pre k and k stuff is just a political ploy by those who run the district to "scare" the public into voting for the budget. If they lost state aid what did they "actually" cut to make up for it? They didn't cut nothing of substance because if they did the budget wouldn't have went up another million bucks after the state aid cuts. Now let them try to cut pre k and k they will be crucified!

Quote Literal " I think the Board Clerk's head should be on the cutting block for the WRONG COUNT.

First the news said the budget passed and then after a recount...it failed. Someone is VERY POOR at counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gee, only off by 700+

Time for a new board clerk!!!! Whatever happened to "INTEGRITY?????"

If that was off by 700 what else was? BTW I would bet Leonetti's wife will be the new board clerk. Just watch!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information