Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: School Budget Failed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    The School Board just can't accept the voters mandate. Will the Lackawanna School Board in their infinite wisdom ask the voters to vote again for the 3rd time?
    The law PROHIBITS a third vote. This is FINAL whatever they get after counting the absentee votes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Indeed....

Very well put, literal.
    In other words it really is a con game using OUR children as their shield. The game is played by telling scare tactic twists of the truth in order to increase unnecessary slush fund money------ funding to further build the Lackawanna "family and friends club", NOT better academics/graduation rates!

If and when they take kindergarten/Pre-K cuts, athletics, music, library, cheer-leading, buses, field trips, equipment etc. " to show those who voted NO "---then it is really a reflection on them and their fiduciary skills!
    NYS Election Law states that these cuts are NOT mandated under a Contingency Budget!

I did not hear one complaint from the Board about the super
    high cost of administration, or why so many teachers and administrators do NOT even live in Lackawanna!

LAW/FACTS!
    Contingency Budgets per NYS School Board Association LAW BOOK MUST:
    * Academic/Education Programs must be maintained
    * Preserve Property
    * Ensure the Health and Safety of Students and Staff
    LAW/FACTS!
    Examples of ITEMS " NOT CUT " FROM-ORDINARY CONTINGENCY BUDGETS; in other words, THE ALLOWABLE Contingency Budget EXSPENSES are:

* Pre-existing Contracts Expenditures
    * Teachers Salaries
    * Inter-School Athletics
    * Field Trips
    * Extracurricular Activities
    * Transportation
    * Cafeteria/Restaurant Services
    * Text Books
    * Health and Welfare Services
    * Kindergarten, Nursery, and Night Schools
    * Pre-K " IF THE BOARD CHOSES TO OFFER A PRE-K PROGRAM "( State Ed. Law 3602-E paragraph 11)
    * In-Service Training for Teachers
    * Teacher Supplies
    * Salaries for Non-Teaching Employees
    * Utilities
    * Emergency Repairs
    * Maintenance of necessary sanitation facilities
    * Fire Alarms and Systems
    * Newspaper and Periodical Subscriptions for the Library and Classrooms
    * Expenditures Necessary to ADVISE DISTRICT VOTERS CONCERNING SCHOOL MATTERS

Can Be Eliminated:
    * New Equipment
    * Public Use of School Buildings and Grounds
    * Non-Essential Maintenance
    * Capital Expenditures except in an emergency
    * Consultant services to review district operations and make recommendations necessary for the creation of the budget.

Can the school district increase teacher salaries and collective bargaining staff operating under a contingency budget?
    YES--pre-existing contracted
    The educational law requires that school districts that adopt a contingency budget continue the mileage limitation for the transportation of students LAST approved by the district voters---can only be changed by a SPECIAL Proposition passed by a majority of the district voters!
    In Addition, transportation to and from inter-scholastic events, field trips and other extra-curricular activities IS permissible under a contingency budget.

So........It is up to the Lackawanna School Board Trustees if they want to continue to ........play.......

Post Remember....

*** There is an approximately "" $ 5,000,000 "" Fund Balance built into the "Contingency Budget" on top of the appr. $600,000 left over from the Bethlehem Steel litigation monies!

Their failed budget would have given them $1,000,000 more to.....what? Give our kids a better education through increased teacher skills?
    No, we have some very brilliant teachers that use their skills creatively and wisely to teach OUR kids. It is obvious according to NYS Law that OUR kids will be taught AND the extra money raised through increasing taxes wasn't going to go to the teachers or OUR children.

The School Board can also spend down the $5,600,000 surplus money to fill in any unseen educational gaps. And stop taking grand trips to San Francisco and New York City.

Post P.S. Sore-Losers?

P.S.
    Went to Martin Road last night......
    First a resigned/ex-School Board Trustee and his wife spit derogatory remarks at me as I walked by.......then......
    After St. Anthony's vote count came in one of the Board Trustees sitting behind us jumped up and yelled, " There goes Athletics! " ......then........
    A teacher went off screaming, and screaming, and screaming, " wait till you have 30 kids in a class! "...........then.........

They were silent when the total vote tallies all came in, as they hovered together in the back of the auditorium.......but, the look on their faces spoke volumes!

The unprofessional behavior should not be allowed---EVERYONE has a right to their opinion and a majority spoke last night in favor of stopping patronage through tax increases.
    Let's ALL stop the political nonsense---and simply teach our kids!

Why Dont They Get It

I have read on here that people did this just to spite school board members, or because they have children in private schools, or they have no children, or my favorite they just dont care about the children. Let me tell you a couple things we have teachers who teach in our Lackawanna schools in grades 1 - 4 who make over $70,000.00 a year !! That is ludicrous they work (roughly) a 180 days a year they work (roughly) seven hours a day what a joke the kids that they are teaching do not even have to pass a required test by the state. I have heard that we have one teacher in the High School who makes over a $100,000.00 per (roughly) 180 days of work, she gets to pick what classes she will teach and picks the ones that she knows are always empty please tell me this isnt so. We parents work our tails off all year long and we dont make even half of what these teachers are making for a half of years worth of work. This summer as they are sitting on the beach at Mickey Rats drinking their Margaritas they better start thinking of this because the real hard working people of this over inflated sytem have broken their backs long enough. Then the sports, I could care less if you want your little Johnny to be the next broadway Joe or whomever heres the simple truth if you want this for your kid then YOU PAY FOR IT OUT OF YOUR POCKET not mine. I could care less if they did away with all of the sports we dont need to have sports to live we do however need a good education. The teachers in the City of Buffalo would complain about the residencey requirements for teachers and how that hurt them from getting good quality teachers. Here is another news flash a majority of our teachers dont live here and we have the third highest teacher payroll around here and we rank what third from the bottom in performance. Well buffalo at least you got tax money out of the leaches oh I meant teaches no no teachers by making them at least own a residence in your community. Whether or not we like who is on the school board has nothing to do with this except for how poorly they have done their job spending our money and that can be rectified through elections. I believe we just got three new board members so I hope they try and do better. Finally look at the names of the non professional employees and what their salaries are and convince me again why they say we are taking from the children!!!!!! It is on the see through ny site.

I wish there was a "LIKE" button for the last post! You hit the nail on the head Wake Up New York!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    I know that most on this thread are happy that this budget failed. I don't share your sentiment.

I understand the reason you voted no. You voted no to spite the board of ed. You are upset because of the corrupt way that they run the board. Student performance doesn't match up with the pay and benefits etc...of teachers and administrators. I get that.

HOWEVER, nothing ever changes! The school district was bad when I went 10 years ago and it's still bad. City Hall is corrupt now and has been for the last 30 years. Change never comes!

In the meantime the Elementary schools are fine at Lackawanna. I was very impressed the Pre-K program and you could not find a more dedicated principal than Mrs. Fernandez.

You have voted down this budget and the children will suffer more now than they will have if the budget had passed. My son will most likely not have full day kindergarten and the Pre-K program is in jeopardy. This is not the way to start kids off in their education!

So you stuck it to the board this year and said you were pissed. Most of you probably don't even have kids at school or you have the money to send your kids to private school.

I don't have that luxury. I'm taking a more direct route. I'm involved with my child's education. I am present at the school I am an active member of the PTA. I will regularly attend board meetings and eventually I may even run for the school board and try to improve things at the high school level where they are so bad.

The board doesn't care that you voted down their budget and sadly I don't think they care much for the children either...so they will just continue to take away from the kids...but nothing is going to change and this is a sad day for our elementary school kids.
    I suggest when they cut anything pertaining to kids rather than their friends and family on that overbloated teacher's aides list that you and every other parent show up at the school board meeting and protest like you never have before. Then call each and every one of them out on their patronage bs! That would be a great start. BTW make sure the media is there. They do not like publicity!

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    I dont think you people understand....you dont hurt the board you hurt the children.....So come football time and soccer and every other sport in the up coming school year there will be none. No pre k 1/2 day kindergarden and bigger class sizes because of teacher lay-offs just to name a few things. i am sure more to come dont blame the board. Blame the people who voted NO. but when that time comes i am sure they wont big enough to say they r the ones who did it to our children. Good luck to all w children you have a huge hill to climb.
    Figures a POS like you would say this. You still have 52,242 dollars more than last years budget. You ran every single program on 44 million but you can't run nothing on 44,052,242 ? Your going to cut all this stuff for kids to punish the "voters"? Shows what we have been saying all along is right, you never ever cared about the children just about your patronage and what's in it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post

I suggest when they cut anything pertaining to kids rather than their friends and family on that overbloated teacher's aides list that you and every other parent show up at the school board meeting and protest like you never have before. Then call each and every one of them out on their patronage bs! That would be a great start. BTW make sure the media is there. They do not like publicity!
    I would love to know how to interest the press. I went to the school board meeting tonight. Took my three kids with me to because my husband works nights and I didn't have a baby sitter. I read a statement pleading for full day kindergarten and the Pre-K program. I would love to get my statement published in the front page or talk to someone from the news.

I don't care about the politics. I don't play politics, I don't have the stomach for it. I do however want to shed light on ways that our children will be hurt from massive cuts. I don't care if we voted differently on the budget if anyone can help me, I'm open. I have made it my personal mission to save Pre-K and full day Kindergarten for the children at Truman school.

Post I Feel Your Pain/Frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    I would love to know how to interest the press. I went to the school board meeting tonight. Took my three kids with me to because my husband works nights and I didn't have a baby sitter. I read a statement pleading for full day kindergarten and the Pre-K program. I would love to get my statement published in the front page or talk to someone from the news.

I don't care about the politics. I don't play politics, I don't have the stomach for it. I do however want to shed light on ways that our children will be hurt from massive cuts. I don't care if we voted differently on the budget if anyone can help me, I'm open. I have made it my personal mission to save Pre-K and full day Kindergarten for the children at Truman school.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

563-4349,I will gladly help you if you want my help! I too will be personally affected by their ruthless, vindictive cuts " to get us back ". The MONEY IS THERE, NO reason to "cut" anything or any body's job! It is time for the Board of Trustees to stop playing their own pass the buck con using OUR kids, education, and sports as their wedge to keep us at bay. The voter turnout proves it, Citizens took a stand, and obviously 1189 people "woke up"!

""keep something at bay

Meaning: If you keep something at bay, you stop something that could be a problem for you from getting too close or from getting worse.""

Lightbulb How can you help when you already done the damage?

I was at the meeting.This woman was in support of the budget you fool!!!!What part about this don't you understand?The Budget is gone,the programs will be gone.Your Taxes will increase,and you and your buddy joe will be the first two nit wits bitchin about it!How sick are you,you talk about the kids this and the kids that.Then you crusade against cutting out a budget that will now only devastate the kids extra activities.And you did all of this with your grandson at your side!!Now your gonna say the money is there, but its not .That is why there is a budget!Did you ever ask joe why he is so worried about where every penny goes when he does not pay 1 red cent of any taxes to this city.why dont you and him start working on his house.needs paint,garage is falling over.Oh and clean his filthy windows,all the other neighbors got to look at that while he's driveing around wasteing good AIR!!

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    Oh stop this nonsense already that voting down the budget HURTS the kids. Really? Budgets are voted down across every state and life goes on.

When it is the end of the month and you have more bills than money to make ends meet do you INTENTIONALLY hurt yourself and your family?????

The answer if "YES" would be only because you managed your money poorly or did not ADJUST YOUR BUDGET to meet your needs. There are, of course, situations out of a person's control but that is NOT THE CASE here.Year after year people are hired for an "OVERSTAFFED" budget. EVERY BOARD MEMBER for the last ten years who said yes to hiring ANYONE should be held accountable. THAT WAS GREED FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS and NOT GOOD BUDGET MANAGEMENT. So now we are in the "oh woe is me mode" and it is the PEOPLE'S fault???? This is exactly why the city looks STUPID to other districts. This is STINKING thinking. Threatening taxpayers that if they do not pay up, the children will suffer. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!

The children have been suffering for years with being at the BOTTOM of all districts report card achievements. EVERY YEAR the people and children are embarrassed by the public results. So... did you care about that???

All the taxpayers have been forced to do now is STOP THE BLEEDING. I say thank you to all those people who voted no. They are the ones who care and have courage to stand up for the CHILDREN!

I hope that budget goes down for many more years until the state is forced to come and re-district the kids elsewhere! No one wants to see anyone not have a job but you can thank your friend(s) on the Board who gave you the job when there would NEVER be enough money to guarantee you a retirement.
    That is pure unadelterated GREED at taxpayer expense. Just how many teachers and employees actually live in and support this community??? Hmmm...thanks for that from the SUPERINTENDENT across all departments.

Sorry, wipe your tears and move on...

Charter schools were started to offer families a "CHOICE" when their district is a failing school district (like Lackawanna). There are several Charter schools available besides Global...one right on South Park near Wayside.
    I say...start looking at your options. Take control of your own destiny!!!
    Spoken like a true disgruntled former employee

Dear literal

would you share the reason for your 'resignation'

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    I was at the meeting.This woman was in support of the budget you fool!!!!What part about this don't you understand?The Budget is gone,the programs will be gone.Your Taxes will increase,and you and your buddy joe will be the first two nit wits bitchin about it!How sick are you,you talk about the kids this and the kids that.Then you crusade against cutting out a budget that will now only devastate the kids extra activities.And you did all of this with your grandson at your side!!Now your gonna say the money is there, but its not .That is why there is a budget!Did you ever ask joe why he is so worried about where every penny goes when he does not pay 1 red cent of any taxes to this city.why dont you and him start working on his house.needs paint,garage is falling over.Oh and clean his filthy windows,all the other neighbors got to look at that while he's driveing around wasteing good AIR!!
    The budget is NOT gone. There is always a budget!!! Yes, taxes will increase. No kid will be devastated. Cut some positions and maybe you will have some money for the KIDS!!!. I am sitting here laughing over this post. Life is passing Lackawanna by....do YOU realize you are arguing over something that is obsolete? EVERYWHERE across America K-8 On-Line learning is taking education by storm. The model is changing....life will be for those who adjust the lens in their camera to see what the FUTURE holds. You are in sleepy hollow. I just came back from Georgia where on line education is changing the face of how kids learn. You want textbooks? Most districts are throwing their's away as they embrace computer on line texts. Sorry, you have NO vision. You are stuck in a time warp. The golden goose of Bethelem Steel died a hard death that people could not believe and the school district will soon see a similar fate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    would you share the reason for your 'resignation'
    I have already answered that question on these posts.

I am not now nor have every been "disgruntled." I take control over my own destiny. After LA I spent several more years in administration and retired. I continue to work and rest assured you will see my name again as I help others to be part of the "new" education model.

And you? What is YOUR contribution?????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information