Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: School Budget Failed

[QUOTE=andreahaxton;762346]

Whatever!..... Makeyenko told me he researched me all the way back to my first boyfriend!--- Who Cares?

QUOTE]

"What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lackawanna City School District
    Board of Education

Meet the 2011-2012 Board of Education
    John W. Makeyenko, President
    Ronald S. Miller, Vice President
    Lisa M. Friend
    Maureen Gambino
    David M. Joyce
    Kenneth S. Motyka
    Michael G. Sanders

Nicholas D. Korach, School Superintendent

Sameh Masry, School Business Official

Carl W. Morgan, School Attorney/Special Education Attorney

Annette Iafallo, Board Clerk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Is 2011/12' School Year the Year WE Start Climbing the Education Ladder?

Flip-Flop!
    Cops and........
    All of them have Cadillac health coverage----and I know eye exams are covered!

What is our rank again?
    I feel so sorry for OUR children and parents who suffer due to the patronage!
    My family is one of them.

July 6, 2010
    Minutes of the SPECIAL MEETING of the Lackawanna City School District’s Board of Education held on
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 in the Superintendent Conference Room 202, McKinley Administration Bldg., 245 South
    Shore Blvd., Lackawanna.
    A) OPENING
    Board President, John W. Makeyenko called the meeting to order at 7:04 P.M.
    ROLL CALL
    BOARD MEMBERS Present: Ronald S. Miller, Lisa M. Friend, Ernie Leonetti, Omar Saleh, Kevin Rozwood,
    Michael Sanders and John Makeyenko
    ADMINISTRATORS PRESENT
    Nicholas D. Korach Superintendent of Schools
    Sameh Masry School Business Official
    Carl W. Morgan School Attorney
    Mary Hoffman Federal Programs
    Motion by Board President Makeyenko to go into Executive Session, seconded by Ronald Miller to discuss
    Personnel.
    All in favor/ none opposed
    Executive Session Started at 7:04 P.M.
    Motion by John Makeyenko to come out of Executive Session, seconded by Omar Saleh.
    All were in favor / none opposed.
    Executive Session ended by 7:56 P.M.
    Roll Call was taken, ALL BOARD MEMBERS present, Special Meeting resumed.
    1) APPROVE RESOLUTION FOR 2010 TEACHER RETIREMENT INCENTIVE
    Motion by Michael Sanders, seconded by Omar Saleh, upon the recommendation of the Superintendent of
    Schools, Nicholas D. Korach to approve the attached resolution for the NYS Teachers Retirement System – Part
    A.
    DULY PUT TO A VOTE: ALL AGREED attachment #1 APPROVED
    LACKAWANNA CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
    BOARD OF EDUCATION
    245 SOUTH SHORE BOULEVARD
    LACKAWANNA, NEW YORK 14218
    Page 2 of 3 July 6, 2010
    2) APPROVED RESOLUTION FOR 2010 EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT INCENTIVE
    Motion by Ronald Miller, seconded by Michael Sanders, upon the recommendation of the Superintendent of
    Schools, Nicholas D. Korach to approve the attached resolution for the NYS Employees Retirement System –
    Part A.
    DULY PUT TO A VOTE: ALL AGREED attachment #2 APPROVED
    3) APPROVE MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT – LACKAWANNA ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL
    Motion by Ronald Miller, seconded by Kevin Rozwood, upon the recommendation of the Superintendent of
    Schools, Nicholas D. Korach to approve the attached Memorandum of Agreement between the Lackawanna City
    School District and the Lackawanna Administrative Council to reorganize assignments and responsibilities of
    the Administrative Staff.
    DULY PUT TO A VOTE: ALL AGREED attachment # 3 APPROVED
    4) APPROVE TEMPORARY ADMINISTRATIVE ASSIGNMENTS
    Motion by Michael Sanders, seconded by John Makeyenko, upon the recommendation of the Superintendent of
    Schools, Nicholas D. Korach to approve the attached assignments of Administrative Staff for the 2010/2011
    School Year effective August 6, 2010 per the Lackawanna Administrative Council CBA Article XIV Section
    DULY PUT TO A VOTE: ALL AGREED attachment #4 APPROVED
    5) APPROVE ABOLISHING OF FOUR (4) MAINTENANCE POSITIONS, CREATING OF TWO (2)
    CUSTODIAL POSITIONS AND DETERMINATION HEARINGS
    Motion by Omar Saleh, seconded by Michael Sanders to TABLE # 5 PENDING FURTHER INFORMATION.
    Board President called the vote for the TABLED motion.
    DULY PUT TO A VOTE:
    YEAS – Saleh and Sanders
    NAYS – Miller, Friend, Leonetti, Rozwood and Makeyenko
    MOTION TO TABLE - FAILED
    Board President Makeyenko asked the Board Clerk to read the Resolution for #5.
    WHEREAS, DUE TO New York State’s present economic condition, the Lackawanna City School District (“the
    District”) anticipates a reduction in State Aid to the District over the next two (2) fiscal years; and
    WHEREAS, the School Business Official informed the Board of Education in his letter dated May 19, 2010 that
    the expected decrease in State Aid for the next (2) school years will compel the reduction in the District’s staff
    through the abolition of positions and /or the consolidation of duties performed by District personnel; and
    Page 3 of 3 July 6, 2010
    WHEREAS, it is the judgment of the Lackawanna Board of Education and the Superintendent of Schools that
    certain duties currently performed by both Maintenance Persons and Custodians within the Maintenance
    Department may be more economically performed by the elimination of four (4) Maintenance Person positions
    along with the simultaneous creation of two (2) Custodian Positions.
    NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, upon the recommendation of the Superintendent of Schools, that four
    (4) Maintenance Person positions be and same are hereby abolished effective at the end of the business day on
    Friday, August 6, 2010; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Board of Education hereby authorizes the creation and posting of two
    (2) Custodian positions, and the Superintendent is hereby authorized to obtain the list of eligible candidates for
    said position from the Lackawanna Municipal Civil Service Commission; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Superintendent of Schools together with the Supervisor of Building and
    Grounds is hereby authorized to conduct interviews for those interested candidates and make their
    recommendation for potential hiring by the Board of Two (2) Custodian persons at their regular monthly board
    meeting in August, 2010; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Superintendent of Schools is hereby directed to notify those excessed
    employees of a Determination Hearing before the Superintendent of Schools for the purpose of determining what
    rights said employees may enjoy as a result of realization of seniority status in any prospective or pending
    employment capacities of the Lackawanna City School District; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a Determination Hearing will be held by the Superintendent on or before
    July 14, 2010 and any excessed employee (s) shall be notified in writing of the date and time of the hearing via
    regular mail.
    Motion by John Makeyenko, seconded by Lisa Friend to accept the Resolution.
    DULY PUT TO A VOTE WHICH IS RECORDED AS FOLLOWS:
    AYES: Miller, Friend, Leonetti, Rozwood and Makeyenko
    NAYS: Saleh and Sanders
    RESOLUTION TO ABOLISH FOUR (4) MAINTENANCE POSITIONS/CREATION OF TWO (2)
    CUSTODIAL POSITIONS AND DETERMINATION HEARINGS APPROVED
    MOTION TO ADJOURN BY JOHN MAKEYENKO, SECONDED BY MICHAEL SANDERS
    ALL IN FAVOR/NONE OPPOSED SPECIAL MEETING ADJOURNED AT 8:10 P.M.
    Annette Iafallo
    Board Clerk
    Page 5 of 3 July 6, 2010
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David Joyce is a great guy BUT appointing his wife to an aide postion before July 1, 2011 is a red flag. Even though Special Education will be needing a 1:1 aide, she cannot be it. BOTTOM LINE is SENIORITY.

Now the question is WHY would the BOE hire someone knowing their budget and staffing is out of whack and even if they can carry the budget with money they have in reserve?????????.....next year the scenario will be DEVASTATING!

These people are beyond ARROGANT and SHAME on that Superintendent who has no moral compass!!!!
    Last edited by literal; July 7th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rick Juda is gone from Special Ed (Budgetary Cut!) and Morgan does Sp. Ed.
    Sue Gavin is over her head in Sp. Ed and Masry and Christine Sawran will leave the district end of the month.

Hmmmmmm....NOT GOOD!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Flip-Flop!
    Cops and........
    All of them have Cadillac health coverage----and I know eye exams are covered!

What is our rank again?
    I feel so sorry for OUR children and parents who suffer due to the patronage!
    My family is one of them.
    There is a solution to this problem but involves working with our congressional delegation. Here is the simple solution. Tax benefits as income! here is how it works. If your benefit package is $40,000 ( health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, dental, vision fully paid retirement,etc) then the federal tax would be $10,000 per year more. Think about this, minimum wage employees usually have no benefits and would pay no extra taxes. Some people have to pay a portion of their cost of their benefits and their taxes would be reduced by that cost. For the people that pay for their healthcare cost entirely out of their own pocket they would not have to pay anything more. Why should the fat cats who have a large portion of their total income hidden in benefits not have to pay for those benefits? Why should the people that least afford to pay (minimium wage employees) have to carry these costs when in fact the better the healthcare coverage the more the employer has to PAY. If this happened we could lower the effected tax rate for everybody. I'll bet that the the people with the outrageous health plans would be begging to either reduce the plan or get lower cost plans.

Post Mr. Masery?

He makes appr. $ 66,000/yr+ for retirement pension income(don't know if it includes his Soc. Sec.)........
    And since the John-John administration he makes appr. $93,000/yr+ working when he wants to........

Do you think he will really go this time?
    Life is too short---I can't wait to retire so I can.....be with my Son in Florida family more!

Don't get me wrong....I like Sam, BUT, can't we save some money somewhere on a per diem CPA?

Post Every Little Bit Helps!

We probably wouldn't have to pay them health insurance either. They carry on their own.

How much does a single person coverage cost in the City/School?
    Family?

How about if the City/School partnered somehow (legalities-unions ?) to become a larger bargaining unit to fight for lower insurance premiums for all?
    Maybe we can start a trend.
    The more in it---the lower the cost to spend on landscaping the City and books for ALL kids!

Lackawanna City Budget Line Item A. 9060 Hospital and Medical Insurance
    2010/11' $3,200,000
    2011/12' $3,500,000

Post Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    There is a solution to this problem but involves working with our congressional delegation. Here is the simple solution. Tax benefits as income! here is how it works. If your benefit package is $40,000 ( health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, dental, vision fully paid retirement,etc) then the federal tax would be $10,000 per year more. Think about this, minimum wage employees usually have no benefits and would pay no extra taxes. Some people have to pay a portion of their cost of their benefits and their taxes would be reduced by that cost. For the people that pay for their healthcare cost entirely out of their own pocket they would not have to pay anything more. Why should the fat cats who have a large portion of their total income hidden in benefits not have to pay for those benefits? Why should the people that least afford to pay (minimium wage employees) have to carry these costs when in fact the better the healthcare coverage the more the employer has to PAY. If this happened we could lower the effected tax rate for everybody. I'll bet that the the people with the outrageous health plans would be begging to either reduce the plan or get lower cost plans.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I'll carry a petition!
    Good One!

He makes appr. $ 66,000/yr+ for retirement pension income(don't know if it includes his Soc. Sec.)........
    And since the John-John administration he makes appr. $93,000/yr+ working when he wants to........

Life is too short---I can't wait to retire so I can.....be with my Son in Florida family more!

Don't get me wrong....I like Sam, BUT, can't we save some money somewhere on a per diem CPA?
    there are alot of hidden costs regarding SMs job, face amount of salary means nothing, pick apart the total budget someday

When a person turns 65 they can collect their full social security and an unlimited salary. So what I think happened had nothing to do with Makeyenko but Sam's age. They need him so they were willing to pay to keep him.

All schools are required to have a Business Manager. A CPA most likely would not know Education Law and Lackawanna needs someone with the right credentials.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And there isn't any "other" qualified person for this position? Willing to pay him, why is that?

How do you retire with no job? Oh ic welfare and then ss, and we wonder why were broke. Arent you retired now?

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    David Joyce is a great guy BUT appointing his wife to an aide postion before July 1, 2011 is a red flag. Even though Special Education will be needing a 1:1 aide, she cannot be it. BOTTOM LINE is SENIORITY.

Now the question is WHY would the BOE hire someone knowing their budget and staffing is out of whack and even if they can carry the budget with money they have in reserve?????????.....next year the scenario will be DEVASTATING!

These people are beyond ARROGANT and SHAME on that Superintendent who has no moral compass!!!!
    whats up with nickie, back in the day he had some guts, padding his retirement

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information