Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new street name to memorialize a baseball legend

new street name to memorialize a baseball legend

Article from speakupwny.com

New Street Name in South Buffalo Approved

Press Releases
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Street Name in South Buffalo Approved
    By Cindy Gauthier
    Aug 12, 2004, 11:23

In a resolution signed by South District Council member James D. Griffin last month, it has been requested to change the name of Cazenovia Parkway which runs through Cazenovia Park to "Warren Spahn Parkway" to honor a baseball great from South Buffalo.

Griffin said in the resolution submitted to the Common Council that Warren Spahn was born in Buffalo, NY on April 23, 1921 and played baseball on the streets and in the parks in South Buffalo during his childhood. He also served in the United States Army earning a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for bravery. Spahn was a pitcher for 21 seasons in the Major League, which includes World Series Championship games in 1948 for the Boston Braves and the Milwaukee Braves in 1957 and 1958.

Warren Spahn won more games than any other left-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball to date and he finished his career with 363 wins, ranking him 6th of all time in Major League Baseball history. In 1973 Spahn was inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.

The Common Council of the City of Buffalo approved the resolution and new street name to memorialize the baseball legend has already taken place. Warren Spahn Parkway, like Cazenovia Parkway will remain as a main connection to Seneca Street, Cazenovia Street and Abbott Road through Cazenovia Park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corner.jpg  

thank you for the insightful leadership you have brought to the common council, mr griffin...

what an inportant and groundbreaking piece of legislation!

gimme jimmy...
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I understand things in general need to push on as the world turns but renaming a street doesn't make sense. How much did the new street sign cost? who paid to have it put up? How much stuff down the line needs to be changed map wise and stuff for this change of name?

He should take that time spent and fired people we DO not need working for the tax payer. You know they are there. THat would impress me more than a new street name.

thank you for the insightful leadership you have brought to the common council, mr griffin...
    what an inportant and groundbreaking piece of legislation!

IMO- You'd be PO'ed no matter what Griffin did. I bet you'd be really ticked to know that he has secured money from the city to begin putting new sidewalks in along Seneca Street.

How much stuff down the line needs to be changed map wise and stuff for this change of name?

Not much has to be changed, the former Cazenovia Parkway has no residential or business addresses. This is just a street running through Cazenovia Park.

THat would impress me more than a new street name.

The family and friends of Warren Spahn remaining here would think it's the other way around.

The honoring of a past resident from Buffalo is a small form of keeping their memory alive. If what was done for this street is so wrong, then I guess the city will have to open the city streets map and begin renaming all of the roadways whom are named after someone. ... lets start with McKinley Parkway or Cleveland Drive.

He should take that time spent and fired people we DO not need working for the tax payer.

I will have to look into it, but I don't think Mr. Griffin has the authority to just fire anyone. He can write a resolution with suggested office personel to desolve, but to just show up at various offices and issue pinks slips is out of his hands... who do you think he is, Donald Trump?

Even if he puts in writing 'to fire' people, there's no guarentee (sp?) it will pass in Council.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    THat would impress me more than a new street name.

The family and friends of Warren Spahn remaining here would think it's the other way around.

The honoring of a past resident from Buffalo is a small form of keeping their memory alive. If what was done for this street is so wrong, then I guess the city will have to open the city streets map and begin renaming all of the roadways whom are named after someone. ... lets start with McKinley Parkway or Cleveland Drive.
    I didn't say it was wrong, it seems like a waste of time when there are more important issues which effect the community.

When the other streets were named it was probally years ago when the city was more prosperous. Perhaps in stead of worrying about superficial stuff and start worrying what makes us a competative area would be in order.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    He should take that time spent and fired people we DO not need working for the tax payer.

I will have to look into it, but I don't think Mr. Griffin has the authority to just fire anyone. He can write a resolution with suggested office personel to desolve, but to just show up at various offices and issue pinks slips is out of his hands... who do you think he is, Donald Trump?

Even if he puts in writing 'to fire' people, there's no guarentee (sp?) it will pass in Council.
    You know what i mean. I didn't mean he would just walk in and fire a patronage nephew or cousin. I mean acutally work to make the city more efficient, make people work harder.. We need to be competative. You don't get successful sitting on your arse.

Yes. other regions of the country have brand-new streets and can name them after whoever they like instead of wasting time and money renaming existing streets....

I have to side with Night Owl on this one.

Warren Spahn is a hall of famer, one of the winningest pitchers in baseball history. Buffalo should be proud to have him as a native son.

So, if it cost a few grand or so to put up new signs, who cares? A little civic pride is what this second-rate city needs.

Administrator
    A few grand there... a few grand over there and before you know it you have the highest property/state/sale tax in the nation.

A little civic pride is what this second-rate city needs.

That is what I think.

I will do what I can to get a dolloar amount in what was paid for the signs and the labor to put them up for you people. Either way, it wouldn't make the slightest difference because it's already done, the name is changed and the signs are up.

I only did the story as an informative peice to let the residents of South Buffalo know something has occured.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    OH there's nothing wrong with renaming a street. It's just when the city seems one step from being bankrupt it seems pointless.

OH there's nothing wrong with renaming a street. It's just when the city seems one step from being bankrupt it seems pointless.
    What a great example of someone with some common sense. Something we need a little more of.

No provision

Could someone show me where there is a provision in the law that allows a city in NYS to go bankrupt. I've looked, but have found nothing. All knowing Curm, please help an uneducated man. Point me in the right direction.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Show me one provision in the constitution which states we need to support 1000's of government employees/politicians at top notch benefits?

I think you're falling short of staying on the topic of the thread.

But, hey... who cares anyways? We'll stay in the swallows of negitive thoughts and say screw the positive intentions for Buffalo and/or Western new York.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information