View Poll Results: Urban and Suburban Stereotypes:

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am urban and I think suburban people are tacky and wimpy.

6 10.91%
  • I'm urban and I think, "Hey, live where ya want."

16 29.09%
  • I'm suburban and I think urban people are either scary or weird.

6 10.91%
  • I'm suburban and I thin, "Hey, live where ya want."

27 49.09%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban and Suburban Stereotypes Poll

Urban and Suburban Stereotypes Poll

So, quite often on this board there have been posts that seem to subtly reflect the ongoing "us against them" mentality between the city and suburbs in WNY.

I think there are a lot of stereotypes out there among the urban residents in regard to how "suburban" types live. Also, there are stereotypes among the suburban residents in regard to how "urban" types live.

So riddle me this:

--If you live in in the city, do you really think that all "surburban types" of people are ruffled apron wearing milksops who cringe every time they see a black person and freak at the thought of having to drive into "the city?" Do you think that suburbanites sit around eating Wonder Bread all day while they are watching Lawrence Welk reruns and pondering their next batch of chocolate chip cookies? Furthermore, do you feel yourself superior to the "tacky suburban types" because you live in the city?

--Or... Do you live in the city but think, "Hey, some people live in the city and some people live in the surburbs. It is what it is and I don't hate anyone for their choice of lifestyle." Furthermore, do you have no qualms about associating with people from the surburbs and/or doing business in the burbs?

--If you live in the suburbs, do you really think that all "urban types" of people are either gun toting gang bangers or clove cigarette smoking pretentious art farts who love to make fun of "the burbs?" Do you think that they sit around all day either dealing drugs or going to art shows, that they either live in a crumbling crack house or live in a remodeled Victorian mansion? Furthermore, do you feel yourself superior to the "scary/artsy urban types" because you live in the suburbs?

--Or... Do you live in the suburbs but think, "Hey, some people live in the suburbs and some people live in the city. It is what it is and I don't hate anyone for their choice of lifestyle." Furthermore, do you have no qualms about associating with people from the city and or doing business in the city?
    Last edited by Achbek1; October 16th, 2007 at 08:36 AM.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Sorry...but after hearing people getting pissy before last year's Holiday party about having to go to "big scary downtown", and then earlier this year having it insinuated that I'm less of a parent for wanting to raise my children in the city, I've got a nasty taste in my mouth from a few suburban/rural stiffs.

Achie-baby....you're exempt.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I grew up on the West side. I've lived on 14th. Walked to my grandma's on West and Hudson, lived around Grant Street, I was fairly all over the West side. I was 22 years old when I took my 4 year old son to the suburbs. I didn't like that I lived on Lafayette and Grant and had to send him to an all day pre-K on Roehrer and E Ferry. I did it for 6 months and didn't like it at all. I was told that there was nothing that could be done about that. So, I moved to a school district that shared the same ideals as I had. Does that make me a better mother for doing so? Heck no! If I had money to place him in a private school I would have. But I was on public assistance at the time and that wasn't affordable to me.
    Downtown isn't scary.
    run4it, don't let people and their pissy attitudes deter you from having a good time with others.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    ...don't let people and their pissy attitudes deter you from having a good time with others.
    Exactly.

I for one think that people from the city and the suburbs should get along better than they do and let go of this whole "those people" mentality.

Seeing as how quite often, on any given day, the average WNYer does business in both the city and the suburbs, through work or entertainment or otherwise...

My "artsy" brother in law was over yesterday. He's got blue hair and hangs out with artists... He lives in the city... His cell phone rang and he gave a, "Yeah... I"m out here in the 'burbs..." but there was nothing inherently evil in that statement...

I think.

I grew up on the West side. I've lived on 14th. Walked to my grandma's on West and Hudson, lived around Grant Street, I was fairly all over the West side. I was 22 years old when I took my 4 year old son to the suburbs. I didn't like that I lived on Lafayette and Grant and had to send him to an all day pre-K on Roehrer and E Ferry. I did it for 6 months and didn't like it at all. I was told that there was nothing that could be done about that. So, I moved to a school district that shared the same ideals as I had. Does that make me a better mother for doing so? Heck no! If I had money to place him in a private school I would have. But I was on public assistance at the time and that wasn't affordable to me.
    Downtown isn't scary.
    run4it, don't let people and their pissy attitudes deter you from having a good time with others.
    I live in that hood now and I prefer it over the town of Hamburg where i grew up.
    ..but i voted live where you want.

There's candy@$$e$ in the city and scary weirdos in the suburbs, too.
    Believe it.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    I live in that hood now and I prefer it over the town of Hamburg where i grew up.
    ..but i voted live where you want.

There's candy@$$e$ in the city and scary weirdos in the suburbs, too.
    Believe it.
    at the time I was a young divorced (I hate when divorced and single are interchanged) mom. The paper man, a 40-ish year old, smelled of whiskey and demanded a tip. That was scary-funny.
    I believe I am where I am meant to be. I'm good with it.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

The paper man, a 40-ish year old, smelled of whiskey and demanded a tip.
    That was actually Stevenco.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    That was actually Stevenco.
    I'm stunned! At least now I can bitch slap him for it.

I'm stunned! At least now I can bitch slap him for it.
    Mesue,
    theresin is a damn liar. You've been here a year or so and you still don't know that? I suppose that makes sense. You took my charcoal reply seriously. That was not me, I assure you, but you can still bitch slap me if you want to because I like it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    Mesue,
    ..., but you can still bitch slap me if you want to because I like it alot.
    I figured you would, that's why I said that

I live in the suburbs, and I think urbanites are tacky and wimpy.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1

?

I live in the burbs and I know SOME are uppity and like to boast about what they have and how much it cost them.

Also SOMEuntil they find out what you do for a living ,they wouldn't get caught hanging out with you (at your house) or invite you other as a minority.

The inner ring suburbs are a nice compromise.

You have the "comfort" of suburbia without the snootiness and "antisepticness" of some of the other parts of suburbia.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information