Thread: Efforts mount to open Buffalo lighthouse to the public

Efforts mount to open Buffalo lighthouse to the public

The Buffalo lighthouse sits on 31 waterfront acres along Fuhrmann Boulevard that have been off-limits to the public since 9/11.

Still, visitors show up every day at the security gate, hoping for a chance to step into the 174-year-old landmark and enjoy one of the most beautiful views in the city.

“They get upset when we won’t let them in,” said a U.S. Coast Guard sentry who asked not to be named. “Their next question is, ‘How do we find our way back to the city?’ We now [hand out] maps.”

While most public attention on developing Buffalo’s waterfront has focused on the historic canal wharf, momentum quietly has been building to allow the public into the difficult-to-access limestone lighthouse and turn the surrounding site into a public waterfront park.

The site “provides a magnificent view of the lake and of the Niagara River and the city skyline,” said Julie O’Neill, president of Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper. “It’s a real regional treasure that’s been isolated and kept from the people.”

O’Neill said she can envision canoes and kayaks being launched from the site, which is across the mouth of the Buffalo River from Erie Basin Marina. The land could also support a range of activities, from recreational sports to a children’s playground and picnic tables.

“It’s a gorgeous day, and less than 50 people will be going up this thing this year. It’s ridiculous, really,” said Thomas Johnston, president of the all-volunteer Buffalo Lighthouse Association.

Rep. Brian Higgins and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton have introduced legislation to turn the lighthouse site and adjacent Coast Guard facility into a park.

And the Coast Guard, now under the Department of Homeland Security, has indicated its willingness to oblige, claiming the site is too large for its present needs and difficult to maintain.

The area around the lighthouse is another important part of the greenway being developed along the water’s edge, Higgins said. The southern border bumps up against Times Beach Nature Preserve, where 240 species of birds have been recorded since the wetlands opened to the public in August 2004.

“I understand this period of heightened security, but this is one of the oldest standing structures in Buffalo. You can’t get to it, and you’re greeted by a fence that says ‘keep out,’ ” Higgins said.

The 1833 lighthouse — one of Buffalo’s oldest structures and one of the lake’s two oldest beacons — was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and designated a city landmark two years later.

It’s owned by the Coast Guard, but the Buffalo Lighthouse Association was granted temporary control of the landmark 23 years ago and has spent about $300,000 on restoration and maintenance, including extensive regrouting. The City of Buffalo spent about $100,000 on a brick path that leads to the lighthouse.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/150686.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Been up it..

The work that has been done to the Lighthouse has made it a real treat to visit, and I've had the fortunate opportunity to not only walk up around the site, but to actually enter the structure and all associated parts therein.

The sad fact of the matter is that accessing the site allows one to have direct and virtually unrestricted access to the USCG Facility pretty much outright. Prior to the days of "OMG Terrorists!" the public could not only go there, but enjoy amenities of a rather nice mini-park. The saddest thing is that (as recent as '05 if memory serves, and I wasn't paying attention to the 'park' part of it in 06' and failed to make it to the site in 07') from the gate, one can see the restricted access barrier that allowed people to walk in and down to the lighthouse and picnic tables, as well as the standard 'rules' sign. Regardless, from my understanding the structure itself remains locked 24/7/363. I say this because, there is a two day period I know of that the lighthouse is accessible, and serves for a public relations event: ARRL Field Day (Photos of the 2003 Lighthouse Group (K2ZR) during Field Day:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=49&call=k2zr
    )

Now from my understanding, the USCG at least /used to/ allow persons access on weekends; however I suspect that has changed by the tone of the article. It is a great location/landmark and it is a shame that the public can't enjoy it unrestricted; but personally I don't see, given its location/proximity/inclusion within the USCG facility, a viable way that it could be 'opened' to unrestricted public access; given the current 'OMG Terrorists!' mentality that exists within the current government view.

-Tom

Thread Information