Thread: looking for drywaller/handyman

looking for drywaller/handyman

I'm in the process of remodeling a basement room to be a home theater/playroom. The previous owners (for reasons that completely escape me) decided to panel over the drywall. As you might expect, this resulted in some messed up drywall when the panel was removed. It is mostly surface damage and I believe it can be saved.

I just finished making an exercise room and neither my wife nor I have the stomach for another big project. I'm looking for someone to come in and help us out, possibly right through the painting of the walls. There are two rooms affected. I've included some sample shots below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wall A.jpg   wall B.jpg  
    Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Oscar Wilde

I have some drywall work I'd like completed as well.

Even if nobody wants the work, can they answer a few questions?

How small of a job is too small? I'd like to get a sheet or two on my ceiling replaced. I also have a project I started upstairs that needs finished (door jams, mouldings, mudding, and painting that needs done).
    I could do it, but I'm not handy enough for it to be in such high profile/visible areas. I hesitate getting somebody from the pennysaver because, well, I just do. Kind of spooked out by it, yet I'm willing to let one of you psychos in to my home....

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post

How small of a job is too small? I'd like to get a sheet or two on my ceiling replaced. I also have a project I started upstairs that needs finished (door jams, mouldings, mudding, and painting that needs done).
    I could do it, but I'm not handy enough for it to be in such high profile/visible areas. I hesitate getting somebody from the pennysaver because, well, I just do. Kind of spooked out by it, yet I'm willing to let one of you psychos in to my home....
    Nogods called me,, he said he needs your address. He'll start tomorrow.

Pennysaver and other small circulars are a fine source for work like you have, or therising and I could come over.. you'd better have beer and plenty of it.
    Last edited by Save Us; March 29th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post

We've done 4 rooms in our house from floor to ceiling. Spend the 20 bucks to rent a drywall jack, and invest in the different width tools, and it really is quite easy. you just need to be patient and allow each coat to dry completely when mudding or it gets really ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeWNY View Post
    you just need to be patient and allow each coat to dry completely when mudding or it gets really ugly.
    You've seen the level of patience I display here, right? It's not an act...

I've got patience for hunting and fishing. Anything else, I'm in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Nogods called me,, he said he needs your address. He'll start tomorrow.

Pennysaver and other small circulars are a fine source for work like you have, or therising and I could come over.. you'd better have beer and plenty of it.
    I can't use nogoods. I'd have to rent a carpet cleaner and re-do all of my hardwoods to get the piss stains out after he left. Not only is he old, but I have a dog, and you know how that old codger gets...

If I hire a Pennysaver guy and he turns out prycho I'm holding you respsonsible. it's the american way!

Every idiot that got laid off from selling cars now thinks he is a general contractor.

The home improvement industry is overwhelmed with bums who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a hammer

But here is a guy who knows what he is doing. He ain't cheap, but he knows what he is doing.

You can pay him now to do it right, or you can pay him later to fix the "I used to sell washers and dryers at Rosa's" guy's work.

Kuhn Contracting - Alan Kuhn, 662-2223

Fisher, I recommend paying to have it done professionally. I'm all for being a weekend warrior but when it comes to drywall finishing you often don't realize that you did it poorly until months later. I just built an exercise room and I did all of the drywall myself. The time it takes to get everything right if you're not used to doing it just isn't worth it.

A friend of mine gave me the name and number of a guy that he says is a drywall wiz. I'll let you know how it works out.
    Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by muchgooder View Post
    I'm in the process of remodeling a basement room to be a home theater/playroom. The previous owners (for reasons that completely escape me) decided to panel over the drywall. As you might expect, this resulted in some messed up drywall when the panel was removed. It is mostly surface damage and I believe it can be saved.

I just finished making an exercise room and neither my wife nor I have the stomach for another big project. I'm looking for someone to come in and help us out, possibly right through the painting of the walls. There are two rooms affected. I've included some sample shots below.
    To be honset you may be better off ripping it down and starting over. I did drywall for a few summers and you have alot of sanding, if you rip the paper you will have to fill in all the areas, sand,more mud, sand and possibly a 3rd coat. And after all that you won't know how good of a job was done untill the paint goes on. Without seeing it in person keep the option open of ripping down and just doing new. You may have a better final product.. FYI

I also agree about contractors, My wife and i are looking into doing some major outside remoldeling. We are going to replace 10 windows, new vinyl siding, a lot of trim (all of the fascia) roofing, gutters, shutters and I cannot find anyone to call me back.
    They either don't show up or they come over and I never hear from them again. I would even sub some of it out, but i can't find anyone to even get an estimate.

I just discovered the Mike Holmes shows on HGTV.

His show "Holmes Inspection" inspects and corrects major problems missed by the home inspector hired by home buyers.

His other show just fixes the crappy jobs done by the "used to sell cars now I'm a contractor" guys.

Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by muchgooder View Post
    Fisher, I recommend paying to have it done professionally. I'm all for being a weekend warrior but when it comes to drywall finishing you often don't realize that you did it poorly until months later. I just built an exercise room and I did all of the drywall myself. The time it takes to get everything right if you're not used to doing it just isn't worth it.

A friend of mine gave me the name and number of a guy that he says is a drywall wiz. I'll let you know how it works out.

How did it work out? I have some drywalling i'd like to get done...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

I've only drywalled once. The only thing I remember is "measure twice, cut once." That was about 20 years ago.

Does anyone know if that still applies? If so, I'm willing to give it a shot. But, it must be for the right price, and on my terms. Cash up front.

PS Regarding the exercise room, watch out for the ceiling height.

Thread Information