Thread: What is welfare, and how much can you make?

What is welfare, and how much can you make?

Here is a question. I am not looking to move to Buffalo to retire on welfare.

With all this talk about welfare I am curious, what the benefits are, how much you can make and how hard it is to get started?

I have heard people say that Social Services passes out freebies like mints.

One guy said that when he applied for HEAP he was automatically given applications for Section 8 and food stamps too.

There is no shame anymore.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

I also heard that the moon was made of cheese, Santa Claus comes through the chimney, and (this is my favorite) that there was a magic hand hidden in the cake that would reach out and grab me if I tried to take a piece before dessert time.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Um, touche'... I guess?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1

One guy said that when he applied for HEAP he was automatically given applications for Section 8 and food stamps too.

Just because a person applied for a benefit or received an application for other benefits does not mean that they are eligible for benefits. They hand out applications because they are required to by NYS Social Service law. Also, not everyone that gets an application actually applies for benefits. Just so you know Section 8 has a 2 to 4 year waiting list any way and there is less of a wait for emergency situation but it still a considerable wait.

If any one wants info on social services go to this site:

http://www.erie.gov/depts/socialservices/

Here is the food stamp income levels:

http://www.erie.gov/depts/socialserv...ligibility.asp

A single person with $0 income gets $155.00. A two family household with $0 income gets $284.00. A person or family that has any income gets less depending on the amount.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Also as a reminder, they don't add up the payroll by Just 4 weeks, They always Use (Payroll X's 4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by 4music
    Just because a person applied for a benefit or received an application for other benefits does not mean that they are eligible for benefits. They hand out applications because they are required to by NYS Social Service law. Also, not everyone that gets an application actually applies for benefits. Just so you know Section 8 has a 2 to 4 year waiting list any way and there is less of a wait for emergency situation but it still a considerable wait.

If any one wants info on social services go to this site:

http://www.erie.gov/depts/socialservices/

Here is the food stamp income levels:

http://www.erie.gov/depts/socialserv...ligibility.asp

A single person with $0 income gets $155.00. A two family household with $0 income gets $284.00. A person or family that has any income gets less depending on the amount.
    Is that $155 a week or a month for a single dude?

Quote Originally Posted by seattletobuffalo
    Is that $155 a week or a month for a single dude?
    A month.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

I should clarify that the $155.00/month is the Food Stamp benefit level for a person receiving Non Public Assistance food stamps. That means that person receives just food stamps no cash.

For someone receiving Temporary Assistance, meaning cash, Medicaid and Food Stamps, I am not sure but I believe the cash benefit is under $400.00/month for a single person and less than $155.00/month in food stamps. They also get Medicaid while receiving Temporary Assistance.

This is not a whole lot of money.

Bear in mind that the Temporary Assistance program has employment requirements that have to be followed as well as other requirements too many to list here. In fact the Food Stamp program and Medicaid program all have there own requirements for eligibility. Not everyone who applies is eligible or remains eligible for the entire certification period.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1

Why?

Because if they don't keep passing it out they don't get to keep thier jobs. No hand outs = no jobs so they are going to do thier best to help each department out to get more clients.

Thread Information