Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY State Trooper killed on Youngman

NY State Trooper killed on Youngman

Trooper killed while issuing summons on Youngmann

A 14-year veteran of the New York State Police who was issuing a speeding ticket on the Youngmann Highway was struck and killed by a passing motorist in a pickup truck this morning, officials announced.

Trooper Kevin P. Dobson died in Kenmore Mercy Hospital at 8:10 a.m., about 40 minutes after the accident that occurred shortly before 7:30 a.m., authorities said.

The 43-year-old Dobson, working out of the Clarence barracks, was conducting a vehicle and traffic stop on the eastbound Youngmann, just east of Colvin Boulevard.

State Police officials said they believe Dobson had just given a ticket to a motorist, for going 72 mph in a 55 mph zone, when he was struck by the pickup truck that had just entered the eastbound Youngmann from Colvin Boulevard.

The pickup driver, identified only as a 71-year-old man, stopped after his vehicle struck Dobson and immediately returned to the scene.

"I can tell you he's been cooperative," Deputy State Police Superintendent Thomas Fazio told an afternoon news conference in Clarence Town Hall. "He came back to the scene. I'm sure he's not feeling well about the situation. It's an unfortunate accident."

State Police are painstakingly continuing to investigate every facet of the fatality, and they're asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call them at 759-6831.

"There is no arrest," Fazio said. "Everything is under investigation at this point. No determination will be made [on possible charges] until all the facts are available."

Once the investigation is completed, State Police plan to discuss any possible charges with Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

Investigators plan to look at any possible cause, including cell-phone use, driver distraction, mechanical problems and even the early-morning sun.

"All those factors will be considered," Fazio said during the Saturday news conference. "They're interviewing the driver now."

State Police colleagues and friends of Dobson's had to control their emotions as they talked about the trooper, a native of Buffalo's Lovejoy area.

"Kevin had a twinkle in his eye, a smile on his face," Capt. Steven A. Nigrelli said. "He had an innate inability to make you laugh."

Part of it was the smile. Part of it was the stories he told. Part of it was the twinkle in his eye. And part of it was "Dobber's" habit of giving everyone else a nickname. Usually, a nickname created by adding an "o" to a buddy's name.

As in Nigrelli's quick nickname of Steve-o.

Nigrelli cited what he called the irony of fellow troopers' grief over the loss of the fun-loving Dobson.

"Someone who brought so much cheer and laughter to us has made us cry so hard today," Nigrelli said.

State Police officials also cited the tragic irony of Dobson's expected involvement in an upcoming summer traffic initiative designed to enforce the state's new "Move Over Act."

The new law, which took effect Jan. 1, requires drivers to change lanes and slow down, whenever possible, when they see a police car or any emergency vehicle at the side of the road, often with a stopped vehicle.

The Ambrose-Searles "Move Over Act" is named after State Trooper Robert W. Ambrose and Onondaga County Sheriff's Deputy Glenn M. Searles. Both were killed while their patrol vehicles were stopped on the side of the road.

State Police in Western New York already have issued more than 70 tickets under the new law. And on Route 400 this past week, one trooper monitored the actions of passing drivers when other vehicles were pulled over by police.

One trooper alone issued three summonses in 15 minutes to people who didn't move over, as required, Nigrelli said.

"We now have a local face, Dobber's face, when we go to enforce this law," Nigrelli said.

State Police Major Christopher L. Cummings also hopes the public uses the Dobson tragedy to heed the new law.

"We ask the public to think of this the next time they see a car stopped [by police on the side of the road]," Cummings said.

It is not clear, though, whether the pickup truck driver will be charged under the new law, as he was entering the highway from a single-lane entrance ramp.

During Saturday's news conference, State Police officials were quick to praise the efforts of other police officers and members of the public who rushed to Dobson's side immediately after the accident. That included a Town of Tonawanda police officer who attempted to resuscitate Dobson at the scene.

"We offer our gratitude to all those who rendered first aid to Trooper Dobson and attempted to save his life," Fazio said.

Troopers and fellow law-enforcement officers rushed to Kenmore Mercy Hospital to comfort Dobson's family, including his father, Richard, retired from the Erie County Sheriff's Department. Other survivors include Dobson's girlfriend, three children and her child.

The patch on the shoulder signifying an officer's own police department didn't matter on this day of shared grief.

"It's a belief that we'll get through this together," Nigrelli said.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo issued a statement this afternoon mourning the loss of the 14-year State Police veteran.

"Trooper Kevin Dobson ... put his life at risk every day to protect the people of our state, and on behalf of all New Yorkers, I send my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues at the State Police," Cuomo stated.

The governor also ordered flags on all state office buildings to be flown at half-staff in honor of Trooper Dobson.

The accident led to a massive backup of traffic on the eastbound Youngmann. Troopers later forced eastbound vehicles to exit at Colvin Boulevard, as they continued to investigate the fatal crash.

Traffic was moving normally by early Saturday afternoon.
    What a shame, this is awful. Why was this driver even in that lane? What the hell is wrong with him? People don't pay attention and it kills... damn shame.

RIP Trooper Dobson and thank you to all Law Enforcement Officers who put their lives on the line every day to keep us all safe.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

So no one has anything to say about this horrible tragedy? Incredible. I guess jail time for a cop who got in a brawl is more important than this news.

Goes to show you the lack of respect that most people have for LEOs who would lay down their lives for them. Dispicable.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

People are hit by and die from being hit by cars everyday. Its sad but true and tragic to those who are effected by it. Doesn't have anything to do with respect for LEO, its a sad story what kind of commentary were you hoping for?

Unless someone can find some reason that liberals or conservatives are to blame, it isn't newsworthy enough for this venue.

b.b.

Isn't the person who was speeding just as responsible?

If you set fire to a building and a firefighter dies on the way to the fire, you are responsible for his or her death.

If you participate in a robbery and someone dies in the course of it, you are responsible for their death.

Think about that the next time you put the petal to the metal.

This is why the state passed the move over law. Unfortunately people don't care. Law has been around since January and people still will not move over for LEO. Saw several instances on my recent trip to Virginia.

FYI, Virginia has the same law, as do Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, etc.

I always did it out of courtesy anyway.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
    Why was this driver even in that lane? What the hell is wrong with him? People don't pay attention and it kills... damn shame.
    What lane did you want him in? It was a 1 lane ramp.
    It was in the article you posted.

It is so hard to comment in light of the tragic circumstances for everyone involved. I think that in general, tickets are given to maintain a revenue stream. I think the speed limit on the Youngman should be 65mph. We have these modern cars with wonderful capabilities in terms of handling and braking. Sixty five is perfectly safe on that highway. I have not been pulled over much, but I have thought that the officer was acting dangerously; so much so that I told the officer he was making me nervous and to please be more careful. I do move over way in advance if I see an officer pulling someone over. I think this case may not be a violation of the "Move Over" law, because I don't think the driver ever saw the officer; because of the fact that he was merging or because of the sun.

What a shame, this is awful. Why was this driver even in that lane? What the hell is wrong with him?
    It was a single lane ramp.

So no one has anything to say about this horrible tragedy? Incredible. I guess jail time for a cop who got in a brawl is more important than this news.

Goes to show you the lack of respect that most people have for LEOs who would lay down their lives for them. Dispicable.
    What would you like us to say?

About 20 yrs ago my friends Mom was rear ended on the youngmann..She got out to assess the damage and was hit by another car and killed.

About 10-11 yrs ago a friend of mine who worked at P&R bakery was crossing the street(Brighton and Eggert) to catch a bus (and carrying her DD's bday cake)was hit by a car and killed.

4 yrs ago my hubby was riding his bike and a woman ran a stop sign,was yapping on her cell phone and hit him so hard he flew over the hood of her truck..He never sued because he said she sat with him until the police came...and apologized profusely.

My son was hit by a car on NFB by an 87 yr old man..he only had a few scratches thankfully.

People need to realize that vehicles are deadly weapons.I think it should be mandatory that you must take another road test when renewing your license.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

It has been my practice for many years to signal and move to the left lane when I see a LEO doing his duty. I did not need a law to know it is the smart thing to do. Moving over in a single lane is possible too.

Perhaps it needs to be SOP that LEO's use the right door on their vehicle and the car being pulled over's car too. Is that even possible?

All that being said I must also say, I feel sad for the lose of life in any situation. This is one more sad event in our "own neighborhood."
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

yes,frank...the passenger door can be used...

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J View Post
    People need to realize that vehicles are deadly weapons.I think it should be mandatory that you must take another road test when renewing your license.
    Michele, I am SO SO sorry for all the tragedies you've suffered. Agree on taking tests especially for those over 50. I remember way back in the 60's & I was in FL, I took my grandmothers car to go & visit her in the hospital. I got to town(about a mile from her home), stopped for the red light and a few seconds later a lady in a HUGE car (Chrysler I think, Gram had a little Ford) slammed into the back & knocked me across the intersection where I hit another car. I felt ok & of course the cop said I stopped too quick in front of her but "witnesses" said I was sitting waiting for the light. (thank you) The lady said "I am so sorry but I was late for my bridge game."
    So after about a half hour Grams car was towed (back end was kissing the front), I called my step dad & he took me over to see Gram. (didn't mention the accident).While I was there, my neck started to stiffen and WOW. Anyway I got home & in about a month I got a check for &700.00.
    She had her car fixed & all was forgotten. Cars way back then were built a lot stronger & had a full frame where today they don't.

Forgot to mention this lady was 89 years old!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information