Thread: When vets harm your pet.

Smile When vets harm your pet.

My cat got parasites on his gums, took him to his 1st vet. Vet said no such thing as parasite on gums, it was pigmentation. It was not, I could move them from one side to the other with oral gel. It took me 3 years to figure out they were probably flukes, but it had never been heard of. I had searched everywhere.
    Had my pet on herbal remedy, he was going poo & pee alot. Bladder was full again when we saw vet. Vet said bladder full, I told her why. She ...gave him Panacur. Penacur has Fendbendazole which can be poorly absorbed in the intestinal tract, I found out just now.
    By the time we got home he immediately started vomiting, got a temperature & became obstructed. He went from happy & playful to howling & hiding with a temperature within a few hours.
    He almost died. I had to rush him to a hospital. They made me surrender him to HEART because I didn't have enough money. I love him. He only knows & loves me. They don't even believe the pimentation they see are pararsites.
    Now, in less than 24 hours he almost died, & I can never see him again, and they still haven't done a culture on his gums.
    I want my baby back. It was the Panacur that made him deathly ill. % years old , never sick one day in life. I am beside myself in fear for my little baby. I am not even allowed to call the vet or be near him now. They wo'nt let me explain all I've gone through to keep him away from being misdiagnosed by a vet. My worst fear has come true. I called the vet & she said I was rude, I thought I knew everything, & that I'd never get my cat back. She had no empathy & took no blame. Even thought she had said his temperature was perfect but his bladder was full. Of course it was, he was on parasite remover & was doing alot of moving his bowels. What she gave him obstructed him.
    Help us!

Wow, Star I sure hope someone can give you some good advice and quickly! My 2 cats are my life and I cannot imagine anything like this happening to them. I just can't believe they would actually MAKE you surrender him. Maybe someone else knows something you can do. I hope there's answers and soon. Please keep us updated would you? So sorry! There used to be a vet on this board but haven't seen him for awhile. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    My cat got parasites on his gums, took him to his 1st vet. Vet said no such thing as parasite on gums, it was pigmentation. It was not, I could move them from one side to the other with oral gel. It took me 3 years to figure out they were probably flukes, but it had never been heard of. I had searched everywhere.
    Had my pet on herbal remedy, he was going poo & pee alot. Bladder was full again when we saw vet. Vet said bladder full, I told her why. She ...gave him Panacur. Penacur has Fendbendazole which can be poorly absorbed in the intestinal tract, I found out just now.
    By the time we got home he immediately started vomiting, got a temperature & became obstructed. He went from happy & playful to howling & hiding with a temperature within a few hours.
    He almost died. I had to rush him to a hospital. They made me surrender him to HEART because I didn't have enough money. I love him. He only knows & loves me. They don't even believe the pimentation they see are pararsites.
    Now, in less than 24 hours he almost died, & I can never see him again, and they still haven't done a culture on his gums.
    I want my baby back. It was the Panacur that made him deathly ill. % years old , never sick one day in life. I am beside myself in fear for my little baby. I am not even allowed to call the vet or be near him now. They wo'nt let me explain all I've gone through to keep him away from being misdiagnosed by a vet. My worst fear has come true. I called the vet & she said I was rude, I thought I knew everything, & that I'd never get my cat back. She had no empathy & took no blame. Even thought she had said his temperature was perfect but his bladder was full. Of course it was, he was on parasite remover & was doing alot of moving his bowels. What she gave him obstructed him.
    Help us!

Star,

I am very sorry to hear about your pet. It sounds like there were a few things going on. Firstly flukes are internal parasites found mostly in the gulf coast region. I have never diagnosed a case here in NY, I have colleagues that have but the patient was from the deep South. . Tapeworms are far more common but usually are near the anus not the mouth. Rarely they can form a foreign body if the worm burden is high. Panacur is a very good broad-spectrum parasiticide commonly used. I don't know quite what to make about the bladder, did the vet say your pet was obstructed?

Unfortunately when you have to surrender a pet, they become property of the rescue as a term and condition for rendering medical care at no cost to you. Although regrettable, that decision ensures your pet receives the attention necessary. Sometimes it is the best thing for the patient.

Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim, nice to hear from you.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post
    Dr. Jim, nice to hear from you.
    Thank you and all the best to you and your baby.

Thread Information