Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canisius Athletic Field Project on Clinton Street

Canisius Athletic Field Project on Clinton Street

Don Grasso, David Monolopolus and I have commenced a proceeding against the Town of West Seneca and Canisius High School.

The Town issued a negative declaration under SEQRA when, we contend, that they should have completed an full Environmental Impact Statement over the effects and potential effects that the athletic field Canisius is intending to place on land at 2448-2869 Clinton Street in West Seneca would have. Particularly since Canisius states in their SEQRA submission severe environmental effects on ground water, surface water runoff, erosion and other long-term changes when the parcel borders on a federal wetland and is located in large part in a 100 year flood-plain (see paragraph 71 of the petition for more details).

After they issued a negative declaration the Town then issued a build permit for Canisius to commence this project. It is our position that the property is zoned residential and an athletic facility is not permitted there unless they obtain a use variance or have the property re-zoned. In fact Mr. Czuprynski represented to the public that the zoning for this type of use would be C-1, he then backed off and said that this is an accessory use to a school. However according to the West Seneca Town Code a use can only be an accessory use to a permitted principal use on the same parcel. Canisius High School is located in the City of Buffalo.

Also what is interesting is that Canisius had to apply to the State for a variance relative to the placement of a fire hydrant. In that application Canisius represented to the State that the intended use was for business and storage not educational. More than likely if they said it was for educational use they would not have been granted the variance or at least on the terms they did receive it. Furthermore they claimed that to comply with the requirement for the fire hydrants would cause economic hardship.

The Verified Petition is available at http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-...d-Petition.pdf (it approximately 10 MB).

The Order to Show Cause is available at http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-WS-OSC.pdf
    Last edited by dtwarren; August 11th, 2007 at 07:56 AM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

“We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Good luck Mr. Warren. That project, if it comes to fruition, will be the death of the Gardenville section of West Seneca - one of the last, if not THE last, natural areas in the town.

Canisius is a private school in the CITY of Buffalo. If they want to build athletic fields they should knock down some of the blighted houses in the CITY - or build on one of the hypodermic needle filled vacant lots. Do something to boost the tax revenue of the CITY.

It will be interesting to see what comes of your efforts, but if anyone can pull it off, it's you.

Canisus "Playground"

I understand that the West Seneca Planning Board has ruled last week that the Canisus project can go ahead.

Anybody know if that is true?

If it is, once again the people of this town are drowned out by the self-servicing politicians.

Are there any other options in the city and closer to Canisus HS?

Maybe it's just a coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Don Grasso, David Monolopolus and I have commenced a proceeding against the Town of West Seneca and Canisius High School.
    This is the same Don Grasso that sold the town around $25,000 of excercise equipment for the gym in the Senior Center about a year and a half ago ?

Guess I'm playing devils advocate, but jeez, for a guy who doesn't like the way the town does business, he had no problem doing business with the town when it benefitted him.

And, the town hired his friend as the instructor of the gym in the Senior Center.

But hey, who am I to pass judgement
    Last edited by MR E S 1; August 16th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
    The Truth Shall Set You Free........Aunt Esther

Quote Originally Posted by Slimguy
    I understand that the West Seneca Planning Board has ruled last week that the Canisus project can go ahead.

Anybody know if that is true?

If it is, once again the people of this town are drowned out by the self-servicing politicians.

The West Seneca Zoning Board of Appeals ruled last week that the building permit was properly issued. It is that determination that is being challenged in this proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Are there any other options in the city and closer to Canisus HS?
    Canisius already has a field right next its school in the city. There are also other options for it within the City with the number of catholic school closings there will be more than enough property for its use.

Quote Originally Posted by MR E S 1
    This is the same Don Grasso that sold the town around $25,000 of excercise equipment for the gym in the Senior Center about a year and a half ago ?

Guess I'm playing devils advocate, but jeez, for a guy who doesn't like the way the town does business, he had no problem doing business with the town when it benefitted him.

And, the town hired his friend as the instructor of the gym in the Senior Center.

I do not know if it is the one and the same. I do not see how you are playing devil's advocate, one has to do with the other how?

Silence speaks volumes....

Quote Originally Posted by MR E S 1

It's the same Don Grasso.

Don't be coy.

He works with gym equipment co. on Hertel Ave.

He's Tina's friend.

Maybe he can sell Canisius some of the athletic equipment they'll be storing there and still make a profit from this project.
    Last edited by MR E S 1; August 16th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.

I am not being coy, I truly do not know. However, you apparently did before you even asked the question.

Getting back on topic how does your statement of the sale of gym equipment, etc. have to do with the complaints over the Town's handling of this matter?

Graditude Lacking

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Getting back on topic how does your statement of the sale of gym equipment, etc. have to do with the complaints over the Town's handling of this matter?
    The town board considered since he was a town resident to give him a $25,000 sale.

It wasn't just Bove who agreed to award him the contract and give his friend a job.

In return he pees in their face by being in the forefront of this athletic field issue.

Nice way of saying thanks.

There is a fair portion of people in town who aren't politically motivated, that consider the "concerned citizens" as nothing more than obstructionists and a bunch of self righteous "we know better than anyone else" what's best for West Seneca arrogants.

It's more than coincidental how their "causes" coincide with projects that come within proximity of their homes.

The proverbial " build it anywhere else but by me" mentality has never been more evident than it is with this group.

Are you saying that this sale was illegal and therefore he should not be heard to complain about the Town's illegal conduct, or are you saying that whoever benefits in any way from town business should not complain how the town conducts its business?

Flood Plains, can or can't be built on? Or does it all depend on how much money you wave?

Private city school should keep it's school's activities at the grounds the school is located on.

Buffalo creek will now get more chemicals leeched into it from this being on a flood plain?

DON'T MESS WITH MY STEELHEAD FISHING!!!!!!

What's wrong with putting it in the Seneca Mall site?

Why does every piece of greenspace need to be developed in West Seneca?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information