Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Canisius Athletic Field Project on Clinton Street

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    Alright, somebody please tell me who the poor, unfortunate soul is who lives in the house that is almost literally sitting on top of the scoreboard?!

I wouldn't be surprised if that guy goes postal on the Town Board for letting that one through.
    I didn't want to scan through all the posts but man, I feel bad for that guy. Imagine if he had a strange work schedule and during the games was the only time he could sleep. Good luck.

That house is worthless now, who would buy that house? The noise and problems associated with high school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1
    Because it puts more money in Clark's pocket!

Pyramid developers owns the property (and Paul Clark) so they no doubt would want more money for the site given it's location. I can't figure out why they'd want a field so far from the school itself.
    The strong rumor was Canisius was going to move from the city to West Seneca and build a suburban campus. They want to go from a city image to "Prep, Suburban Campus" similar to Gilmour Academy in Cleveland, OH.

After the rumors were getting strong, the buffalo news contacted the new principal and questioned him. The article said they are now purchasing a abandoned buildings near the current campus.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    The Order and Judgment dismissing the petition was filed on October 23, 2007 and our notice of appeal was filed on October 25, 2007. We made a motion in the Appellate Division for an order consolidating the appeals, summary reversal or alternatively a preliminary injunction pending appeal. Canisius opposed this motion and the Town did not file or serve any papers in opposition. The motion is fully submitted and we are awaiting a decision.
    The Appellate Division granted the motion to consolidate the appeals and denied the motion for a summary reversal or a preliminary injunction.

The next step is to settle the record on appeal and then perfect it so that it will be heard and decided before spring.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I attended the public hearing at the ECIDA this morning to oppose this loan application. Dave Monolopolus also attended. We were the only speakers and both of us spoke against the granting of this loan. My written comments are available at http://takebackny.speakupwny.com/WS-SEQRA-ECIDA.pdf (2.5 mb).
    http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...9/daily15.html

"The project, along with a new athletic field complex in West Seneca, are part of a $25 million capital improvement program by Canisius. The two developments will be reviewed Dec. 10 by the Erie County Industrial Development Agency, which is considering an inducement package for the projects. "
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by wnyfuture
    The strong rumor was Canisius was going to move from the city to West Seneca and build a suburban campus. They want to go from a city image to "Prep, Suburban Campus" similar to Gilmour Academy in Cleveland, OH.

After the rumors were getting strong, the buffalo news contacted the new principal and questioned him. The article said they are now purchasing a abandoned buildings near the current campus.
    I think it would be good for WS to potentially have a prep school. Nichols is beautiful, and certainly an asset to the city. The problem is the property is private, and you should not legally disable development of private property because you like it's "quaintness", and "ruralness". All of WNY was at one time rural.

I respect your post here but you appear to be shilling for someone Niagara.

Quote Originally Posted by Niagara
    I think it would be good for WS to potentially have a prep school. Nichols is beautiful, and certainly an asset to the city. The problem is the property is private, and you should not legally disable development of private property because you like it's "quaintness", and "ruralness". All of WNY was at one time rural.
    They are not building a school, they are building an athletic field.

They are not building a school, they are building an athletic field.
    I understand that, but they are potentially building a school. The rest of the post is valid in that private property, is not public property. If everyone would perfer it to remain 'virgin'. then the government should buy it and make it so. Otherwise, some here expect it to remain that way on someone elses dime.

The idea that they might build a school in WS makes some sense. In the city they are landlocked. Millard Filmore Hospital has a city and suburban branch. The city one will probably close.
    Last edited by Niagara; December 2nd, 2007 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer
    I respect your post here but you appear to be shilling for someone Niagara.
    There are alot of developments which I do not agree with. I do not like Marrano's 'patio homes' and the lack of zoning restrictions on eyesores like billboards, however, this development seems the lesser of some evils. And no, I know no one at CHS.

I understand that, but they are potentially building a school. The rest of the post is valid in that private property, is not public property. If everyone would perfer it to remain 'virgin'. then the government should buy it and make it so. Otherwise, some here expect it to remain that way on someone elses dime.
    Accurate, in part, this land is zoned residential and an athletic field is permitted in a commercial, indistrial or mixed use zones only. No one is saying it must remain "virgin", but its use must be consistent with its zoning.

Accurate, in part, this land is zoned residential and an athletic field is permitted in a commercial, indistrial or mixed use zones only. No one is saying it must remain "virgin", but its use must be consistent with its zoning.
    Again, I would prefer it to a subdivision of Marrano 'patio homes'. Clinton has numerous businesses along it now. Unfortunately, or fortunately, zoning concepts are concepts, subject to changing developments. I would support an athletic field for CHS. It is an upscale boys prep school for GS.

Again, I would prefer it to a subdivision of Marrano 'patio homes'. Clinton has numerous businesses along it now. Unfortunately, or fortunately, zoning concepts are concepts, subject to changing developments. I would support an athletic field for CHS. It is an upscale boys prep school for GS.
    Zoning is not a concept it is a law that must be followed until changed by the legislative body that enacted it.

Zoning is not a concept it is a law that must be followed until changed by the legislative body that enacted it.
    And.....

And.....
    . . . the saga continues.

I don't know the particulars behind the Canisius Field. What bothers me, since it looks like Canisius had the upper hand is that there was not some working with them on the towns part for Canisius to give the town something in return. All it appears to be now is a sports field(s), why not negotiate that the town or public schools use the fields for there sports programs. Why not add a park, a playground or a walking trail, something town residents could use, be worked into an agreement. Is there anything like that yet to come ? What else could Canisius put there, lights for the present field, ball diamonds, an ice rink ? I get the impression that it's all Canisus only to use exclusively by the looks of things with that big gate across the entrance near Clinton St. I understand people there being suspect given the issues about the present supervisor and his plans for the ice rink over there a few years back. I feel for the surrounding people living near there and on the backside of the creek but things change and it's not always pleasant for everyone.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information