Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canisius Athletic Field Project on Clinton Street

Where is this, exactly? Is it the old strawberry farm?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why is canisius not doing this in the closer to the school?

I do not know why they are not doing this closer to their school.

I also noticed that yesterday there was a legal notice in the Buffalo News that the ECIDA will be holding a public hearing on October 12, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. at 275 Oak St., for the issuance of a $25,000,000.00 bond for Canisius High School for this project and renovations at its school in the city.

How does this project relate to economic development?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It doesn't have to relate. Look how they throw discounts to thier "connected" friends to begin with.

Plus the ECIDA gets to skim off the amount of the project don't they? They have to keep thier jobs so they will hand out incentives all they can.

So...everyone who is a NIMBY in the city is a myopic obstructionist who doesn't know what's good for him. Someone wanna explain to me why it's OK to be the same kind of person in West Seneca?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Literally Not In MyBack Yard

I mean there a bunch of white kids (90%) from the City.
    "Karate men bleed from the inside" -Billy Ray Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    So...everyone who is a NIMBY in the city is a myopic obstructionist who doesn't know what's good for him. Someone wanna explain to me why it's OK to be the same kind of person in West Seneca?

I am not sure what you are stating here?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Questions

I’m not exactly sure I get this thread. I mean I know you don’t want the development to occur but am unsure as to why. Could you answer a few questions.

1) What kind of development is happening? Please describe the construction. I know it’s a sports field, will it have bleachers, etc.

2) What adverse problems will occur to the flood plain, which cannot be mitigated through construction? Bowl design similar to Delaware Park.

3) Is it the removal of green space that is at the center of this debate or something else?

To answer your question CSense, I believe the core issue is the loss of green space. The Gardenville area of West Seneca is one of the oldest in the town and has always been semi-rural (at least as far as first ring suburbs go). It has some historical buildings, it's just kind of quaint and, for lack of a better word, old.

People are trying desperately to try and keep one tiny slice of West Seneca in it's original state - probably not too much to ask when there is almost no green space left in the town.

Also, this sports facility is going to be situated very close to residences. The lights, noise and traffic are obviously going to be a problem for the people that live there and those who travel Clinton Street. It's a narrow road that already sees extensive backups during rush hour - this behemoth is only going to add to that mess.

The flooding issue, and whether construction can alleviate the potential for flooding, I can't speak on with any authority, but I can say the area is very prone to floods and Canisius's facility is going to back right up to the Buffalo Creek. Ask any resident who has a home bordering Buffalo Creek how they like it when it floods - guaranteed they will use words that can't be typed into this public forum. If this project comes to fruition, and flooding does occur, it will be mighty interesting to see how Canisius handles it. Perhaps the Old Boy Network can empty their wallets for the common good of the old alma mater.

Thank you for giving some info on the project. I do know where that parcel of land is, my mother and I use to pick strawberries there and I used to run Cross-Country via some back trails with a friend.

Ironically, I just read the latest Business First which has the project on its front cover. It did mention that a group was trying to stop the development but that they (Canisius) were still going ahead with some financing via the ECIDA. Looks like the deal maybe done?

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    I have submitted to Justice Devlin a proposed order to show cause and supporting affidavit. I am seeking to hold the Town and Canisius in contempt of court, a default judgment against them, to disqualify the law firm of Harris Beach from representing Canisius in this matter because they have an interest in a key witness (HB Cornerstone Partners) and the issuance of subpoenas to the firms that did work on the planning and SEQRA submission for Canisius. A copy of the proposed order to show cause that was submitted to Justice Devlin is available at http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-...pt-Default.pdf and a copy of the affidavit filed in the Erie County Clerk’s Office and submitted in support of the motion is available at: http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-...pt-Default.pdf (it is about 4 MB).
    Judge Devlin denied and dismissed the Petition today without issuing a written decision setting forth her reasoning. We will be appealing to the Appellate Division, Fourth Department and asking them for a preliminary injunction pending the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    I do not know why they are not doing this closer to their school.

I also noticed that yesterday there was a legal notice in the Buffalo News that the ECIDA will be holding a public hearing on October 12, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. at 275 Oak St., for the issuance of a $25,000,000.00 bond for Canisius High School for this project and renovations at its school in the city.

How does this project relate to economic development?

I attended the public hearing at the ECIDA this morning to oppose this loan application. Dave Monolopolus also attended. We were the only speakers and both of us spoke against the granting of this loan. My written comments are available at http://takebackny.speakupwny.com/WS-SEQRA-ECIDA.pdf (2.5 mb).

We are still waiting for the signed order and judgment in our action so that we may appeal. As soon as we receive that we will file our appeal and seek temporary relief pending its hearing and determination.

Seems these people are moving right along with construction. They have the bleachers, goal posts and what looks like a concession stand already up.

Is there any possibility in the world that the project can be stopped at this point? Looks like more than a go to me right now. Sad but true.

Doesnt seem to make sense. Timon and Canisius are playing at All High right now. It is a gorgeous facility, the city catholic schools should make a deal to play their games there permanently.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

If we are ultimately successful they will have to remove it and they will not be able to use it as they intend. They are proceeding at their own risk because no rights vest in an invalidly issued building permit.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information