Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Flipping!

Land Flipping!

Would any of you be surprised if you found out that land flipping was happening in the sleepy little town of Hamburg? I would. This little town is too tiny to be engaged in Buffalo style flipping. However, just because we would be surprised doesn't mean that it can't happen. Therefore, an investigation is warranted. Who wants to join?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueEagle
    Would any of you be surprised if you found out that land flipping was happening in the sleepy little town of Hamburg? I would. This little town is too tiny to be engaged in Buffalo style flipping. However, just because we would be surprised doesn't mean that it can't happen. Therefore, an investigation is warranted. Who wants to join?
    This is the first I've heard of land flipping in Hamburg. Is it safe to assume you have concrete evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by j.camareri
    This is the first I've heard of land flipping in Hamburg. Is it safe to assume you have concrete evidence?
    Not yet. I think the number of property's turned over to a certain developer from the town merits investigation.

Not yet. I think the number of property's turned over to a certain developer from the town merits investigation.
    Is this the same developer that owns the plaza where the Hamburg Democratic Party houses its headquarters? Also, can anyone confirm--are they getting their HQ rent-free? I had heard it, but it's not substantiated. If it is rent-free, well... that's pretty interesting, too. I mean, at one point I seriously thought Hamburg was going to be renamed Benderson Falls.

Is this the same developer that owns the plaza where the Hamburg Democratic Party houses its headquarters? Also, can anyone confirm--are they getting their HQ rent-free? I had heard it, but it's not substantiated. If it is rent-free, well... that's pretty interesting, too. I mean, at one point I seriously thought Hamburg was going to be renamed Benderson Falls.
    If they were getting their rent free, this would be how it works:

Step 1. Dem committee pays landlord rent.

Step 2. Landlord "reinvests" the money by donating the sum back to Dem committee.

No one is saying this is what's happening, only this is a scenario that could and would probably happen of the committee is getting free rent.

If they were getting their rent free, this would be how it works:

Step 1. Dem committee pays landlord rent.

Step 2. Landlord "reinvests" the money by donating the sum back to Dem committee.

No one is saying this is what's happening, only this is a scenario that could and would probably happen of the committee is getting free rent.
    Well I don't know if it's happening either... but if that's a possibility, I have seen Benderson's name on the financial filings of some of the Democrats (obviously for sums over $100 or it wouldn't be listed). Verrrrry interesting indeed.

Well I don't know if it's happening either... but if that's a possibility, I have seen Benderson's name on the financial filings of some of the Democrats (obviously for sums over $100 or it wouldn't be listed). Verrrrry interesting indeed.
    Well look into the financials and tell us what you find.

Well look into the financials and tell us what you find.
    Upon a cursory glance, I found the following:

As of January this year, the Town of Hamburg Endorsed Candidates Fund (what's up with that name by the way? It's the Hamburg Democratic Committee) has been paying Randall Benderson $200 a month for their space. That seems DIRT cheap to me. I can't think any other tenant there gets rent for so little. Maybe in tenement housing in a bad neighborhood, but certainly not in Benderson office space.

The donations I saw that span over the course of a year or so from Benderson to the Dems: Tom Quatroche received $500; the Hamburg Democratic Committee received two separate donations, one in the amount of $125 and the other in the amount of $375.

If someone wants to double check, be my guest... perhaps someone else can unearth more. But we can surmise that there's definitely a relationship between the Dems and the Benderson Corporation. Perhaps this accounts for the lack of pressure when trying to fill up vacant storefronts? I can't see Tom Best or Kevin Smardz getting office space for so little, that's for sure!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There are a lot of connections from developers and candidates.

Here is one example that arrived today...

Please Join

Gary Hill, Bruce Buyers & Members of the Construction and Contracting Industry

for a breakfast with Paul Clark

Aug 28 Donations are $250 - $1000

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    There are a lot of connections from developers and candidates.

Here is one example that arrived today...

Please Join

Gary Hill, Bruce Buyers & Members of the Construction and Contracting Industry

for a breakfast with Paul Clark

Aug 28 Donations are $250 - $1000
    The whole theme of politicians and the developers who love them does leave me with an uneasy feeling. Like we're all puppets subject to the agenda of those in power. Major developers giving large sums of money to politicians? A special interest with a specific agenda, donating money to people who can help advance said agenda... it just doesn't seem right, no matter how legal. This system is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Why?
    Were is it illegal to buy property and turn around and sell that property at a profit?
    If there are those who do not want people to transact purchases for profit those same people need to pony up and buy the property themsleves. Hold on to it, pay the taxes forever and no more flipping would occur until the estates of those people needed to be settled. Then the process would start again.

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    Why?
    Were is it illegal to buy property and turn around and sell that property at a profit?
    If there are those who do not want people to transact purchases for profit those same people need to pony up and buy the property themsleves. Hold on to it, pay the taxes forever and no more flipping would occur until the estates of those people needed to be settled. Then the process would start again.
    Keep thinking that.

Keep thinking that.
    Can't answer my question?
    Where is it illegal?

Flipping in and of itself is not illegal. I think the issue raised was whether the Town was involved or not.

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents
    Flipping in and of itself is not illegal. I think the issue raised was whether the Town was involved or not.
    That was not stated in the opening post.
    TBE was asking about investigating flipping of land.
    Then TBE mentions something about the town involvement. If town involvement with land flipping there maybe an ethical or fraud case but flipping, as you have stated, is not illegal.
    It is how you flip that maybe illegal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information