View Poll Results: What would you do if the bosses at your new job are jerks?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quit right away, especially if there is danger of them firing you.

2 15.38%
  • Stick it out and hope it improves.

9 69.23%
  • Nothing.

0 0%
  • Cower in a corner while you work on your resume.

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you just started a new job and the bosses are rude and nasty, what do you do?

Question If you just started a new job and the bosses are rude and nasty, what do you do?

I'm fretting a bit because I just started a new job (just a part time, fill in job but a job nonetheless) and the bosses have been nothing but rude and insulting to me. Now mind you, I hear that most other people who they hired for this position before me also did not last long, so it might not be me, it might be them... Who knows?

Without going into identifying details, have any of you ever been in a similar position? What do you do? It's not good to leave a job you just started I hear, but on the other hand how much abuse and discomfort should you have to put up with?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

I voted stick it out and see if things improve. Be careful how you react to the rudeness, best to be silent. Every one has a bad day or two, maybe the boss(s) had one. If the job is not one you would enjoy even if you had the best boss then leave is it does not improve fast.

How is that?
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Thanks. Shame that with jobs so hard to com by lately to end up with rude jerks.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    I'm fretting a bit because I just started a new job (just a part time, fill in job but a job nonetheless) and the bosses have been nothing but rude and insulting to me. Now mind you, I hear that most other people who they hired for this position before me also did not last long, so it might not be me, it might be them... Who knows?

Without going into identifying details, have any of you ever been in a similar position? What do you do? It's not good to leave a job you just started I hear, but on the other hand how much abuse and discomfort should you have to put up with?
    Since its part time, I would continue looking in the meantime.. Apparently they have no management skills..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

I would NEVER put up with a rude boss and never have. "You do not talk to me that way" is what I say when it happens. Sometimes you'll find you get more respect. Other times, not so much...

You did not have this option but I would have an open communication with your boss.

People should never have to work under stress like this. However, a positive workplace goes both ways. It is in the best interest of your new company for you to be a happy, and productive, employee.

I would first start out with a short but descriptive email that you are uncomfortable with the current workplace environment and request a conversation to identify your concern and move forward on the issue. Keep this for your records.

Depending on how they respond...you have lots of options but at least you have a paper trail if you will.

It's a small business and the two jerky bosses are the owners. Unfortunately I don't have any upper management to report to. The job also pays very little but I was laid off from a job in my field years back so I took this gig thinking it would give me experience in a new area.

If you don't need the job, then you just quit. But, I don't think any of us are independently wealthy, and don't need to work.
    Most of us need to work, and that's why we do it. Since it's PT, at least you can still look for another job in the mean time.
    Make a game out of it, seeing how dickish they can be every day.

It's a family owned business too. Oh, and the one boss drinks on the job. Keeps an open bottle of booze in the office.

Yeah, what did I get myself into?

Maybe working for a large company is safer because there is a bigger chain of command when things go sour. In a Mom and Pop place, whatever they say goes. And when Mommy or Daddy is the boss, you can get away with being a dick.

Oh, and the one boss drinks on the job. Keeps an open bottle of booze in the office.
    I would quit today if that is the case!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    redacted...
    Not sure what you meant by that, but I do appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    I would quit today if that is the case!
    Exactly! In a large company they would never allow a manager to get away with sipping booze on the job.

Not sure what you meant by that, but I do appreciate the advice.
    It's late, I am tired and read your response way wrong, I said something fast and had to remove it. I though you were at first calling my advice rude. I said something dumb in response to that and had to quickly redact it after I realized I read what you said wrong.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm sick to my stomach over this. I should have seen the red flags when I caught on that they couldn't keep people. I had another job last fall that was the same way, they couldn't keep people either and were too quick to fire people. The bosses there were jerks too. I ended up giving my notice. But that job was a large office with lots of people so it was easy for me to just move on. This new job is a small office and I am the only one who does the work on the days I'm there.

Hmmm... Maybe in this crappy economy the jobs that end up being easier to get are the ones with high turnover rates because the bosses and/or work are crappy.

I always wonder about those jobs you see listed in the paper over and over again... For the same position... Makes you wonder, if that job was just posted two months ago, why is the job posted again already? Translation: something is sucky and the person in that position got canned or left?

But I agree that good managers would do what they could to be polite and accommodating to new employees. I also think that a happy employee will be a better worker too. When the one boss started making belligerent and snotty comments to me last week, I was dumbfounded. I am NOT used to being treated that way, but because I was alone with him I had no other options. I couldn't snap back at him and I couldn't report him, he being an owner.

When these guys hover over me and snap at me, I try to be a big girl and just tune it out but sometimes their hovering and snapping causes me to almost make mistakes. And I DO NOT want to get canned because I make a mistake...

Crap, looks like I do have to look for another job and leave gracefully as soon as I can.

whats the pay

if they pay 50 an hour take the bull they hand out. if its just 10 or 15 then tell them where they can put their job and find something you can enjoy doing. nothing ruins your life faster then a job you don't like
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information