Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some more about ethanol

Thumbs up Some more about ethanol

See? Others are doing it... but this one I like more...

Biofuel plans top $175M
    By CYNDY COLE
    Sun Staff Reporter
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Plans by a local couple to construct an ethanol refinery outside Flagstaff have grown to include a hard alcohol distillery, beer brewery, biomass power plant and carbon-dioxide recapture station.

And it's all somewhat related to thinning the forests.

Diane and Dave Williamson, of Mogollon Brewery, are planning to build a $175 million ethanol refinery and biomass power plant either at Camp Navajo or elsewhere in Coconino County.

The plant would produce up to 59 million gallons a year of ethanol and use 338,000 gallons of water a day -- about half what the 8,000 residents of Doney Park use daily.

"The main thing we're looking to do is to help reduce our dependency on foreign oil," Diane said.

They are attempting to secure investor financing and loans for their company, Earth Friendly Fuels, by the end of this year. A groundbreaking is set for May 2008 and ethanol production in November 2010, Diane said.

And, seeking to be green, the company plans to:

-- Trap and truck out the carbon dioxide it produces and feed it to algae

-- Send its spent corn to cattle feed lots

-- Power itself with construction remnants and small tree scraps from the nearby forests, by way of a 10- megawatt biomass plant

"Currently there is not enough ethanol produced in Arizona to cover the current needs that the state has," Diane said.

And ethanol is seasonally required as a gasoline additive in Phoenix and Tucson, to reduce smog.

STUMBLED ONTO IDEA

The entrepreneurs stumbled onto the idea of ethanol production while distilling alcohol, said Dave, president of High Spirits Distillery.

"Our distillery is basically a miniature ethanol plant," he told the Flagstaff City Council on Monday night. "It is the same exact process to make whiskey and vodka as it is to make ethanol."

The drinks come from grains, Diane said, while the ethanol comes from corn and is blended with gasoline.

Their plant could be part of a larger wood-related industrial park, where waste from one business became building materials for the neighboring venture.

For the first five to 10 years, corn would be shipped into the plant from the Midwest by rail.

It would be used to make ethanol every hour of the year, which would be sold in Arizona.

The used corn would then be sent to cattle feed lots.

Carbon dioxide generated along the way would be trapped and trucked 250 miles to feed algae for another company.

That algae could be used to produce biodiesel or nutritional additives, becoming a launch pad for other products by another company.

The power to produce the ethanol would be provided by a biomass plant. Such a plant generates electricity from a turbine turned by steam, which comes from water boiled by the heat from burning truckloads of small-diameter trees and woody debris each day.

Meanwhile, excess steam-generated electricity could also be sold to Mogollon Brewery or High Spirits Distillery for their operations nearby.

FROM CORN TO CELLULOSE

In five to 10 years, the corn-based ethanol plant would be retrofitted to produce cellulostic ethanol, made from wood like ponderosa pine and potentially scraps from construction sites or paper-related sludge waste from SCA Tissue.

But more breakthroughs to improve that technology must be made before any of that becomes possible.

"Until it is commercially viable, investors don't want to touch it," Diane told the Flagstaff City Council, of tree-related ethanol.

The owners plan to re-use water on site and use reclaimed water if it is available where they locate.

They are planning to have construction and air emission permits in place by April 2008.

Unregistered

nice but it helps Buffalo how?

nice but it helps Buffalo how?

There is more energy wasted on making this plant produce and dispose of the by-products, then there is in oil production.

This is a scam worth $175mill.
    At the rate suckers are born every minute with the alternative fuel propaganda.
    I would invest.
    Won't save the plant but will line my pockets.

Unregistered

your not going to say that if our oil supplies get cut off for some reason

your not going to say that if our oil supplies get cut off for some reason

or if there is another replay of the 1970s shortage

or if our supply suddenly get reallocated to China or India and their economy

or if our major suppliers like Saudi Arabia and Mexico have their wells continue to pull up ever increasing amounts of salt water...meaning their wells are going dry. Guess what, salt water is increasing in the majority of the worlds major oil exporting fields.

Whether you like it or not...Id rather have biofuels that reprocessed plutonium from nuclear plants.

Whether you like it or not....its GOOD to have a diverse fuel supply.

In WWII when there were shortages and rationing people could still get around because there were trolleys you could take to work and shopping and recreation. What happens to our economy is shortages were to happen today and for the majority of people there is no alternative to the car/truck!

For you its a waste....but whether you believe in global warmning or believe in aging oil fields producing less and increasing consumption shrinking supply or believe that the roughly peaceful post WWII period will continue without the interruption of our fuel supply...the fact of the matter is diversity of energy for a country that imports over half its fuel is just the smart thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Whether you like it or not...Id rather have biofuels that reprocessed plutonium from nuclear plants.
    This makes no sense Timmy. What does it matter to me what you like?

Whether you like it or not....its GOOD to have a diverse fuel supply.

Where did I say it wasn't good? I pointed out a scam and that is exactly what it is. A scam and a waste of money.
    Also if a person can not afford to buy a flex fuel vehicle. They will not be buying the biofuels. The vast majority of Americans can not afford to go out and buy new vehicles just so a bunch of whine asses can say they no longer support foreign oil purchases. Well La-De-Da. We wouldn't be in this spot if we had moved forward in oil research and acquisition in the US.

In WWII when there were shortages and rationing people could still get around because there were trolleys you could take to work and shopping and recreation. What happens to our economy is shortages were to happen today and for the majority of people there is no alternative to the car/truck!

OK Timmy. this is not WWII and most people no longer live near mass transit and in WNY's case it wouldn't matter. Our mass transit goes nowhere near majority of business. This point is moot.

For you its a waste....but whether you believe in global warmning or believe in aging oil fields producing less and increasing consumption shrinking supply or believe that the roughly peaceful post WWII period will continue without the interruption of our fuel supply...the fact of the matter is diversity of energy for a country that imports over half its fuel is just the smart thing to do!

When the did wasting money become the smart thing to do?
    A mad dash to produce a fuel that most Americans can not buy. Because their vehicles will not run on the fuel unless they have a FFV.
    Given time most Americans will buy FFV's but it will take at least 20-30 years before there is a complete change. There is oil in the ground and we have prevented ourselves from getting it out.
    So due to FORCED oil reduction by environmentalists and anti-oil company groups, all of America must immediately change because of their demands?
    If anything is forced down the throats of Americans such as forced relocation for transportation. The uprising against that force will be so great the burning of Rome will seem small by comparison.

Hey but that's just my opinon.

You obviously don't read too well, BlowHardy. Ethanol is ALREADY REQUIRED in Arizona for part of the year. It's not a matter of only needing it if you buy a specific kind of car in the future.

And since you're so sure it's a waste and a fraud, tell me what else you dislike about their business plan? What were the city council's deliberations like? Tell me, how much more efficient will ethanol production be as technology improves?

What's that? You haven't read any of it? You don't know what you're talking about? Oh...whodda thunk?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Hey runaway your eyes aren't that good either are they.
    Nowhere in that article does it state that "Ethanol is ALREADY REQUIRED in Arizona."
    It states this "ethanol is seasonally required as a gasoline additive in Phoenix and Tucson."

They can not find investors though so why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

"They are attempting to secure investor financing and loans for their company, Earth Friendly Fuels, by the end of this year."

"Until it is commercially viable, investors don't want to touch it," Diane told the Flagstaff City Council, of tree-related ethanol.

I said it was my opinon. So suck my pipe bitch.
    Try having a conversation jackass instead of the crap you type out.
    Last edited by LHardy; August 1st, 2007 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    Hey runaway your eyes aren't that good either are they.
    Nowhere in that article does it state that "Ethanol is ALREADY REQUIRED in Arizona."
    It states this "ethanol is seasonally required as a gasoline additive in Phoenix and Tucson."

They can not find investors though so why don't you put your money where your mouth is?

I said it was my opinon. So suck my pipe bitch.
    Try having a conversation jackass instead of the crap you type out.
    "Currently there is not enough ethanol produced in Arizona to cover the current needs that the state has," Diane said.

And ethanol is seasonally required as a gasoline additive in Phoenix and Tucson, to reduce smog.

Uh...yeah. Last I checked, both Phoenix and Tucson were in Arizona. In fact, those two places contain better than 85% of Arizona's people. And since those two cities take so much of the market share, most of the rest of the state has the same mixtures, out of expediency.

If I had $175 mil to throw around, maybe I would look into it. Right now, I'm just making sure I have enough to the down payment on my house, thanks so much.

Again, you're spewing nonsensibles ("suck my pipe, bitch???) rather than answering the questions posed, such as:

what else you dislike about their business plan? What were the city council's deliberations like? Tell me, how much more efficient will ethanol production be as technology improves?

Since you can't answer, I figure that it's just more bluster and (are you ready for it???) Blowhardy...rather than any substance, or *gasp* actual knowledge.
    Last edited by run4it; August 1st, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Answer you?
    You still can not read.
    You don't know the differance between a state and two cities within a state.
    No one should expect you to be able to follow a buisness plan.When simple state versus city confuses you.
    So discussing my reasons why I think it is a SCAM with you would be futile.
    Then again discusion is not what you do here at SUWNY.
    Stevenco would have excepted you as his twin sister.
    Come back when you get political geography figured out.

Knowledge and substance has yet to be seen in any of your posts.

Blow,

Are Phoenix and Tucson in Arizona?

The article says that ethanol is required IN Arizona, not BY Arizona.

I also explained to you why most of Arizona has ethanol anyway.

Can you just not stand to lose an argument? Is your ego that fragile? Or are you a last work freak?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Run-on,
    Your reading things that are not there.
    You have even forgotten your own statement.
    Puberty must be hell on you.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Uh...yeah. Last I checked, both Phoenix and Tucson were in Arizona. In fact, those two places contain better than 85% of Arizona's people. And since those two cities take so much of the market share, most of the rest of the state has the same mixtures, out of expediency.
    Not only can you not read. You lie like the bitch you are.

The total combined population of Phoenix and Tucson is 1,872,760 +/- of few people.

The state total population is 5,472,750 +/- a few people.

That is a long, long way from 85% runon.
    Maybe you should do a simple google search before you run off at the mouth.

"ethanol is seasonally required as a gasoline additive in Phoenix and Tucson."
    Ethanol as a fuel-additive to 'reduce' emissions is a lie that needlessly increases prices at the pump...which is funneled back to corporate welfare for ADM.

Good thing that primary is in Iowa, hmm?
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

You're right. We (and by 'we' I mean people who are from Arizona) usually consider Mesa, Tempe, Glendale, Peoria, Awhatukee, etc as part of Phoenix (or the Valley), but Phoenix itself is only about a quarter of the entire population.

Even by the "metropolitan" standards, I was also incorrect. Out of a state population of 5,130,000, Phoenix and Tucson make up about 5,000,000. That's about 97% of the population.

Getting back to the main point, as reported in the Arizona Republic (main Phx newspaper):

Arizona already uses ethanol to boost the oxygen content in wintertime gasoline. Winter fuels are 10 percent ethanol by volume

The same info can be found at: http://www.azcommerce.com/doclib/ENE...stribution.pdf

talk about a 'simple google search'...

If you're going to pick up minutae when your main point is lost, and least make it relevant and more than a half-truth. (yes, metro populations are listed on the city wikipedia pages too)
    Last edited by run4it; August 1st, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by colossus27
    Ethanol as a fuel-additive to 'reduce' emissions is a lie that needlessly increases prices at the pump...which is funneled back to corporate welfare for ADM.
    You're saying that the use of ethanol does not reduce car emissions??

You'd be incorrect in that statement.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information