Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More waivers for Big Biz Healthcare

More waivers for Big Biz Healthcare

So once again, Obummer ****s small Biz and the middle class.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/he...iver.html?_r=1
    As Obama administration officials put into place some of the new rules that go into effect under the federal health care law, they are issuing more waivers to try to prevent some insurers and employers from dropping coverage and also promising to modify other rules because many of the existing policies would not meet new standards.

Among the waivers recently granted were for employers like Darden Restaurants, which operates the Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants, for 34,000 of its workers. Federal officials have granted 111 waivers to employers, insurers and union plans, who are responsible for covering about 1.2 million people.

Last month, federal officials granted dozens of one-year waivers that were aimed at sparing certain employers, including McDonald’s, insurers and unions who offer plans that sharply limit the coverage they provide. These limited-benefit plans, also known as “minimeds,” fail to comply with new rules phasing out limits on how much policies will provide in medical care each year.

So it's too expensive for Big Biz. Unions and Fed. employees.
    But small businesses like mine pay up or get fined.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post
    So once again, Obummer ****s small Biz and the middle class.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/he...iver.html?_r=1
    As Obama administration officials put into place some of the new rules that go into effect under the federal health care law, they are issuing more waivers to try to prevent some insurers and employers from dropping coverage and also promising to modify other rules because many of the existing policies would not meet new standards.

Among the waivers recently granted were for employers like Darden Restaurants, which operates the Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants, for 34,000 of its workers. Federal officials have granted 111 waivers to employers, insurers and union plans, who are responsible for covering about 1.2 million people.

Last month, federal officials granted dozens of one-year waivers that were aimed at sparing certain employers, including McDonald’s, insurers and unions who offer plans that sharply limit the coverage they provide. These limited-benefit plans, also known as “minimeds,” fail to comply with new rules phasing out limits on how much policies will provide in medical care each year.

So it's too expensive for Big Biz. Unions and Fed. employees.
    But small businesses like mine pay up or get fined.
    Small businesses are not going to get fined for not offering health insurance, but are already being given a tax break for doing so.

In the words of Joe Wilson:

"YOU LIE!!"
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Small businesses are not going to get fined for not offering health insurance, but are already being given a tax break for doing so.

In the words of Joe Wilson:

"YOU LIE!!"
    Ha ha ha ha ha.
    You're still funny.
    http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=12066

How will ObamaCare affect a small business owner who's married with two kids?

For one thing, he and his business will pay higher health premiums beginning this year.

He and his employees will have to purchase unlimited lifetime coverage and unlimited annual coverage (this requirement phases in between now and 2014). The Obama administration estimates that these mandates alone could increase premiums for some businesses by 7 percent.

He and his employees will have to purchase coverage for dependent children without any waiting periods for pre-existing conditions. Another mandate will require them to purchase coverage for dependents up to age 26. One private estimate puts the cost of this "slacker" mandate an average of 2 percent, but our small-business owner's premiums may rise even more. Perversely, the cost may force him to drop dependent coverage entirely.

The Obama administration is quick to note that beginning in 2010, one third of small businesses may be able to get a tax credit that covers up to 35 percent of their health-benefits. But that credit is not a long-term solution to rising costs; it disappears after 6 years, and often sooner. It will also discourage hiring, because hiring too many workers will reduce or eliminate the credit.

By 2013, all businesses will have to fill out an IRS Form 1099 every time they purchase more than $600 worth of stuff from a vendor. If our small-business owner owns a trucking company, he will have to ask gas stations for their tax ID numbers. If the gas stations don't cooperate, he will have to withhold money (i.e., send it to the IRS) for gas expenses. This will be the biggest nightmare in the bill for small businesses. Ironically, it will also hit many doctors, journalists, and others who supported ObamaCare, but run their own small business on the side.

If our small-business owner and his wife make over $250,000, they'll pay the new, higher Medicare "payroll" tax of 3.8 percent, starting in 2013. (It's currently 2.9 percent).

But it's 2014 where things really get messy. That's when the government will require everyone to purchase even more yet-unspecified types of coverage, which will cause premiums to rise even more.

ObamaCare has created enormous uncertainty. Our small-business owner doesn't have any idea what ObamaCare's mandates will cost him in 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014. Or what additional benefits he will have to provide. Or what kind of insurance options will be available by then. All he knows is that these things will cost him more — possibly a lot more — and that he's going to be spending lots of time and money, for the foreseeable future, on tax accountants and attorneys.

And he's going to be much less likely to take on new commitments like expanding or hiring new workers.

I thought the same thing.. McDonalds offering healthcare?? -- maybe full time managers after 1 yr but always upper management.. Thier co-pay is probably $1000.

Most companies in the service industry don't offer squat.

Tell us about your plan Mr. I love NY I like to hear this one!!
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Ha ha ha ha ha.
    You're still funny.
    http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=12066

How will ObamaCare affect a small business owner who's married with two kids?

For one thing, he and his business will pay higher health premiums beginning this year.

He and his employees will have to purchase unlimited lifetime coverage and unlimited annual coverage (this requirement phases in between now and 2014). The Obama administration estimates that these mandates alone could increase premiums for some businesses by 7 percent.

He and his employees will have to purchase coverage for dependent children without any waiting periods for pre-existing conditions. Another mandate will require them to purchase coverage for dependents up to age 26. One private estimate puts the cost of this "slacker" mandate an average of 2 percent, but our small-business owner's premiums may rise even more. Perversely, the cost may force him to drop dependent coverage entirely.

The Obama administration is quick to note that beginning in 2010, one third of small businesses may be able to get a tax credit that covers up to 35 percent of their health-benefits. But that credit is not a long-term solution to rising costs; it disappears after 6 years, and often sooner. It will also discourage hiring, because hiring too many workers will reduce or eliminate the credit.

By 2013, all businesses will have to fill out an IRS Form 1099 every time they purchase more than $600 worth of stuff from a vendor. If our small-business owner owns a trucking company, he will have to ask gas stations for their tax ID numbers. If the gas stations don't cooperate, he will have to withhold money (i.e., send it to the IRS) for gas expenses. This will be the biggest nightmare in the bill for small businesses. Ironically, it will also hit many doctors, journalists, and others who supported ObamaCare, but run their own small business on the side.

If our small-business owner and his wife make over $250,000, they'll pay the new, higher Medicare "payroll" tax of 3.8 percent, starting in 2013. (It's currently 2.9 percent).

But it's 2014 where things really get messy. That's when the government will require everyone to purchase even more yet-unspecified types of coverage, which will cause premiums to rise even more.

ObamaCare has created enormous uncertainty. Our small-business owner doesn't have any idea what ObamaCare's mandates will cost him in 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014. Or what additional benefits he will have to provide. Or what kind of insurance options will be available by then. All he knows is that these things will cost him more — possibly a lot more — and that he's going to be spending lots of time and money, for the foreseeable future, on tax accountants and attorneys.

And he's going to be much less likely to take on new commitments like expanding or hiring new workers.
    I'm sorry. I missed where the health care reform law fines small business owners for not providing health insurance to employees.

I do see you mentioned they do get a tax break for offering health insurance though. Thanks for admitting that at least.

you as a person are fined for not having health insurance.

to cover a family of 4, costs over $15000 a year. The problem lies in the cost of care. period.

til you retards figure out that the COST OF CARE IS THE PROBLEM the cost of everything else will continue to bankrupt us.

btw, most bankruptcies are due to medical bills of those who HAVE health insurance.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

There will be much more to come regarding this debacle. The law is already found flawed and these exemptions will temporarily fix this one huge issue. But, in the words of Nancy "I am smarter than you" Pelosi. Now that the bill is passed we can find out what is in it!

We will see many more issues and hopefully a repeal soon.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    you as a person are fined for not having health insurance.

to cover a family of 4, costs over $15000 a year. The problem lies in the cost of care. period.

til you retards figure out that the COST OF CARE IS THE PROBLEM the cost of everything else will continue to bankrupt us.

btw, most bankruptcies are due to medical bills of those who HAVE health insurance.
    Yes, you as a person are fined for not having insurance. And, after the law is fully in place, there would be no reason to not carry health insurance. After the tax credits to get insurance, the public exchange, etc.

Yes, cost is the main problem. And, the only real fix for that is single payer. However, the electorate of this country allowed themselves to be lied to, and they fell for the lie, of "DEATH PANELS!!!" which killed the single payer.

And yes, most bankruptcies were from people with insurance. Actually people who HAD insurance, and were dropped when they became sick. This practice known as "rescission" is not illegal. Insurers are now made to pay out for care.

Another thing in the current law which will at least help in controlling costs, after the law has fully taken affect, is mandatory minimums set for overheard costs, which by and large, are the primary cause of high costs of care.

I'm sorry. I missed where the health care reform law fines small business owners for not providing health insurance to employees.

I do see you mentioned they do get a tax break for offering health insurance though. Thanks for admitting that at least.
    If our small-business owner has 50 or more employees — or fewer full-time employees and lots of part-timers — he faces the prospect of tens of thousands of dollars in penalties under ObamaCare's employer mandate if he does not provide "adequate" coverage to his workers.

The worst part is that these penalties will be triggered by factors that are unpredictable, unobservable, and totally beyond the control of our small-business owner. He could get hit with those penalties simply because a worker's spouse loses or changes jobs. Or if a worker's spouse moves out or dies. Or if an employee's parents move in.

This creates so much uncertainty that a small-business owner with 55 employees may have to fire six of them just to eliminate that potential liability.

If our small-business owner has 50 or more employees — or fewer full-time employees and lots of part-timers — he faces the prospect of tens of thousands of dollars in penalties under ObamaCare's employer mandate if he does not provide "adequate" coverage to his workers.

The worst part is that these penalties will be triggered by factors that are unpredictable, unobservable, and totally beyond the control of our small-business owner. He could get hit with those penalties simply because a worker's spouse loses or changes jobs. Or if a worker's spouse moves out or dies. Or if an employee's parents move in.

This creates so much uncertainty that a small-business owner with 55 employees may have to fire six of them just to eliminate that potential liability.
    I highly doubt you can call a business that employs more than 50 people a "small business"...

I highly doubt you can call a business that employs more than 50 people a "small business"...
    Most technology companies list 1-99 users as small, 100 to 499 as medium, 500 to 1499 as large and 1500+ as enterprise.

Of the 192 accounts I handle... about 25% fit in the 1-10 employee, 30% fit in the 11-49 range, 40% fit in the 50-100 range, 5% have over 100 workers.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Most technology companies list 1-99 users as small, 100 to 499 as medium, 500 to 1499 as large and 1500+ as enterprise.

Of the 192 accounts I handle... about 25% fit in the 1-10 employee, 30% fit in the 11-49 range, 40% fit in the 50-100 range, 5% have over 100 workers.
    So, it would seem, if we use your demographics, the majority of small businesses wont even see the "penalty"...

But, I have to ask, how many above 50 offer health insurance? And, wouldn't you think, that it would be the right thing to do?

So, it would seem, if we use your demographics, the majority of small businesses wont even see the "penalty"...

But, I have to ask, how many above 50 offer health insurance? And, wouldn't you think, that it would be the right thing to do?

45% are above the 50 person limit, I can't say exactly how many have 50 to 54 though, but I would guess it's a few.

Of most of those 45%, they offer HI for the majority of their employees... but not all. For the people who spend hours a day scanning paper, many of which are temp or hourly employees they don't have HI.

I know one company with 65 people, of which only 25 get HI. The rest don't because they are hourly employees and may work 50 hours one week and 30 hours the next... or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    45% are above the 50 person limit, I can't say exactly how many have 50 to 54 though, but I would guess it's a few.

Of most of those 45%, they offer HI for the majority of their employees... but not all. For the people who spend hours a day scanning paper, many of which are temp or hourly employees they don't have HI.

I know one company with 65 people, of which only 25 get HI. The rest don't because they are hourly employees and may work 50 hours one week and 30 hours the next... or none at all.
    So, in fact, few small businesses will actually get hit with any kind of penalty, if we were to use your demographics, correct?

BTW, Temp employees (Also known as 1099's) don't get benefits at all, and are not effected by this particular penalty. 1099's are self-employed, and will be able to purchase insurance on their own, or will be provided through their temp agency (To wit they count as employees).

So, in fact, few small businesses will actually get hit with any kind of penalty, if we were to use your demographics, correct?

BTW, Temp employees (Also known as 1099's) don't get benefits at all, and are not effected by this particular penalty. 1099's are self-employed, and will be able to purchase insurance on their own, or will be provided through their temp agency (To wit they count as employees).
    45% is a small number??

WOW, you need some perspective there!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information