Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Rosemond's Parenting Resolutions: Self Righteous and Kind of A Meanie?

And I'm sorry but his idea of "the marital bed" and how children are not allowed anywhere near it conjures up images of one of those pitchfork-wielding parents from a Stephen King story.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    And I'm sorry but his idea of "the marital bed" and how children are not allowed anywhere near it conjures up images of one of those pitchfork-wielding parents from a Stephen King story.
    All kidding aside, I do agree with your viewpoint. He just made it absurd. Children should not be sleeping with their parents though (unless certain situations like nightmares and not feeling well). Mine didn't, and not from lack of trying from them.

I think what he is trying to state is that children need discipline and boundries. They need to respect their elders, they need to learn problem solving techniques and they need to use old fashion ways of entertainment.

I would like to add one..

Don't follow your child around with a camera like you are their personal paparazzi.

I see parents that barly engage their children because they have their face behind the camera all the time.

I agree with the manners, and you can teach any kid manners. I have seen kids with severe behavioral problems that have excellent manners as weird as it sounds.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    All kidding aside, I do agree with your viewpoint. He just made it absurd. Children should not be sleeping with their parents though (unless certain situations like nightmares and not feeling well). Mine didn't, and not from lack of trying from them.

I think what he is trying to state is that children need discipline and boundries. They need to respect their elders, they need to learn problem solving techniques and they need to use old fashion ways of entertainment.
    I don't know, I know many parents who are opting for co sleeping with their little ones and I don't think it impacts the child either way as long as they aren't older. I personally find it uncomfortable but I have friends who love it.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

As for chores.. I think kids should start helping with chores when they start walking.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I don't know, I know many parents who are opting for co sleeping with their little ones and I don't think it impacts the child either way as long as they aren't older. I personally find it uncomfortable but I have friends who love it.
    I know of a family that killed their child because they rolled over and smothered them. I see the dangers of this. I am sure there is value in this practice. Also at what point should a child resume their own bed?

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I would like to add one..

Don't follow your child around with a camera like you are their personal paparazzi.

I see parents that barly engage their children because they have their face behind the camera all the time.

I agree with the manners, and you can teach any kid manners. I have seen kids with severe behavioral problems that have excellent manners as weird as it sounds.
    Yeah, that is a good one to pose. I also agree, children with behaviorial problems usually have great manners. I feel that if children aren't taught certain values that they will eventually feel that they are "entitled."

I know of a family that killed their child because they rolled over and smothered them. I see the dangers of this. I am sure there is value in this practice. Also at what point should a child resume their own bed?
    I was talking about this in regards to whether it's spoiling or not. It is dangerous if the child is small and I would say upto age 7-10 depending on the child is when co sleeping should be stoped (just my opinion).

Yeah, that is a good one to pose. I also agree, children with behaviorial problems usually have great manners. I feel that if children aren't taught certain values that they will eventually feel that they are "entitled."
    A child who has an organic issue causing behavioral problems can still be taught manners and values. The problem is people look at it as behavioral problems when really it's social problems. Behaviors and Social go hand in hand but everyone wants to compartmentalize them.

Sure spoiling or overindulging your children is bad, but ignoring them or denying them affection is worse. Studies have been done regarding levels of stress hormones in children who are denied affection. Sure it "builds character" but it ruins the children's health too.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Who here had an "emergency" cell phone while growing up?
    Not me.
    I survived my childhood fairly well.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Child: "Mommy can I snuggle with you and Daddy on the bed?"

Father, with beard and a pitcfork: "No you shameful child! The bed is where Mommy and I have our maritals! You shall not defile it with your shameful child ways! Now get along now, if I talk to you any longer I shall be overindulging you! And you are not as important to me as your mother is!"
    We didn't allow our kids to sleep in bed with us. If they were frightened, we went to their bed. This made their room safe and okay to sleep in.
    Maybe this was because our parents didn't allow for this either. I've heard one too many horror stories of kids never wanting to leave their parents bed once the habit of snuggling in mom's bed started.
    I remember a 20/20 episode that had parents and kids sharing the same bed every night. They even had sex with the kids still in the bed with them.
    It's not my cup of tea. My kids knew how babies were made not by showing them, but by answering their questions. I have to say, they knew more in 5th grade than what I signed the permission slip for. At least, that's what my daughter reported when she came home from school.
    Besides, how much fun can a couple have with the kids in bed with them. I would think that one of the kids would have been bounced of the bed. Explain that injury to the ER doc.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Sure spoiling or overindulging your children is bad, but ignoring them or denying them affection is worse. Studies have been done regarding levels of stress hormones in children who are denied affection. Sure it "builds character" but it ruins the children's health too.
    I agree affection is important. Children in orphanages often develop reactive attachment disorder because of lack of affection. There is a difference between tough love and neglect. Not giving any affection is neglect in a way.

Reactive Attachment disorder is something interesting to read about, especially when reading about the various ways it has been treated. Some are pretty scary, others make sense. This women who was interviewed on NPR did a treatment were her and her adopted son had to be with in a few feet of eachother for months straight and he wasn't allowed to ask for anything, she had to just provide it and if he asked she had to ignore it to create the bond that imitates the mother and infant. They have done some pretty extreme things in the past to put a child at an infantile helpless state to recreate a bond.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    Who here had an "emergency" cell phone while growing up?
    Not me.
    I survived my childhood fairly well.
    I had quarters for emergencies.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I remember a 20/20 episode that had parents and kids sharing the same bed every night. They even had sex with the kids still in the bed with them.
    QUOTE]
    Yikes! That is gross!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information