Thread: The Lancaster Bee: Supervisor Leary's Monthly Update, March, 2024

The Lancaster Bee: Supervisor Leary's Monthly Update, March, 2024

Wasting no time getting things done

March 14, 2024

Robert Leary
    TOWN OF LANCASTER SUPERVISOR

I am now in my third month proudly serving as your supervisor. It has been a busy time of both challenge and rapid-paced progress, but as always, it is important for you to be fully informed as to what is taking place in our town.

The staff in the supervisor’s office has been very busy correcting the issues left from the past administration. The new staff is highly qualified, motivated, and is working diligently to address the needs and concerns of the residents as well as the demands of the regulators.

In this message, I will focus on the status of the Moratorium Committee, our town’s finances, the new “Connecting Lancaster” project, and the Penora Street bus traffic issue. Taking each in turn:

(1) The Moratorium Committee, having been divided into sub committees, is actively looking at everything we can do to maintain our high quality of life, while planning for controlled residential growth in the town. Those committees have met three times so far, and have now opened the meetings up to the public. The next public meeting is April 1.

(2) When I took office on Jan. 1, the state of our town’s finances was very concerning.

Lancaster’s new Director of Administration and Finance, Nick Swanson, has issued the following statement on the Town of Lancaster’s state of fiscal affairs of March 12, 2024:

The town’s finances are currently reported to be in good standing following the implementation of new policies and internal controls being set in place by the current administration. These corrective measures have had a significant improvement to the town’s financial operations and showcase a commitment to rectifying past challenges and ensuring a more sustainable future for the town. Through the implementation of these strong fiscal policies, accompanied with effective budgeting and responsible spending practices, the town ensures compliance with state and federal guidelines, while enabling the funding of essential services and investment in future growth and development.”

A “well-done” to Nick Swanson and my thanks to the residents of the town for their understanding.

(3) The town is working on a new project called “Connecting Lancaster.” The goal of the project, using existing town-owned property, is to develop paths which will connect one neighborhood to another. These paths are intended to give our residents a safer way to move around town without having to always hop in the car to get from place to place; a great way to get more exercise while reducing traffic dangers and congestion.

We are also attempting to establish a partnership with one of our local utility companies to utilize their land to build additional paths. One such possibility under consideration is using a strip of land to connect Westwood Park to the Heritage Trail. There are additional imaginative possibilities under consideration.

(4) There have been numerous concerns expressed by town departments about the NFTA bus traffic on Penora Street.

I have personally viewed and video taped one bus, heading south on Penora, making a very sharp turn westward onto William Street. In its maneuver, that bus impacted all of the existing lanes of traffic.

I provided a copy of that video to Erie County Legislator Frank Todaro and our police chief, William Gummo. To their great credit, both quickly contacted the NFTA in order to further explore what was taking place. Additionally I contacted New York State Assembly Member Monica Wallace’s office.

Subsequently, I was gratified to read in the Bee a story regarding the bus issue on Penora Street and for the telephone call I received the day after the Bee article, advising that the NFTA was changing its bus route to eliminate the hazard.

On behalf of our town, I thank the NFTA for making that decision and all of those who worked to resolve this issue.

In closing, I want all of the residents of the town to know that I look forward to meeting all of the future challenges that my office brings, and that I have never been more optimistic about the direction of our great town.

Lastly, I wish all a Happy Saint Patrick’s day, but please celebrate and drive with the safety of others in mind.

Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...g-things-done/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 14th, 2024 at 09:50 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Thread Information