Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Seneca Employment Practices and double dipping

West Seneca Employment Practices and double dipping

From: http://www.westsenecabee.com/news/20..._deny_fav.html

In other news, the board appointed:

Robert Pinnavaia as fire inspector at an hourly rate of $21, effective Jan. 25. Pinnavaia previously served as assistant building inspector before accepting the state’s early retirement incentive.

Jeffrey Schieber as code enforcement officer at an annual salary of $50,000, effective Feb. 8.

Linda Boldt as part-time clerk at a rate of $12 per hour. This came at the request of Town Clerk Patricia DePasquale, whose office is in need of additional help after assuming the duties of the Tax Receiver’s Office. The latter was eliminated through a vote by the public in the 2009 elections.
    What this article does not mention is that Linda Boldt also took a retirement from the town: http://www.westseneca.net/index.php?q=node/303

This brings up whether these individuals who have retired from the Town or any other entity covered by the NYS Retirement System is either within the limits of the NY Retirement and Social Security Law section 210 or have obtained a waiver under section 211. (What people commonly refer to as the double dipping provisions)

Also there are residency issues:

In a letter published by the West Seneca Bee entitled "Responsibility must be taken for issues" Linda Boldt listed her street as "Hawthorne Avenue" ( http://www.westsenecabee.com/news/20...or_issues.html )

According to voter registration records her address is listed as:

101 HAWTHORNE DR
    ORCHARD PARK, NY 14127-1937
    ERIE COUNTY

And from records in the Erie County Clerk's office Linda and William Boldt purchased this property on November 20, 2009.

So is there an enforceable residency requirement for Town Employees and is Linda Boldt living within or without the Town of West Seneca?

Then there is the issues of prior complaints by her against the town so why would you retire and then come back to work for an entity you had so much issues with, and why would the town rehire her? From: http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article314779.ece

Linda L. Boldt, who served as office manager of the town Youth Bureau from 1992 to 2007 and also served in the offices of the town’s attorney, comptroller and Recreation Department, filed a complaint against Lazzara in 2007 with the state Human Rights Division.

She said she began to notice “a pattern and practice of discrimination against female employees” and told Lazzara she no longer wanted to interview females for town positions.

“On most occasions, he laughed,” she wrote in the complaint.

Boldt also alleged that a hostile work environment was created that included her removal from e-mail lists and the changing of locks.

The Human Rights Division stated it “found that there was probable cause to believe that [the town] had engaged in unlawful discrimination.”

In its settlement, the town paid Boldt $23,500. It spent more than $18,000 in legal costs, according to the documents.
    Lazzara said his relationship with Boldt soured when he “caught” her using a town credit card to pay nearly $1,000 for a vacation. Boldt said she accidentally used the wrong card and reimbursed the town. Records supplied by Lazzara show a personal check from Boldt to the town one month after the transaction.

Boldt filed a second complaint against the town in 2009 relating to a transfer to another town department. She withdrew the complaint that year on the understanding she would be credited with sick days she used “while recovering from the stressful time it took to get back to work again.” Town records show she was credited with 86 sick days.

Boldt declined to comment on the state complaints but described a work environment in which Lazzara went from being a “good boss [who] really cared about what he did” to “a really hard person to work for.”
    This is not the only questionable transaction. I am a plaintiff in an action challenging the Town's (as well as the County and State's) use of provisional appointments (See http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79669 )

One of those individuals that were provisionally appointed was Mrs. Josefiak. Mrs. Josefiak took the test for the position she was appointed to last year, but apparently was not reachable so instead the Town created a new position and appointed her to the new position: http://www.westseneca.net/index.php?q=node/328 Items 13 & 14.
    Last edited by dtwarren; February 12th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Dan,
    The Town's residency rule, only applies for a short period of time. There are several Town employees who no longer live in the WS. Those that I'm aware of work in the Highway Dept, probably some Police as well. This was arranged in their CBAs some time ago. I'm sorry, I don't have a copy anymore, I got one from an employee in the HD, but it was outdated. I've tried to get a new one, but no luck so far.

As for Linda's employment, this was at the request request of Pat DiPasquale, for a short period, until March. My guess, is that that will be how long it will take to go through the exam results, or until a new one is held, and someone could be hired. Maybe they're waiting for a board member to bring someone's resume in for consideration. Then they can reach agreement on Joe and Mike.

As for "double dipping", how can you fault the Town when it's being done on a much larger scale on the State level? A State retiree can be brought back for limited time, if their experience is determined unique to the position, providing they do not earn in excess of $30,000. As long as the State approves it, what can you do?

Lastly, I know if my employer played games with me and my job, I'd go after them. We all would, that's human nature. And, let's be honest here, the previous administration was far from forthright in their dealings and ethics. They went after anyone who questioned them on anything. You should know better than anyone. Does the Canisius football field on Clinton ring a bell?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Dan,
    The Town's residency rule, only applies for a short period of time. There are several Town employees who no longer live in the WS. Those that I'm aware of work in the Highway Dept, probably some Police as well. This was arranged in their CBAs some time ago. I'm sorry, I don't have a copy anymore, I got one from an employee in the HD, but it was outdated. I've tried to get a new one, but no luck so far.
    Her employment with the town was terminated on December 28, 2010. She is a new employee.

As for Linda's employment, this was at the request request of Pat DiPasquale, for a short period, until March. My guess, is that that will be how long it will take to go through the exam results, or until a new one is held, and someone could be hired. Maybe they're waiting for a board member to bring someone's resume in for consideration. Then they can reach agreement on Joe and Mike.

As for "double dipping", how can you fault the Town when it's being done on a much larger scale on the State level? A State retiree can be brought back for limited time, if their experience is determined unique to the position, providing they do not earn in excess of $30,000. As long as the State approves it, what can you do?
    She was a clerk, there is nothing special about it. In fact she was transferred a number of times so it is not even likely that an argument can be made that she possess a unique skill or knowledge and since when do you ascribe to the they do it so why can't we theory?

Lastly, I know if my employer played games with me and my job, I'd go after them. We all would, that's human nature. And, let's be honest here, the previous administration was far from forthright in their dealings and ethics. They went after anyone who questioned them on anything. You should know better than anyone. Does the Canisius football field on Clinton ring a bell?
    No one is faulting her for fighting for what she believed is her rights, but as an employer who just got rid of someone who did that would you rehire them? I don't think so.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Her employment with the town was terminated on December 28, 2010. She is a new employee.

She was a clerk, there is nothing special about it. In fact she was transferred a number of times so it is not even likely that an argument can be made that she possess a unique skill or knowledge and since when do you ascribe to the they do it so why can't we theory?

No one is faulting her for fighting for what she believed is her rights, but as an employer who just got rid of someone who did that would you rehire them? I don't think so.
    I've come to believe logic and thought no longer apply in West Seneca. Who knows what anyone's thought process is anymore. The Board is acting like a bunch of spoiled children. Hell, the 3 and 4 year olds that live next door to me play nicer than they do.

If I were Linda, I'd say f**k you, and walk out before more BS flew in my direction.

I'm getting feed up with it, aren't you? They're going to do what they want no matter what we say here, at TB meetings, or to their face. Another reason the downsizing isn't working. Did you read that Kevin? I told you so!

I thought you knew me by now! I may pick my fights, but never give up.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    I thought you knew me by now! I may pick my fights, but never give up.
    I know you do. I just find the recent events petty. Perhaps when I'm able to get to the TB mettings again I'll better understand what's going on.

Until then, I just want to slap them all. Or maybe they need a "time out."

Mr. Warren

Maybe we should just take a moment to be honest about what this is really about. A few years ago, Ms. Boldt had the courage to stand up to a dirty politician and “speak up” about unethical practices and Legislator Bove hasn’t gotten over it yet. So Mr. Warren here, probably with nothing better to do, saw an opportunity to placate to his master and decided to run down a private citizen, who regardless of being on the public payroll, has the right to privacy and not be harassed. I seriously have to question someone’s “moderator” status when they clearly lack objectivity and add to the garbage and bull**** on this site. Mr. Warren’s passion about government and knowledge of the law would almost be impressive if he wasn’t such a tool and a puppet for those who use him for their own selfish gains. Grow up dude and get a life.

I don't have a master.

So out of all those employees I noted above, and will note in the future, only Mrs. Boldt is a private citizen?

I also note you do not refute anything posted, and you are entitled to your opinion, however it is difficult for me to reconcile your opinion of her being a private citizen entitled to "privacy" with her actions of talking to reporters on these issues as recently as January of this year and having a town job.

What other employees have you mentioned? It’s one thing to go after and question the actions of the elected officials, it’s another to attack an employee who has the right to not be harassed.

I refuted the outright lies in a private message to the owner of this website, despite being advised to contact you because of your obvious bias and lack of objectivity. And it’s not an opinion when statements of fact are spun falsely to damage the reputation of someone for personal gain.

As far as the article, maybe it hit a little too close to home for some past elected officials who should have been there to protect town employees instead of allowing a situation that created a need for a lawsuit in the first place. And to me, that is what this is really about. Give up your moderator status if you are going to take sides and attack people for your master’s gain.

Your apparent bias just showed by not even acknowledging that others were mentioned. You also have failed to refute anything that has been posted.

Like I said Mr. Warren I refuted the claims in a private message. Why would I repeat false accusations that I was requesting to have removed? Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendKiller View Post
    Like I said Mr. Warren I refuted the claims in a private message. Why would I repeat false accusations that I was requesting to have removed? Doesn't make sense.
    Perhaps they were not in fact false, but was combined with opinion you did not like.

It seems like what we have here is someone who can’t see the forest for the trees. Why someone would volunteer to moderate content on a site like this, I don’t get, but would assume has something to do with holding elected officials accountable and offering a forum for political discourse. That isn’t what’s happening here though, at least in the West Seneca forum. Here these threads are used to air dirty laundry, make personal attacks and spread rumors and gossip. The fact that you are so willing to engage in it only leaves me to believe that you revel in it and take pride in what is said here mistakenly thinking that it is making a difference. Well, sorry, but it’s not. Supporting the spreading of false information and inflammatory rhetoric only encourages an already tragically ignorant and misinformed populous to become more ignorant. This doesn’t help to make anything better, it only adds to the trouble and aids in holding us back as a culture and a political people. Sites like this would almost be laughable if they didn’t do so much damage. Shame on you for supporting it and adding to the garbage.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Legend?

You fail to see that a lot of pops up here ends up being true for the most part.

Yeah see there's something about that that makes me uncomfortable. "For the most part" is like saying a team almost wins. Doesn't make them winners. Aside from that though Res, we had some lunatic come on here spreading a bunch of untruths simply to harass someone personally. Your moderator in response to that took it upon himself to post this individuals address and add to the garbage. That isn't adding to information, it's clearly animus from someone who is grinding their axe. When there is so much colateral damage, in this case effecting people's personal lives, it makes your "for the most part" argument, a very weak one. It's irresponsible and shameful. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information