Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Three- Way Race For Village of Lancaster Trustee

A Three- Way Race For Village of Lancaster Trustee

Good evening everyone,

I am Joe Lista and I offer myself as an alternative to the two candidates who are running for Village of Lancaster Trustee on March 19.

For far too long, our village government has been out of touch with the residents. That government seems to have deliberated in secret, and along with some other concerning practices, has frequently imposed its will with arrogance. The residents of the Village of Lancaster are deserving of an open, honest, and responsive government, which will always listen to the concerns, and prioritize the needs, of our entire village family.

In that regard, many residents believe that the Village of Lancaster is in need of a candidate who is entirely independent of the same old retreaded elitists, who are actually two sides of the same coin. After great thought, I believe I am that man.

Although my position with the Town of Lancaster Highway Department and my current part-time service with the Cheektowaga Police Department, provide me with the desirable background and experience, to fully and effectively, undertake the office of Village Trustee, my true motivation and commitment to serve comes from the heartfelt words and passionate feelings of my fellow Village of Lancaster residents, which cry-out for an agent of change.

Please rest assured that as Trustee, I will put the needs and concerns of the residents of our great village FIRST, and I will always be your faithful, transparent and responsive voice and on the Village Board.

If you agree with me, kindly write in "Joseph Lista" on your March 19, 2024 Special Election ballot.

image - 2024-03-05T185315.519.jpg

Reference: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...96768650637466
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

What could have possibly possessed Mr. Lista in deciding to enter a political race in the eleventh hour – and as a write-in candidate to boot. Against two distinguished candidates having political experience and quasi supporters of the current administration.

An administration recognized on the Erie County Department of Environment & Planning Facebook for designing a transformational streetscape project that has restored the Village of Lancaster’s historic central business district after the area was devastated by a fire more than 60 years ago. An extension of West Main Street, a pair of roundabouts, an EV charging station, and Cayuga Creek Park were among the additions made to better serve the community were mentioned.

Accompanying the report is a photo of Village of Lancaster Mayor Lynne Ruda with her comments:

“I think the Village and village board are really committed to looking at the whole scope of climate smart initiatives,” says Lancaster Mayor Lynne Ruda. “We’re trying to get people out, walking, create fewer emissions, and provide safe spaces for pedestrians and bicyclists. Embracing that has a great impact on downtown and has allowed businesses to develop and grow.”

Mr. Lista is spot on when he writes: “For far too long, our village government has been out of touch with the residents. That government seems to have deliberated in secret, and along with some other concerning practices, has frequently imposed its will with arrogance. The residents of the Village of Lancaster are deserving of an open, honest, and responsive government, which will always listen to the concerns, and prioritize the needs, of our entire village family.”

Would that Mr. Lista provide his agenda proposals. Residents and visitors who frequent the village shopping, dining, etc. would like his take on issues that afflict the village – infrastructure, roads, traffic, etc. Some people are not pleased with the roundabouts – roundabouts undersized where vehicles travel 20 mph, don’t slow down and are a hazard. Trucks are unable to maneuver and drive upon the roundabout structures as well.

I frequent 3 businesses on West Main Street and have to circle the street to find close parking, restricted walking because of a serious back issue. No handicap parking is provided. The green energy program is laudable but is offset by the village’s open bottle and accepting marijuana policies.

Wish the candidates would weigh in on issues that exist, not pontificate on improvements made and of no consequence to the residents. Where is that EV charging station and who does it serve? Why is one developer favored in the village’s developing scheme?

Touch upon the Village's delay and reluctance to livestream its meetings. Transparency and openness to the max! So pleased to hear the Town will be livestreaming this coming Monday's moratorium committee meeting.

Old enough to remember the fire, shopping on West Main Street even before then, this is not the vibrant business it was then, or will be.

Lee,

Mr. Lista's statement and your comments raise many issues in my mind regarding the two other candidates, some of which I perhaps will comment upon at a later date.

With that said, I respond to your observation:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Wish the candidates would weigh in on issues that exist, not pontificate on improvements made and of no consequence to the residents.
    Just My Opinion:

Based strictly on the February 15, 2024 Bee article, referenced below, I am left with the impression that both Messers Santoro and Schroeder, actually revealed very little about their firm positions on the various issues which confront the VOL.

Based on my reading of that article, it would seem that Mr. Santoro appears to be running on a strict platform of feel-good platitudes and cliched purpose. IMHO, such is a rather weird place for an incumbent Trustee to be at this stage in its political campaign.

Based on that same February 15, 2024 Bee article, I fail to discern to what extent Santoro is committed to the "climate smart initiatives," where he stands on the issue of one developer owning and controlling so much of the downtown business district, and where he stands on live streaming.

I am also curious about his apparent self-admission that he enjoys "understanding the ins and outs of any given issue." In my mind that raises the question: does his comment prioritize a wish to be a power player for self-ego, because his "understanding" lacks any reference of transferring the knowledge attending his "understanding" to problem solving or otherwise supporting his efforts to address the needs and concerns of the VOL residents?

I am also rather troubled by Santoro's comment "...even if it takes a little extra effort." Is his heart truly into the workload and time which must be necessarily expended by an elected trustee. "Even if...", seriously?

Regarding Bill Schroeder, it is really irrelevant for me to convey my feelings that he is one of the nicest men I know. Rather, I must focus on what or who will best serve the residents of the VOL.

In that connection, based on the February 15, 2024 Bee article referred to above, on the issues of "climate smart initiatives" and the livestreaming of VOL government meetings, Schroeder appeared to be more cautious than assertive.

Schroeder's "climate smart initiatives" comment "Maybe some ideas will be great for the village; some may have no bearing on the village at all," strikes me as sort of an "all things to all people" response.

(Perhaps if Schroeder, who well knows that the personal finances of many VOL residents simply can not accommodate much of the new Green-friendly technology, would unambiguously endorse the Town Board-adopted Leary resolution opposing the radical Hochul proposals, the residents would have a better handle on the scope of his commitment to future "climate smart initiatives".)

On the issue of live streaming, although Mr. Schroeder correctly notes the VOL's delay in initiating such a policy, he simply does not directly promise to fully pursue, sponsor, and vote for, such legislation. He merely notes the obvious and does so with the caveat, "I don’t know what the holdup is." Is that like something of an escape hatch for him to oppose such legislation, if or when someone convinces or otherwise compels him to do so?

Once again, it resembles an "all things to all people" response, IMHO.

Even more perplexing to me, was the article's characterization of Bill Schroeder as a "fan" of Sweeney.

Above all, and MOST concerning to me, as I understood the Bee's story, the reporter did not reference, nor did either candidate note, the reason(s) why this special election is being held, and the issues associated with that need. In my opinion, it is somewhat analogous to reporting William Saxbe's confirmation as U.S. Attorney General, without referencing the reasons for Elliot Richardson's departure.

Perhaps this write-in candidate can speak more substantively to some of the issues?

https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...cial-election/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2024 at 12:59 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Mark and Lee,

Your questions about the present state of affairs within the halls of VOL Municipal bldg (leadership under Mayor Ruda) are ones the citizens would be asking more about if most of what goes on there was not hidden from that same group.

ANY politician serving on any board at anytime who is not steadfastly in favor of live video is not there to serve their community first.

Presently seated are those type of politicians. Each has done NOTHING to prove otherwise.

I have been doing my diligence to become informed about the timeline and involvement of the last 4 administrations of the VOL. I must say I see a lot of the same names involved with Mr. Sweeney and the great deal he got at the expense of the local tax payers. One question I might ask is where is the money from the sale of the valuable business that ended up in Mr. Sweeney's ownership?

I already know the answer but I will bet most voters don't have any idea of how much the leaders squandered an asset of nearly a million dollar worth of valuable downtown real estate into a bargain basement price for their buddy Mr. Sweeney!

From Cansdale to Ruda and the mayors in between, all have been co-opted by Sweeney. All have known about the obvious conflict of interest incurred by their behind closed doors decisions that were made to benefit Sweeney time after time.

When your local officials become promoters and cheerleaders and investors in a rookie developer the citizens are left behind and non connected business owners fight a losing battle against a Tax infused favored son like Tom Sweeney

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    ANY politician serving on any board at anytime who is not steadfastly in favor of live video is not there to serve their community first.
    Just My Opinions:

GC,

For me, the live streaming of VOL Board and of its committee subdivisions, is the most important issue in this campaign. Each candidate, write-in or otherwise, needs to make known their position, unambiguously, and without qualification. To the best of my knowledge, to date, no candidate has made any such a public assertion, but hope springs eternal, eh?

The Washington Post, even after revealing its repugnant political slant, still publishes under the motto "Democracy Dies In The Darkness,"and more meaningfully, The Holy Bible teaches "Woe to those who deeply hide their plans & whose deeds are done in a dark place..."Both sources state my position on live streaming so well.

Regrettably, what may be the more secretive past actions of previous Boards perhaps will never be fully revealed. Equally, I believe that it is highly unlikely that any of their perceived flawed decisions will be fully corrected, but towards future remediation, I would ask that all of the candidates strongly consider the live streaming issue within the meaning of the words of Antonio in Shakespeare's The Tempest: "What's past is prologue."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2024 at 07:18 PM.

Ground Control:

An excellent post! Especially regarding the Villages delay to present livestreaming of its meetings – all of them. It allows the public access to see and hear firsthand how their government is operating and how their tax dollars are being spent. Openness, transparency, and accountability. Too often, and over a long period of time much has been hidden or contrived, not in the best interest of village residents, but the selective few.

My interest here differs in that some have become excited seeing or hearing Mr. Lista’s petition for having them cast a write-in ballot for him in the upcoming March 19th VOL Trustee election. Mr. Lista’s write-in petition announcement states:

I am Joe Lista and I offer myself as an alternative to the two candidates who are running for Village of Lancaster Trustee on March 19.

For far too long, our village government has been out of touch with the residents. That government seems to have deliberated in secret, and along with some other concerning practices, has frequently imposed its will with arrogance. The residents of the Village of Lancaster are deserving of an open, honest, and responsive government, which will always listen to the concerns, and prioritize the needs, of our entire village family.

In that regard, many residents believe that the Village of Lancaster is in need of a candidate who is entirely independent of the same old retreaded elitists, who are actually two sides of the same coin. After great thought, I believe I am that man.

That sounds like Mr. Lista’s write-in vote would be one for change, that he was the polar opposite of a two-candidate race where both candidates appear tied to Mayor Ruda’s apron strings; appearing to have vested interests in following the status quo, the best interests of her and a favored developer.

But who is Joe Lista? He has presented no agenda, nothing thus far to earn anyone’s trust or vote. The same can be said of the other two candidates.

At least here we do know that Lista has openly petitioned for a write-in vote, unlike the recent Town of Lancaster election where he received write-in votes for Town Supervisor and Town Council. How did that happen? Who put his name out there? With his approval, a supposed Conservative?

Hopefully, we will hear from Mr. Lista as to what makes him different when several residents claim his Facebook friends are the same individuals aligned to maintaining the status quo. Is this but another Trojan Horse meant to influence an election outcome by taking votes away from a particular candidate?

A lot of shady things have taken place in the Village of Lancaster over the years that have been kept from the residents. They need to be exposed so the residents can keep their administrators accountable and the village thriving in the best interest of the residents.

We need to hear from all three candidates. They are running to fill the slot of a Trustee who resigned because of ethical improprieties and so far, not one word about it.

We need to hear from all three candidates. They are running to fill the slot of a Trustee who resigned because of ethical improprieties and so far, not one word about it.
    Lee,

Since these candidates all seem rather shy about presenting their full, unambiguous proposals and concerns, I'll throw this novel idea out for consideration.

With under two weeks left in the campaign, I wonder if these candidates would be open to a three-way debate, perhaps sponsored by the Lancaster Bee, or by some social media site like Speak Up?

That would be one way to smoke these guys out, eh?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 7th, 2024 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Lee,

Since these candidates all seem rather shy about presenting their full, unambiguous proposals and concerns, I'll throw this novel idea out for consideration.

With under two weeks left in the campaign, I wonder if these candidates would be open to a three-way debate, perhaps sponsored by the Lancaster Bee, or by some social media site like Speak Up?

That would be one way to smoke these guys out, eh?
    ALSO LEE,

Would that Mr. Lista provide his agenda proposals. Residents and visitors who frequent the village shopping, dining, etc. would like his take on issues that afflict the village – infrastructure, roads, traffic, etc. Some people are not pleased with the roundabouts – roundabouts undersized where vehicles travel 20 mph, don’t slow down and are a hazard. Trucks are unable to maneuver and drive upon the roundabout structures as well.

I frequent 3 businesses on West Main Street and have to circle the street to find close parking, restricted walking because of a serious back issue. No handicap parking is provided. The green energy program is laudable but is offset by the village’s open bottle and accepting marijuana policies.

Wish the candidates would weigh in on issues that exist, not pontificate on improvements made and of no consequence to the residents. Where is that EV charging station and who does it serve? Why is one developer favored in the village’s developing scheme?
    Another idea: Perhaps the candidates who stand in opposition to the Ruda administration could do voice-over Facebook videos, showing in real time the limited parking issue(s) present in the village; and

A video taken of the eastern-most roundabout, illustrating its potential hazards, focusing on the dangers that they may pose to bicyclists, pedestrians, and more specifically, to the more challenged residents of the Lancaster Towers; and

A video taken of the Aurora Street roundabout which purportedly was constructed over a sinkhole, as well as other areas of resident concerns.

This election is not about the candidates and their fortunes, but about the safety of VOL residents, their way of life, and their tax dollars, eh?

Just my unsolicited two cents.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 7th, 2024 at 11:15 AM.

Imagine a future without local news

Bee Editorial
    March 07, 2024

"Local news matters. Studies show that when a community loses its source of local news, it experiences decreased voter turnout and civic engagement; increased municipal borrowing costs that lead to higher taxes; and decreased transparency among government and business officials, leading to increased waste, fraud and abuse."
    Just My Opinion:

Seriously?

Here in the Village of Lancaster, a village trustee recently resigned, apparently for reasons relating to the ethical direction that the Lancaster Village Board was/is taking.

Regrettably, the Bee seems to have demonstrated a significant lack of journalistic curiosity in order to more fully investigate the resignation matter.

On March 19, 2024, there will be a special election to fill that trustee's seat.

To the best of my knowledge, the Bee has not fully pursued the unanswered questions that the resignation raised, nor has it queried the current three candidates as to their thoughts on the matter. After all, the resignation and its attending issues are the very reasons why a special election is being held on March 19.

Regarding its own limited of coverage of those issues, the Bee may have indeed proven the wisdom of its own observation, because on the full matter of the special election, many Bee subscribers feel that Lancaster has lost "its source of local news."

Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...ut-local-news/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 7th, 2024 at 05:10 PM.

Mark and Lee and readers,

All of the different proposals each of you have offered make sense, period! But I suggest the new write in candidate could simply state his feelings about Mayor Ruda and her far left progressive leanings in all things concerning government and its purpose. He could assure the voters of his allegiances to whom ever. He could state exactly what his first official act will be.

Let's see what he does. History has shown a trend toward your worry Lee, that this man may be a trojan horse candidate but history also shows some really good people took that path of a write-in. One name that came up when I looked was Robert Thill, long time and highly respected past town clerk I believe.

So, I think this is all in the hands of Mr. Lista, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    Mark and Lee and readers,

All of the different proposals each of you have offered make sense, period! But I suggest the new write in candidate could simply state his feelings about Mayor Ruda and her far left progressive leanings in all things concerning government and its purpose. He could assure the voters of his allegiances to whom ever. He could state exactly what his first official act will be.

Let's see what he does. History has shown a trend toward your worry Lee, that this man may be a trojan horse candidate but history also shows some really good people took that path of a write-in. One name that came up when I looked was Robert Thill, long time and highly respected past town clerk I believe.

So, I think this is all in the hands of Mr. Lista, IMHO
    Mr. Thill and former Supervisor Dino Fudoli were successful write-in candidates – in the Town of Lancaster and by individuals with recognition and agendas. Mr. Lista received a smattering of write-in votes in the recent town election. Few people are even aware of that, and one must wonder how that came about when anyone I speak to never heard of him.

Mr. Lista at the 11th hour puts out a correspondence announcing his candidacy through a write-in path, has already been given an opportunity to receive public exposure, denied that opportunity, leaving no reason to believe we will hear further from him. His continued silence will attest he is nothing more than a Trojan Horse – a spoiler.

We also have good reason to believe that Mr. Santoro just received an endorsement from Mayor Ruda when in today’s Lancaster Bee she not only pontificated on her behalf for the Village’s incredible work, but that the Village is thriving because of the dedicated work of her Trustees – one of them being Dave Santoro, a Ruda disciple, up for re-election.

Mayor Ruda’s Bee editorial

The current sitting board members put in a tremendous amount of time, devoting themselves to ensuring that decisions are made in the best interest of this community. With this board, I have seen an incredible increase in board members attending work sessions, public meetings, NY Forward meetings and scheduling meetings within their committees to keep this village moving forward. I hope that our community members recognize that, as our village continues to transform, it is not a result of good luck. It is a result of five people working tirelessly, alongside department heads and community committees. Our growth is a result of board members being active at the table, being informed and coming prepared to meetings.

Our board is comprised of five individuals, each with their own viewpoints and there is a mutual respect among our board members that even when we disagree or have a different opinion, we know that we will be treated respectfully. I commend my colleagues on the board for their courage and tenacity. It is not an easy job to manage all the responsibilities expected of a board member, and I have seen each of our board members go above and beyond, regularly. A heartfelt thank you to village Deputy Mayor and Trustee Cyndi Maciejewski, Trustee Tammie Malone-Schaefer, Trustee John Mikoley and Trustee Dave Santoro.

The real challenger in the mix is former Village Mayor Bill Schroeder who so far has offered nothing more than a mollified campaign, straddling a line of appeasement to ensure offending no one. I cringe when I hear people say, “but he’s a nice guy.” Being a nice guy doesn’t come along with leadership skills and the ability to act in the best interest of a community.

Until such time livestreaming Village meetings are established, Mayor Ruda can reflect on all that’s been accomplished in her term (and in her opinion) without challenge.

The real challenger in the mix is former Village Mayor Bill Schroeder who so far has offered nothing more than a mollified campaign, straddling a line of appeasement to ensure offending no one...

Until such time livestreaming Village meetings are established, Mayor Ruda can reflect on all that’s been accomplished in her term (and in her opinion) without challenge.
    If handled with principled passion, this campaign could be a substantive, hard-hitting and exciting referendum on the current direction of the village and the Ruda administration, which could then pave the way for real change in 2025, but so far it is pathetic.

To date, if these three candidates self-identified themselves as "I am a Lynne Ruda supporter" on the old television game show "To Tell The Truth," the actual substance of their public comments would not reveal the two imposters.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 8th, 2024 at 08:34 AM.

In reading former Village of Lancaster’s mayor William Schroeder’s campaign mailer, I was disappointed to see a lack of firm commitment to support livestreaming its meetings – a true stance of bringing real openness and transparency to a municipality badly in need of it.

To state: Technology and communication should be expanded for our residents is nothing more than empty campaign rhetoric. No specificity by Schroeder presenting this race not as a three-man race with different visions and agendas, but one of whoever wins is willing to be Mayor Ruda’s lapdog. Santoro and Lista have given every indication of being Ruda devotees.

Grow a set, Bill!

In reading former Village of Lancaster’s mayor William Schroeder’s campaign mailer, I was disappointed to see a lack of firm commitment to support livestreaming its meetings – a true stance of bringing real openness and transparency to a municipality badly in need of it.

To state: Technology and communication should be expanded for our residents is nothing more than empty campaign rhetoric. No specificity by Schroeder presenting this race not as a three-man race with different visions and agendas, but one of whoever wins is willing to be Mayor Ruda’s lapdog. Santoro and Lista have given every indication of being Ruda devotees.

Grow a set, Bill!
    It is sad, but in my opinion, this race will come down to a personal friendship turn-out, Lee.

I urge those who support a candidate that may hold the promise of opposition to Ruda, to vote their conscience.

I can only trust if such a candidate prevails, the candidate will use its position as a bully pulpit, in order to bring about tangible change, especially in the areas of public safety and transparency. That may set the stage for the election of a new VOL mayor in 2025.

Just my two cents, Mr. C.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 17th, 2024 at 01:51 PM.

Schroeder's campaign style aside, I have lived in the same house on the same street for nearly seventy years, and if there is one thing that concerns me is how the northside of the village always seems to be ignored by the elitists in the village.

Tomorrow is election day, and it is now near mid-day on Election Day Eve, and once again, the northside, aka the old Second Ward, appears to have been ignored.

In fact, as far as I know, the incumbent Trustee has never touched base with those on my street. Shameful!

Are the voices of northside residents irrelevant to the apparent Ruda-backed candidate?

To the best of my knowledge, the only candidate that has been on my street to campaign and listen to our concerns was Bill Schroeder.

In a campaign where the positions of the candidates in opposition to Ruda are so perplexing to me, the interest of Schroeder in the people of the northside was the tipping point, again strictly for me.

Therefore, both my wife and myself WILL BE casting our vote for our former Mayor, Bill Schroeder.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 18th, 2024 at 11:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information