Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Three- Way Race For Village of Lancaster Trustee

I am hearing that the Village of Lancaster Trustee election wound up in a tie:

Schroeder - 268
    Santoro - 268

It goes back to the county.

Lista 'the write-in candidate' received but 40 votes. I am surprised he received that many as he deserved none for entering so late and having no true agenda - except to be a spoiler, and that he may have been.

There are many village residents voicing their concern about the direction of the Village and its needs. They are not fooled by Mayor Ruda's enchantment with the West Main Street development being the wherewithal and where certain people were picked winners over others.

Waiting to hear a Villager's perspective as Schroeder should have kicked butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Waiting to hear a Villager's perspective as Schroeder should have kicked butt.
    I am hearing the exact same thing Lee.

I will have much more comment tomorrow, but at this late hour, I wish to make two points.

(1) I think that the Special Election sent two rather unmistakable messages, one to Lynne Ruda and another to Bill Schroeder. To Lynne Ruda, the message was that 54% of the voters, a decisive majority, rejects your bat**** crazy far left-wing and pro-developer agendas. To Bill Schroeder, the voters' message was simply "Stand in opposition to Ruda, by loudly standing-up for us."

(2) In my opinion, since there appears to be a tie vote, I must dully note that the two votes of my household apparently created some political chaos, kept Schroeder's campaign alive, and at least for now, seems to have deprived the purported Ruda candidate of a victory.

Just think of it Ruda people, two little votes from two rather tiny, common, ordinary people, "from the wrong side of the tracks" to boot, did all of that. Irritating, ain't it?

Nevertheless, take heart, because we all eventually learn that sometimes in life, we don't get our way, eh Mayor?

On a personal note, my wife and I dedicate our efforts yesterday to our very dear friend Tyler Sojka, whose strong, principled courage will undoubtedly pave the way for a much better Village of Lancaster. As Bogart said, "Here's looking at you kid."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 02:01 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Lista 'the write-in candidate' received but 40 votes. I am surprised he received that many as he deserved none for entering so late and having no true agenda - except to be a spoiler, and that he may have been.
    Lee,

Of course Lista was a factor in this tie, presumably taking votes from Schroeder. However, the 7% showing may have been impactful, but was probably not the decisive element. I suggest the decisive factor in the tie, just may reside with the tactical and strategic aspects of the Schroeder campaign.

I truly believe that Schroeder is a very likable, well respected, and well-experienced former mayor and trustee, who was challenging a recently appointed, previously unknown incumbent. That incumbent's very brief record pretty much reflected his lock-step support for a rather radical and controversial incumbent mayor.

As such, I am of the opinion in a two-way race with Santoro, Schroeder should have decisively defeated him, and done so by far more than the forty votes that Lista garnered.

Assuming that the mandatory recount changes nothing, there will be a run-off, presumably sans write-ins. In anticipation of that vote, and without intending to inflict any pain whatsoever on my friend Schroeder, isn't it time that the former mayor look inward to identify some tactical, perhaps even strategic, flaws in his most recent campaigns?

Tuesday's election, should have never been so close as to make this Lista's 40 votes a game-changing, near-fatal factor, just my two cents Lee.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 08:12 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Official Election Update...

The vote, pending recanvas, now reflects a 248-248 tie,
    and thirty (30) write-in votes.

Click on image to enlarge:

Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 10:12 AM.

... Schroeder should have kicked butt.
    Indeed!

Just My Opinion:

Immediately following last week's Bee article dealing with Lista's campaign, Schroeder could have, and in my opinion should have, quickly and hardly dispatched the Lista write-in campaign.

Schroeder could have easily exploited a glaring contradiction which separated Lista's March 5 announcement from Lista's comments in that March 14, 2024 Bee article.

(Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...eeperson-race/)

While his March 5 announcement stated "Please rest assured that as Trustee, I will put the needs and concerns of the residents of our great village FIRST," in an apparent interview published in the Bee, Lista related:

"Regarding the roundabouts and some of the divided opinions from residents about them, Lista said it’s not something he intends to challenge. 'Everyone has their gripes on the speeding through the roundabouts. That’s not going to go away, because that’s just people ignoring their surroundings.' ”
    Is not excessive vehicular speed, in a roundabout near a senior housing facility not a safety issue, and is not safety a "need" or a "concern" of the village residents?

If such is not a "need" or "concern," what on Earth is?

Furthermore, didn't Lista suggest that the safety concern nothing more than a mere gripe, and seemingly was of no consequence to him because Lista "said it’s not something he intends to challenge" ?

Even more troubling, didn't Lista strongly suggest that the speed dangers in the roundabouts were actually the fault of those elderly, disabled, and young people who were "ignoring their surroundings"?

What a campaign target, eh?

Schroeder may have immediately destroyed the Lista write-in campaign with a widely circulated Facebook post noting both Lista's campaign contradiction and his reckless words suggesting an indifference to public safety, and then promptly return to a two-man race, but he did not.

Why not?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 11:24 AM.

MARK

A couple of things are apparent to me from the result of last night's election. The first is Mr. Lista's attempt at gaining a seat on the board of the VOL was ill contrived at best. But that does not make it something to forget about. The mere fact that some realativily unknown persona can effect an election should say it all. The residents are split on which way the Village should be headed into the future. With a little leg work and comunication skill a candidate can change the far left State influenced progressive agenda the present mayor imposes unto the citizens while they sleep. A new unconnected person from the VOL who has ALL of the village in mind as a represenative of their wishes can get the voters out. It has been done in the recent past by a Mr. Sojka when he just that. After being elected by over 700 votes he was seated only to learn of the conflicts of interest and shady dealings that were covered up by newly elected Mayor Ruda. Stepping down in protest to a Sweeney influenced board was laudable and he appears to be the ONLY one with the moral perpatude to be no part of it. Kudos to you sir

My second observation is that Mr. Schroeder has no chance of beating Mayor Ruda's hand picked candidate standing on such a weak platform. A savy politition would reconize that in order to beat your opponent you HAVE to deliniate a difference between you and them. Mr. Schroeder has plenty of ammo to use but he does not. Whomever is managing his campaign should be shown the door.

If Schoeder wants to win the mayoral race in 25' he better start now. But again I have NO faith in his ability to change. I am also of the mind that the sooner he gets out of the way a new person WILL arise to take on the Sweeney Village Board.

Mr. Santoro is a Ruda protoge and will do her bidding from now until the next election. They both belong to Sweeney. I am not sure if Mr. Schroeder is not also a Sweeney loyalist. It sure appears from records he was all in on the phoney sale and good with proping up a faulty Sweeney company time and time again. It sure looks like from records he was find with the conflict of interest going on all around him and his administration.

Let's get this over and watch how the future unfolds for this tainted Ruda administration and their largest political supportor Tom Sweeney, present committeeman for the Lancaster Democrat Party.

Mark:

Why I am interested in the Village election and just my opinion.

I am a Town of Lancaster resident who spends a lot of time and money in the Village, and a ‘blank’ (unaffiliated registered voter) to boot.

As happened in the town over the past few years I am watching the Ruda administration implode as did the Democratic machine in the town.

Village residents are seeing through the miasma and hyperbole of an administration that favors the best interest of ‘special interests’ over that of the residents, Hopefully Schroeder represents a change that residents favor and is in their best interest. I suspect Schroder was testing the waters for an upcoming 2025 mayoral rematch. Santoro being Ruda’s surrogate lapdog gave an informative read.

Schroeder should have upgraded his campaign strategy by being more aggressive in identifying his agenda of change that favors the community’s best interest, and what did not work since Ruda’s time in office. If Schroeder has a campaign manager he should give serious thought to making a change.

As for Lista, receiving only 30 write-in votes (5.7% of total votes, it had little (if any) impact on the outcome considering most of those votes came from family and friends. The voting community was not misled by his late campaign entry and feckless talking points.

The Village has more pressing needs than focusing on the accomplishments of a development of the business district with specialty shops, upscale apartment rentals, and lack of handicap parking for residents of age and/or people with disabilities. And yes, the roundabouts were ill-conceived and unsafe.

Comment

How uncanny is that? Just read GC's post while posting mine. Seems like we are on the same page. Grow a set, Mr. Schroeder, the Village needs change! There is a fox in the hen house!

Hopefully Schroeder represents a change that residents favor and is in their best interest.

(1)
    I believe that Bill Schroeder truly represents that change, but with far more specificity, he needs to tell the broad mass of voters just that. That is why I publicly endorsed him on Monday.

I suspect Schroder was testing the waters for an upcoming 2025 mayoral rematch. Santoro being Ruda’s surrogate lapdog gave an informative read.
    (2) It would seem that Schroeder has committed himself to a 2025 run for mayor, a win or no win in the late odd election. From the February 15, 2024 Lancaster Bee:

“I’d like to see what they [the board] have been doing over the last three years,” said Schroeder, quickly adding that he intends to run for mayor, regardless of the results for the partial term as trustee. “It’s really hard to have a clue what the village board is doing.
    Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/pagevie...4-02-15#page=1

Schroeder should have upgraded his campaign strategy by being more aggressive in identifying his agenda of change that favors the community’s best interest...If Schroeder has a campaign manager he should give serious thought to making a change.
    I agree 100% with you Mr. C.

As for Lista, receiving only 30 write-in votes (5.7% of total votes, it had little (if any) impact on the outcome considering most of those votes came from family and friends.
    (3) I am extremely grateful that you made this observation Lee, because the common perception out there is that Lista pulled from Schroeder almost exclusively, and I do not necessarily agree.

My best guess is given the insignificant number of the write-ins, at this time 30, many of those votes may have been from Lista family and friends, who may not have had a previous horse in the race, and held no strong opinion on either candidate. Their sole purpose for voting may have been to just help him out, personally.

Besides, who knows, Lista may have actually pulled votes from Santoro, if those family or friends were more predisposed to vote for a liberal agenda?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 03:38 PM.

Lee
    I am glad we are on the same page on this issue because I take it as certification of my observations. You are a well followed source of factual information for the local residents and I for one have taken particular notice of your uncanny history for being right on many important concerns.

With that said, I wondered after reading your comparisons of the Ruda administration to that of the "old" democrats that ran roughshod over local politics for many long years, if that very system is alive and well presently. I refer to the cards that showed up at village homes on the last days of the campaign to get out the vote for Mr. Santoro that had no identifying information on them that is required by the Board of Elections. Do you have any thoughts concerning that Lee? I ask not as a challenge for an answer, but only that I question how much Mr. Sweeney will put his weighted finger on the next election scale and I have regard for your view.

Mark, your neighborhood was one of the targeted was it not?

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    Lee...

I wondered after reading your comparisons of the Ruda administration to that of the "old" democrats that ran roughshod over local politics for many long years, if that very system is alive and well presently. I refer to the cards that showed up at village homes on the last days of the campaign to get out the vote for Mr. Santoro that had no identifying information on them that is required by the Board of Elections...?

Mark, your neighborhood was one of the targeted was it not?
    GC, my home did not rate a personal campaign visit, but it was graced with what we now use as a dust pan. Is this the item to which you refer?

Click on the images to enlarge:

Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 04:53 PM.

Mark
    Thanks for the picture. I wonder how many went out and who produced them. Looking back at the mode of operation the old Dems used before it doesn't surprise me they would skirt the election laws to get their way.

As I recall there was a fellow named Greg White had his picture show up on a mailer on villagers doorstep with no identifiable party affiliation or political information to affect an ongoing election.
    Nothing was ever done about that but it doesn't mean it could have been bad for whomever was involved.What I do know is there is precedent for action to be taken should someone start the ball rolling. please see the article below

County Dems pay $10K for election law violations
    November 30, 2022

by CHITRA SELVARAJ Editor (https://www.kentonbee.com/author/by+...ELVARAJ+Editor)

The Erie County Democratic Committee paid $10,000 in settlement last month, in response to a complaint filed in October 2021, alleging that Erie County Democratic Committee and the City of Tonawanda Democratic Committee disseminated campaign materials via direct mail that lacked the "Paid for by" attribution in violation of NYS Elec
    tion Law section 14-106. Ron Walker, Chairman of the City
    […] (https://www.kentonbee.com/articles/c...aw-violations/)

Does Mayor Ruda and her biggest political supporter Tom Sweeney feel they are above the election laws?

Mr. Santoro you have some explaining to do. The Lancaster Democrat Party and Monica have some explaining to do.

Mr. Schoeder, if you really want to serve the people, the time is now. If this Ruda/Sweeney administration will dismiss election law they certainly will cross any line to accomplish their plan.

[SIZE=2]MARKThe first is Mr. Lista's attempt at gaining a seat on the board of the VOL was ill contrived at best. But that does not make it something to forget about. The mere fact that some realativily unknown persona can effect an election should say it all.
    GC,

I'll respectfully and conditionally object to your terminology as to the word "contrived."

To me, that particular word suggests something that was premeditatively created to deliberately give a false impression, or otherwise suit a diversionary purpose. Based on the mere thirty write-in votes that were cast, presumably for Lista, I am open to the strong possibility that his candidacy may have been one of a simple vanity purpose, perhaps resulting from challenge by friends or family.

But to your more substantive point, as I have previously state, it is my belief the tie vote dilemma hold's two messages. The message for the apparent Ruda-backed candidate, suggests to me that a decisive 53% of the village residential voters do not approve of the Ruda agenda, nor are they satisfied with the current direction of the village. The message for Schroeder perhaps reflects a repairable disenchantment regarding his near-stealth campaign.

To Mayor Schroeder, I would say as a candidate, currently you have the temperament, the experience, and the public's desire for change on your side.

IMHO, if you are bold, and loudly let the residents know that you share their concerns; if you offer them some remedies; if you clearly define your opponent; if you offer them alternatives and not stagnation, and if you enthusiastically present yourself as a calming replacement for the divisive tensions that Ruda's ultra-left agenda continues to bring to our village, you just may see those numbers sore in your next campaign.

For Heaven's sake, I can't tell you just how many people say they want to vote for you, only if there was some sign of life. Please, stop approaching this campaign with your rather flawed, uninspiring, low-key soft-sell strategy, because I truly believe the future overall well of the village directly depends on the extent of your ambitious outreach.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 06:13 PM.

A new unconnected person from the VOL who has ALL of the village in mind as a represenative of their wishes can get the voters
    Indeed GC, but who?

I had my haircut today from a local barber, a non-resident, but a business person who contributes much to the village. You might call the barber an "unconnected person." Its insights were profound, its vision was inspiring, and its wishes were sincere, but to the current trend in the village, its outlook was truly pessimistic. As he pontificated, my mind focused on a phrase which echoed and re-echoed, "only if."

Who indeed, GC?

It has been done in the recent past by a Mr. Sojka when he just that. After being elected by over 700 votes he was seated only to learn of the conflicts of interest and shady dealings that were covered up by newly elected Mayor Ruda. Stepping down in protest to a Sweeney influenced board was laudable and he appears to be the ONLY one with the moral perpatude to be no part of it. Kudos to you sir."
    Very well and accurately stated, GC.

My second observation is that Mr. Schroeder has no chance of beating Mayor Ruda's hand picked candidate standing on such a weak platform. A savy politition would reconize that in order to beat your opponent you HAVE to deliniate a difference between you and them. Mr. Schroeder has plenty of ammo to use but he does not.
    I will repeat my comments on post #27:

"IMHO, if you are bold, and loudly let the residents know that you share their concerns; if you offer them some remedies; if you clearly define your opponent; if you offer them alternatives and not stagnation, and if you enthusiastically present yourself as a calming replacement for the divisive tensions that Ruda's ultra-left agenda continues to bring to our village, you just may see those numbers sore in your next campaign."
    Whomever is managing his campaign should be shown the door.
    That is a classic example of tough love.

Mr. Santoro is a Ruda protoge and will do her bidding from now until the next election. They both belong to Sweeney. I am not sure if Mr. Schroeder is not also a Sweeney loyalist. It sure appears from records he was all in on the phoney sale and good with proping up a faulty Sweeney company time and time again. It sure looks like from records he was find with the conflict of interest going on all around him and his administration.
    I stand by my comment:

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Indeed, if the vine of the dealings was truly tainted, it may have produced some very poisonous fruit, and all nourished by that fruit should be cast out of the garden of the public trust.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 20th, 2024 at 08:50 PM.

"If enough people tell you that you're drunk, maybe its time to sit down"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    In anticipation of that vote, and without intending to inflict any pain whatsoever on my friend Schroeder, isn't it time that the former mayor look inward to identify some tactical, perhaps even strategic, flaws in his most recent campaigns?
    A savy politition would reconize that in order to beat your opponent you HAVE to deliniate a difference between you and them. Mr. Schroeder has plenty of ammo to use but he does not. Whomever is managing his campaign should be shown the door.
    How uncanny is that? Just read GC's post while posting mine. Seems like we are on the same page. Grow a set, Mr. Schroeder, the Village needs change! There is a fox in the hen house!

I repeat this one too, "For Heaven's sake, I can't tell you just how many people say they want to vote for you, only if there was some sign of life. Please, stop approaching this campaign with your rather flawed, uninspiring, low-key soft-sell strategy, because I truly believe the future overall well being of the village directly depends on the extent of your ambitious outreach."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 21st, 2024 at 08:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information