Thread: The Bee: Burkard receives Lt. Col. rank in Air Force Reserves

The Bee: Burkard receives Lt. Col. rank in Air Force Reserves

Burkard receives Lt. Col. rank in Air Force Reserves

February 22, 2024

by JAMES SINNER Editor

Mark Burkhard stands in a KC135 Stratotanker aircraft while doing a heat index study on airmen. Contributed photo

In today’s world, with no shortage of complex geopolitical issues, now is a time when serving your community or country can make a real impact. Town of Lancaster Councilmember Mark Burkard has committed himself to both, and just recently, he was promoted to the rank of Lt. Col. in the Air Force Reserves.

“I always wanted to join, and I did it later in life,” said Burkard. “My uncles, my dad – they were in the Air Force, Navy and Army.”

After 13 years in the reserves, Burkard, who has a background in nursing and medical technologies, has responded to both crises at home and abroad, assisting with medical operations downstate during COVID-19, and while stationed in Qatar during 2016.

In New York City and the surrounding area, helping with the COVID-19 response before the development of a vaccine, Burkard aided in treating patients at varying medical stations, including at the Javits Center, which transformed into a massive temporary hospital during the initial months of the outbreak.

In Qatar, Burkard was stationed in preparation of soldiers being evacuated from the Middle East for medical ailments and bodily injuries.

“We are the last stop you see before you go to a higher level of care,” Burkard said. “They’ll come in from the theater [of battle] – say they’re injured – they’ll go to surgery and then come to us, and then they [Burkard’s unit] prepare evacuation missions.” This would make Burkard and his unit responsible for keeping patients stable as they make their way to air transport headed for Europe, where soldiers can receive the highest quality of care available.

Ready for deployment at a moment’s notice, Burkard and his unit frequently train at the Niagara Falls Air Force Base, rehearsing scenarios they may face in the field. According to Burkard, you have to be on your toes for unforeseen medical issues from an incoming patient. Even if already given an initial round of treatment, Burkard said, “The next 48 hours are critical, because that’s where you can start to see the signs of lung issues and internal injuries, but it takes time, and those are the things you need to know how to look for.” He and his unit train to monitor the affects stemming from incidents like head trauma, gunshot wounds and explosive blasts.

“This promotion, it’s really not just mine, is the way I look at it,” Burkard said. “It’s the people who you supervise, who you deploy with, who mentored you.”

Burkard says being part of an organization like the Air Force Reserve instills a sense of patriotism and commitment to your community and country. He also said it’s a great way to build a skill set and find an industry that suits you. “We are always looking on the nursing side,” he said.

When asked why serving the public was important to Burkard, both in his role as a councilmember and reserve soldier, Burkard said, “It just seems to draw me in.”

Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...orce-reserves/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 22nd, 2024 at 09:55 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Thread Information