Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Grove-what is the plan to revitalize?

Cedar Grove-what is the plan to revitalize?

I recently dropped off a friend in the Cedar Grove neighborhood in North Cheektowaga (Harlem/Maryvale). This was the 1st time I was in the community in 20+ years and was shocked how dilapitated parts of the neighborhood are. I think the town needs to start buying up the 4 unit apartments as they go up for sale, and knock them down. Putting up single houses in their place would make the area more stable and attractive. Having so many people live that close to each other, and basically live on top of each other, is not a healthy environment nor condusive for a strong neighborhood. Some of the landlords may be happy to give the town a deal to package several houses together in one sale at a lower price or they may even 'donate' the houses to the town for a tax write off. Those 4 units can't be an easy thing to sell as they are not very attractive. Who is looking into this neighborhood's problems and how can people help?

The problem in Cedargrove is that most of the 4-family units are owned by one person. He buys cheap and if a developer wants to buy some, he wants some outrageous amount of money for them.

There is an organized community group there and they are vigilant in working with the housing inspector and town board members. If they didn't, the neighborhood would be a real hell hole.

The town does not have the money to buy up properties, tear them down and build new homes.

A few years ago there was a developer with a very aggressvie plan to tear down everything and rebuild the neighborhood. It was just too aggressive for the people living there and the plan fell through.

If you have any ideas, post them here. I would love to get some fresh ideas. Oh, by the way, I live in Cedargrove, so that's how I know so much about it.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

The town does not have the money to buy up properties, tear them down and build new homes.

A few years ago there was a developer with a very aggressvie plan to tear down everything and rebuild the neighborhood. It was just too aggressive for the people living there and the plan fell through.

If you have any ideas, post them here. I would love to get some fresh ideas. Oh, by the way, I live in Cedargrove, so that's how I know so much about it.[/QUOTE]

I remember that plan the developer had a few years ago, and agree it was too aggresive. Do you know if that developer is still interested in doing something on a smaller scale?

I thought I read the town was going to/did buy 1-2 of the 4 units or they were putting some funds aside to do this. Do you know if this ever happened?

My thought is not that the town would build new houses, but that if the land would be available from some torn down 4 units, a developer could be identified to build market rate single houses in their place. Over time, all 4 units would could be replaced with single houses in this manner. If the landlord who owns most of those 4 units doesn't want to sell for a reasonable amount, I would think the town could get after him for some building code violations. I did see 2 of then are for sale on Springfield for about $120,000 each. http://property.buffaloniagarahomes....roperty_type=3

I found another 4 unit for under 100k ($99,999):

http://wnymetro.hipidx.com/property/...roperty_type=3

I witnessed a 9-police car warrant execution when I was driving by one of them the other day. If I lived in that neighborhood I would want something to be done about these row houses.

I used to live on Glennwood.
    Why does the Town have to do something about it?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    I used to live on Glennwood.
    Why does the Town have to do something about it?
    Where are the developers with a vision?
    I would prefer that the town not get involved as the government always drags things down, but I think they may need to kick start the idea to some local developers to get it moving. I am new to Cheektowaga politics. Is the town council divided up into territories and if yes, who is the town councill rep for the Cedar grove section of the town?

Based on the pictures, the property on Elkins is in surprisingly good condition for the price. I'm not familiar with the Cedargrove neighborhood. Could it be compared to the Parkside projects area in Tonawanda based on the similarity of quadplexes, income, and crime?

I'll have to take a drive over there this afternoon and check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes
    Based on the pictures, the property on Elkins is in surprisingly good condition for the price. I'm not familiar with the Cedargrove neighborhood. Could it be compared to the Parkside projects area in Tonawanda based on the similarity of quadplexes, income, and crime?

I'll have to take a drive over there this afternoon and check things out.
    Yes, I would compare Cedar Grove to the Sheridan-parkside housing. I think they were both built as temporary housing for some war effort, and lasted much longer than planned. Here is an article about what Tonawanda is doing to get rid of the multiple unit houses. http://www.cnhins.com/houseandhome/c...033092746.html

Cedar Grove may be able to follow a similar plan. I think the neighborhood is in a great area (close to the expressway, Galleria, etc) and if there were quality single houses going up they probably would be a big draw.

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised
    I would prefer that the town not get involved as the government always drags things down, but I think they may need to kick start the idea to some local developers to get it moving. I am new to Cheektowaga politics. Is the town council divided up into territories and if yes, who is the town councill rep for the Cedar grove section of the town?
    All council seats are At-Large seats, no districts.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

cedar grove

The Cedar Grove Action group has a strong taxpayer group there. They have been working with the building inspectors to clean up the 4plexes.

They have been fighting for their area for many years over the 4plexes.

People that don't live there just look at the places 4plexes and say what a mess. When you get to know the people there, this is a tight nit community.
    This group not only will fight for there area but will fight for other areas of town also!

For to long they have been ignored! Is it because our elected officials know that they don't vote or maybe in some cases don't have much money or is it because of the 4plexes it is a transited area!

Our elected officials brain storm was to tear all the houses down including the 4plexes and build expensive new homes. A new source of tax money for our community.

We would have displaced these people! What reason would we do that!

We would have given them fair market value for there house, but where would they have gone. The new houses that they were going to build would have taken care of the upper level of taxpayers. What right as a society do we have to do that?

I think the real answer lie with our elected officials. What have they done to solve the issue? Tear down there homes and relocate them in another town. The real problem is that there needs to be put into place an ordinance that gets these people into court to fix the problems quick. This town board has the ability to do this but hasn't at all!

Drive through all of North Cheek that borders Buffalo. What has our board done over the last 10 years to take care of all the vacant houses. Thank God our judges have taken upon themselves to crack down on these owners of the 4plexes.

I guess on a positive note at least we have an ordinance in place for our garbage to be in cans instead of bags on the lawn. Great job!!!!!

[QUOTE=cheek res] Our elected officials brain storm was to tear all the houses down including the 4plexes and build expensive new homes. A new source of tax money for our community.

I don't think anyone would mind tearing down the 4units do you? The single houses around the 4 units are a nice neighborhood, just the 4 units have to go. If you do it slowly, people can find new places to live over time and if any of those 4 units are owner occupied they could buy the new single house that goes in its place. I don't know if it will work in this neighborhood, but Cheektowaga needs a neighborhood with $200-300k houses so that people have options to live in this town and not have to go to Clarence if you want/can afford a better house.

[QUOTE=bornandraised]
    Quote Originally Posted by cheek res
    Our elected officials brain storm was to tear all the houses down including the 4plexes and build expensive new homes. A new source of tax money for our community.

I don't think anyone would mind tearing down the 4units do you? The single houses around the 4 units are a nice neighborhood, just the 4 units have to go. If you do it slowly, people can find new places to live over time and if any of those 4 units are owner occupied they could buy the new single house that goes in its place. I don't know if it will work in this neighborhood, but Cheektowaga needs a neighborhood with $200-300k houses so that people have options to live in this town and not have to go to Clarence if you want/can afford a better house.

From what I am told the owner of the 4plexes are starting to take some down and replace them with new duplexes. If true that is a good start! We do have houses valued in the 2 to 3 hundred thousand range in S cheek. The taxes or killers though.

[QUOTE=cheek res]
    Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised

From what I am told the owner of the 4plexes are starting to take some down and replace them with new duplexes. If true that is a good start! We do have houses valued in the 2 to 3 hundred thousand range in S cheek. The taxes or killers though.
    Yes, that would be a good start. I just wish I knew who to talk to to move this idea forward more quickly. I guess I should start with a town council member or do you think it would be the Cedargrove home owners association? OneEmerald - do you know if the association has a website or contact person? Thanks,

[QUOTE=bornandraised]
    Quote Originally Posted by cheek res

Yes, that would be a good start. I just wish I knew who to talk to to move this idea forward more quickly. I guess I should start with a town council member or do you think it would be the Cedargrove home owners association? OneEmerald - do you know if the association has a website or contact person? Thanks,
    Joan Adams is the president of the group. The board members could have reacted on this along time ago and havent. I think there response was tear it down or at least seemed that way. I think the only way to get things done is help there group get stronger so that when the group speaks they will have no choice but to listen. Just a thought!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information