Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parking for World Junior Hockey

Parking for World Junior Hockey

Want to watch Buffalo's reputation sink further? Got to pay 50 bucks to park in a lot that is normally 10. Nice way to let the world see what a great group of people we have here. Talk about a bunch of rotten apples ruining the city's reputation. Byron whatcha gonna do about it???? Where's Sam Hoyt now????????

Maybe Buffalo owes Emerson Etem an apology.

How many of those gouging lots were Carls?

Here we go with Carl again. Morons. How many weren't? The fact is whoever the greedy bastards are they are ruining whatever image this city has left. Where's Hoyt when there is a real problem? Damn grandstander!!!

The mayor is asking that the state attorney general investigate this issue. Atleast he is doing something. I say cancelling the licences of the parking lot owners should be next on the agenda!

As much as I dislike Carl, I have to say that I would be shocked if any lot that he owns or operates is among the ones that are jacking up their prices like that.

I think he's smarter than that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
    How many of those gouging lots were Carls?
    No different that government employees who gouge the non-government laborer/non-government business owner.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    The mayor is asking that the state attorney general investigate this issue. Atleast he is doing something. I say cancelling the licences of the parking lot owners should be next on the agenda!
    Were the lots full?

I am failing to understand something. Isn't this what the free market is all about? Unregulated business capitalizing on the scarcity of a certain product. City appearance / reputation be damned, business is business. Plus if parking were prohibitively expensive out of town people should be resourceful enough to find an alternative product that is less expensive. And of course, the free market will work the way it is supposed to and competition will bring down prices. There is plenty of parking in Buffalo, you could combine with several people to park somewhere else and take a cab or something. I'm sure the taxi companies were thrilled for the extra business. Sure it would be inconvenient, but I don't understand why anyone should be upset about a few parking lot owners (businesspeople) just trying to make an honest living.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    City appearance / reputation be damned, business is business.
    Same applies to what our "government" service providers do. Business is business as they look at it.

So let's just concede that businesses are trying to screw people and government agencies are trying to screw people, it's win-win in your book.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    So let's just concede that businesses are trying to screw people and government agencies are trying to screw people, it's win-win in your book.
    except in business' case you can take your business elsewhere if you feel you are being screwed. Downtown certainly doesnt have a shortage of parking

In governments case you cant.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    The difference is the business people are not monopolies, people have a choice. Government is a monopoly, only choice you have is to move from your home if you don't like it. No one is forced to park in those lots.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    The difference is the business people are not monopolies, people have a choice. Government is a monopoly, only choice you have is to move from your home if you don't like it. No one is forced to park in those lots.
    There would be monopolies if not for govt regulations.

I see where you are coming from, because we have too many govt agencies now. There are Too many administrative positions and everyone wants to blaim the guys picking up the trash and digging holes.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Parking fee furor rouses City Hall

Updated: December 30, 2010, 3:02 AM

The city parking commissioner lashed out Wednesday at operators of privately owned parking lots near HSBC Arena for charging "exorbitant" rates, while Mayor Byron W. Brown asked the state attorney general to investigate alleged "price gouging."

City officials also ended up having to explain themselves after The Buffalo News discovered that a leased, city-owned parking lot in front of the arena was charging $15 per game Tuesday, with a reduced rate of $40 for all three games.

That was despite a $15 cap for event parking at municipally owned lots.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News

Ain't this Ironic...

'exorbitant' rates, state probe is sought
    They can spend us broke and technically "play" the system to line their pockets but they want to probe parking fees.

The price is what it is and if you don't like it MOVE. That what they tell the non government laborer when we complain about taxes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information