Thread: Lancaster: That’s who we are.

Lancaster: That’s who we are.

Kudos to the town and its coordinated effort during the snowstorm and unfortunate apartment complex fire to keep its residents safe. It supports the town board’s building moratorium ’pause’ position of doing what’s best for resident best interests. It can be noted that the exuberance of all was quite obvious. A true team effort, appreciated by all.

At Monday evening’s town board meeting Supervisor Robert Leary spoke on the apartment complex fire that occurred on Robert Drive. “50 people were displaced from the apartment complex. The fire department arrived early enough to get everyone out of the building safely. OEM coordinator Ron Rozler came up with a plan to settle them at the Senior Center where Manager Mary Beth Gianna and the employees did a spectacular job of taking care of the displaced people providing shelter, food, and water. And then the Youth Bureau came over and provided all sorts of other needs – attending also to the needs of a pregnant woman. At the same time our own board members were involved. The Recreation Department provided aid, as well as people from all over. It was awe inspiring. It shows what kind of people we have in the town.”

Code Enforcement Officer Matt Fischione declared hearing the same kind of discussions; “I am hearing community; neighbors helping other neighbors. That is who we are as a town! Neighbors are helping each other out getting through the fire and the storm. That is reflected in my stormwater reports.”

Highway Department Superintendent Joh Pilato: “Huge thank you to you Supervisor Leary and the board, OEM Coordinator Rozler, Police Chief Gummo, Parks Crew Chief Stutz, my highway crew, the communication and coordination was spot on to allow us to handle the 60 inches of snow we received over a week. We all worked as one.”

Police Chief Gummo – agreed with Highway Superintendent Pilato re the excellent communication and coordination with town personnel in weathering the storm, managing the fire crisis, and keeping town residents safe.

Leary assured Pilato that his absence at the last meeting was noted as he was busy engaged in managing the storm and his and everyone’s contribution to fighting a storm that dumped 60 inches of snow over a one-week period was awe inspiring. “Tremendous work to get this town cleaned up. West Seneca can claim they had the most snow, but they only had it for one day, we had it over the entire week. A great job by all!”

Absent for medical reason Parks / Rec. Crew Chief Stutz submitted a correspondence commenting on the coordinated effort and its successful outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Kudos to the town and its coordinated effort during the snowstorm and unfortunate apartment complex fire to keep its residents safe. It supports the town board’s building moratorium ’pause’ position of doing what’s best for resident best interests. It can be noted that the exuberance of all was quite obvious. A true team effort, appreciated by all...

Code Enforcement Officer Matt Fischione declared hearing the same kind of discussions; “I am hearing community; neighbors helping other neighbors. That is who we are as a town! Neighbors are helping each other out getting through the fire and the storm. That is reflected in my stormwater reports.
    Spot on Mr. Fischone!

Lancaster residents traditionally have been noted for helping their elderly neighbors and for checking-in on their welfare, shoveling-out fire hydrants, and generally lending a helping hand to the stressed, the overburdened, and the disabled. All-in-all, a community which pridefully provides the goods and services that a government can't necessarily provide.

Those are blessings which come from the human heart, not from a government budget line or work order. I am happy that Mr. Fischione and this Leary administration recognizes them for what they are.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 7th, 2024 at 07:28 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Mark:

This is what the residents of Lancaster want to see / hear on what is taking place in their town. We have a great community to live in, a safe community with a great school system. It is our community and the residents deserve to have town / planning / zoning boards that act in their best interests – not that of developers and/or special interest groups.

It was disheartening to see less than a handful of residents at Monday evening’s meeting. No commentators at the opening public comment session on the pre-filed resolutions, no commentators at the closing public comment session. Yet less than 48 hours later there have been 70 views of the livestreamed meeting – where what you see and hear is sacrosanct. Livestreaming allows interested parties to stay involved and attend future meetings or participate by submitting written comments.

At the same time, I would hope to hear from the town board members town or committee reports on matters of interest regarding the town’s operations; more definitive resolution language explaining need and where the funding is coming from. More resident involvement and input as we are all vested in the interests of our community – our community, not developers or special interest groups.

Livestreaming allows interested parties to stay involved and attend future meetings or participate by submitting written comments.
    At the risk of sounding repetitive, I strongly believe that a decision to livestream VOL Board meetings would greatly enhance resident(s) understanding of the many issues facing the VOL.

It is just my opinion, but such a decision maybe an invaluable end run around the present secretive machinations which have been, and apparently remain, so much a part of the VOL government process.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 7th, 2024 at 09:00 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Agreed with the previous commentary. Only good things can come from increased civic engagement and awareness. I do hope others begin to care more and get involved, not only to petition against things they don't like, but to ask for things they want, need, and deserve as residents, taxpayers, parents, and community members. Hard to pin the lack of participation on any one cause, it's a strange, complicated, and stressed-out world these days and many folks have skewed priorities as a result. Voting on election day is pretty much where it stops for most people, but to me that is the bare minimum. Voting is great but citizens have to hold their public officials accountable and ensure they keep the public trust and maintain transparency. They work for us, period. Best way to do that, get involved and stay up to speed on issues. Journalism has its place in informing, but it's not a replacement for individual engagement. I could ask ten of my neighbors if they even know the name of the Town Supervisor and I doubt I'd get even a 50% correct rate. I guess some people just tune out anything and everything related to government and politics.

One comment on a meeting discussion point that I was pleasantly surprised to hear about - I think the sidewalk / walking path connection project that was mentioned is a huge step in the right direction and it's great to see the new supervisor and council members considering this. What a truly great start to work on some of these simple, quality-of-life, general community improvement type issues that have just been completely ignored or not even contemplated over the past two decades. Have we just been conditioned to accept mediocrity and the status quo for so long that the simple idea of something like this is a breath of fresh air? It certainly is to me. I hope Ed, Bob, Matt and whomever else is involved in this continue to push for it and expand the scope. It sounded like they have a good first project in mind to connect the Stonybrook neighborhood to Juniper. It's a huge benefit to all to have better walking connectivity, access to nature, a basic recreation opportunity (great for your health to go walking out in nature) and also allowing kids easier walking access to the high school without risking their lives in Pleasant View, or at least minimizing the risk by keeping them off that road as much as possible, as I understand it. Many more neighborhoods are illogically cut off from each other and can be reconnected this way.

Simple things like this can have a huge impact. Walking paths to better connect our neighborhoods, safer and quicker for pedestrians, joggers, school kids, dog walkers, might not need to use your car on nice day, everyone wins!

Thinking about this leads me back another major infrastructure problem that I hope we get some movement on. The sad fact that Aurora, William, and a few other roads throughout the town are still two-lane country roads, with open drainage ditches, no sidewalks, and in overall pretty poor shape is a mind-boggling travesty that has gone unrectified for a ridiculous amount of time. We're talking the same roads that grew up from dirt farming paths, probably got paved sometime after WWII, and are essentially the exact same roads in present day, in terms of capacity, design and usefulness, all while the population has literally quadrupled! Absolutely insane. With a big William Street improvement project hopefully coming up soon, I do hope the town takes it upon themselves and/or puts whatever pressure they can on the County to start considering long overdue improvements in what I consider to be basic, fundamental, bare-bones road infrastructure that is sorely lacking in the town. Of course more parks are needed and that's a great idea too, but let's try to get the basics down first and go from there. If they want to tackle both initiatives at the same time, go for it, but now is the time to get moving.

Livestreaming: The ultimate access to openness and transparency

Like many municipalities the Town of Lancaster has improved its access to information exponentially in recent years – with an ever-improving town website and with the advent of the town livestreaming its meetings two years ago. Where access to information was cumbersome, often expensive through FOIL, and misleading, residents have access to credible information sitting at their keyboards and have the means to address town board members with knowledge, at the same time acting with a respectful demeanor when presenting their comments.

At the same time residents should in turn expect respect from the town board, and board engagement as well. Unlike the last administration they should not be told: “We are here to listen to your comments, not engage.” After numerous years of addressing myriad boards, asking for clarification on myriad topics, I was never privy to such rebuke – especially when such admonishment was targeted to certain individuals not in agreement with the Supervisor.

Never was there a time when residents had the opportunity to see and hear firsthand their government in operation, not having to rely on another’s word or a written version. There were many times when I attended meetings and when reading a media report wondering whether I was at the same meeting.

Information is power. The town board should share information that gives its residents the ability to support it when necessary – like with the moratorium. Residents need to hear the number of calls and complaints the police answer (600 per year from just two businesses) that support their staffing and their need.

It is about what this board can do for us now, not what was done wrong in the past. Every sitting board member willingly ran for office and promised to govern in the best interest of our community. We shall see!

Never was there a time when residents had the opportunity to see and hear firsthand their government in operation, not having to rely on another’s word or a written version. There were many times when I attended meetings and when reading a media report wondering whether I was at the same meeting.
    Lee,

Not wishing to sound like a one-note singer, but especially in the aftermath of the public Covid Zoom meetings, I simply do not understand why VOL Board meetings, etc., are still not livestreamed. It seems to me that there was more transparency during the pandemic than there is currently.

Broadcasting government proceedings is not a new concept at all. The application of that idea goes back to the 1930s and 1940s when radio provided live coverage of certain Congressional sessions, and C-SPAN began to broadcast, live, televised House of Representative sessions in 1979. In a later year, C-Span extended its live televised coverage to certain Senate proceedings.

When it comes to the livestreaming of VOL Board meetings, to quote a frequent, albeit obnoxious, Speak Up commenter, "What's the big deal?"
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 8th, 2024 at 09:11 AM.

An emerging issue in the current campaign for VOL Trustee is the livestreaming of VOL Board meetings.

Bill Schroeder is running this year to fill the remaining one year of a vacated Trustee seat. I understand that this is Schroeder's position on the issue of VOL livestream:

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I have also heard, from highly credible source(s), that former Mayor Schroeder favors live streaming VOL Board meetings. For that reason alone, I will be voting for him on March 19, 2024.
    In 2025, the seats of mayor and two trustees will be on the VOL ballot for four-year terms.

Mark:

It is unfortunate that since Village of Lancaster Trustee Tyler Sojka resigned months ago there has been no strong advocate to support the Village livestreaming its meetings. Cost is certainly no issue as the town, by resolution in January 2022, allocated $11,000 for video streaming equipment, audio components and associated services. There are no annual costs. And the town livestreams its Town Board, Planning Board, Zoning Board, and LIDA meetings.

Where town Supervisor Leary (then councilmember) saw the importance and value of livestreaming all town meetings and sponsored the resolution making it happen, this proceeding appears to not be a priority on the mayor’s or board’s agenda. The mayor seems to be vested in spending taxpayer money in aiding businesses and saving the planet.

If livestreaming were possible residents would have the ability to see the spending and outcome of Mayor Ruda’s ‘Community Climate Energy’ program, as posted in the Lancaster Bee. Amy Stypa has been hired as coordinator to work in collaboration with the Climate Smart Task Force. This role is dedicated to initiatives aimed at mitigating climate change and fostering a greener, more resilient community.

Lancaster Bee Ruda editorial:

It is imperative for municipalities to take proactive measures to reduce their carbon footprint and safeguard the well-being of current and future generations.

A key task will be to develop a Government Operations Climate Action Plan, building on the previously completed Local Government Green House Gas Emissions study. The climate action plan sets goals and outlines a set of initiatives that reduce greenhouse gas emissions for municipal operations. Using the greenhouse gas emissions inventory as the foundation, the plan defines reduction targets and provides a framework for achieving those targets.

To further expand the work into the community, the next step will be the development of a Community Greenhouse Gas Inventory for both the Village and the Town of Lancaster, which will serve as a crucial tool in assessing our emissions profile and identifying areas for improvement. By conducting a thorough inventory of our community’s greenhouse gas emissions, we can pinpoint key sources of carbon pollution and develop targeted strategies to reduce our community’s environmental impact.

Quite ambitious for a mayor of a village 2.7 square miles in size with a population of 11,000, and with so many other needs.

Taxpayers deserve openness and transparency.

Lancaster Bee Ruda editorial:

It is imperative for municipalities to take proactive measures to reduce their carbon footprint and safeguard the well-being of current and future generations.
    Just a couple of questions regarding Mayor Ruda's electrifying sermon.

(1) Will the VOL DPW in the very near future, put into active service any electric dump trucks, plows, or lawnmowers?

(2) Will the VOL DPW, in the very near future, continue to use gas-powered pumps when dealing with sewer issues, or will it put into active service, electric pumps?

(3) Will the VOL, in the very near future, purchase and put into exclusive active service, electric fire trucks?

(4) Regarding the West Main Street development projects, are the new businesses and structures fully compliant with the Mayor's Green agenda, and if not, why not?

Compliance for the grassroots, but exemptions for the government and business elite, do ya think?

My Opinion:

The Mayor's fanciful lecture is one which does not take into account the fact she leads a village whose residents, for the most part, hold modest personal assets. Many VOL residents simply can't afford electric cars and other highly expensive, and in many cases highly impractical electrical devices, tools, and appliances.

Indeed, I would suggest such an advocacy is analogous to VOL Mayor in 1896, strongly urging residents to sell their horses and carriages, and then, forcibly imposing upon the village, an infrastructure to accommodate the promise of the automobile.

It seems to me the Mayor is either out of touch with the circumstances of people that she leads, or she is an ambitious political climber who is simply regurgitating Hochul/Poloncarz talking points, which reflect an ultra-Left philosophy.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 8th, 2024 at 06:55 PM.

Thread Information