Thread: Tops vs Wegmans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tops vs Wegmans

I live near both so I shop at both. Here's some of my comparisons:

1. Wegmans employees are more knowledgeable and helpful. They never say "I don't work in this department."

2. Tops' brand "generic" goods are far better than Wegmans' brand "generic" stuff. In fact, some of the Tops' brand stuff is better than the competing brand products. Wegmans generic product are always inferior.

3. Tops has tissue paper bags. They don't hold anything more than a loaf of bread without tearing. Wegmans' bags will hold a 12-pack.

4. Wegmans' generally has better prices. But Tops sells a few things Wegmans does not - for example, "Jumbo" microwave popcorn (much better than any other microwave popcorn).

5. Wegmans' specialty pizzas are far superior to Tops specialty pizzas.

6. Tops' fired chicken and whole roasted chickens are much better than Wegmans'.

I buy meat from the Broadway Market (freshest and best prices) or Sloans (best prices on lunch meat and decent produce) but if I cant get to the market or Sloans than I prefer Wegmans meats.

Tops has more sales on staples and is much more coupon friendly than Wegmans.

I prefer produce from Wegmans over Tops.
    Tops French bread is far better than Wegmans.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Wegman's has the vacuum sealed individual meats in their club packs - can't beat it!

Quote Originally Posted by SafeWNY View Post
    Wegman's has the vacuum sealed individual meats in their club packs - can't beat it!
    I wish they would give a choice in packaging. I can understand how someone who is not going to use all the chicken breast in a club pack at once would want the separated compartments, but when I buy a club pack of regular breasts for my dog it is a pain to cut the six individual sealed sections to get all 12 breast out.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeWNY View Post
    I love those vacuum packs
    can freeze them for a really long time with no freezer burn

I've found that wegmans normally has better strip steak prices than tops unless tops is having a sale on it
    but I do most of my general shopping at tops and usually stick to what's on sale and stock up on it
    the last time I checked tops had a better selection of campbells chunky soup. for example I've never seen the "Old Fashioned Potato Ham Chowder" at wegmans.
    wegmans does have a brand of bacon that I prefer, can't remember the name but it comes in a 3 pound package and is thick cut hickory smoked
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I love those vacuum packs
    can freeze them for a really long time with no freezer burn

I've found that wegmans normally has better strip steak prices than tops unless tops is having a sale on it
    but I do most of my general shopping at tops and usually stick to what's on sale and stock up on it
    the last time I checked tops had a better selection of campbells chunky soup. for example I've never seen the "Old Fashioned Potato Ham Chowder" at wegmans.
    wegmans does have a brand of bacon that I prefer, can't remember the name but it comes in a 3 pound package and is thick cut hickory smoked
    OK....you sound like my wife She says the exact same thing - right down to the bacon....we love that stuff.

I shop at both, however I prefer Tops as my regular shopping experience. I find it easier to park, the store is not packed with customers and the store is always orderly and neat.

Wegman's produce at least when I go in there is a mess, it's like a herd of customers went in there because they know a blizzard is coming. I find it hard to locate stuff, and I feel Wegman's has a different feeling when you go in there as opposed to Tops. I like Wegman's card and gift center.

Overall, I weekly shop at Tops. I actually prefer their meats over Wegman's. I have had some bad meat from there.

Sometimes I'll shop at Dash's too. It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

1. Wegmans employees are more knowledgeable and helpful. They never say "I don't work in this department."
    I've never had a problem with Tops employees, but I tend to agree that Wegmans just seem to go out of their way to go the extra mile. The young ones all just seem like "good kids."
    2. Tops' brand "generic" goods are far better than Wegmans' brand "generic" stuff. In fact, some of the Tops' brand stuff is better than the competing brand products. Wegmans generic product are always inferior.
    The only generic items I buy on a regular basis are snacks. And, I actually like Wegmans pretzels better than any other brand.
    5. Wegmans' specialty pizzas are far superior to Tops specialty pizzas.
    Have you tried Wegmans other frozen Italian foods - Eggplant, Lasagna, etc?
    I think they're all great. Except the manicoiti is only so-so.
    6. Tops' fired chicken and whole roasted chickens are much better than Wegmans'.
    You want a really good rotisserie chicken - Sam's Club are, by far and away, the best, IMO.

All other things being equal, I'll usually go to Wegamns, just because I like the atmosphere better. Although at Wegmans, I won't take the small carts - they make me feel gay.

I like the atmosphere and employees at Wegmans better. The cashiers are usually amazingly friendly. Tops has a bigger selection though. And Tops locates its stores anywhere. Wegmans seems to be afraid of the city (except for Elmwood).

And I love the mini-carts. They are the best thing since sliced bread.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    And I love the mini-carts.
    You would.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    You would.
    You know what they say... 'Shop like nobody's watching'.
    Or was it 'Dance like nobody's watching'?
    Whatever, same thing.

Wegmans has cashiers working all night. Tops (at least the one in the falls) only runs the self service checkout.

b.b.

You know what they say... 'Shop like nobody's watching'.
    That was you in the produce isle!

And I love the mini-carts. They are the best thing since sliced bread.
    I know! Right? I use them almost exclusively.

Thread Information