Thread: Tiger Mommy..

Tiger Mommy..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

What do you think? Do you think Amy Chu takes tough love too far?

I think it's a bit much but a more water downed version could work.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

I dunno ... when you are only allowed to have 2 children I think you tend to want them to succeed more. Plus, they really have no choice over there. A lot of things are mandated. I think we are comparing apples to oranges as far as civil and human rights are concerned and this, to me, would include education.
    I think the key is balance. My kids had to be involved in one thing in school and they could not quit it until the end of the school year. They had to do all of their homework. They had to do chores and they had to go outside and play. Also, it was okay to lose. Not everyone wins. If you want to win, try harder.
    Did it work? fairly much. 2 out of 3 kids are fairly successful. The third one? They're on their way

statist.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    statist.
    perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I dunno ... when you are only allowed to have 2 children I think you tend to want them to succeed more. Plus, they really have no choice over there. A lot of things are mandated. I think we are comparing apples to oranges as far as civil and human rights are concerned and this, to me, would include education.
    I think the key is balance. My kids had to be involved in one thing in school and they could not quit it until the end of the school year. They had to do all of their homework. They had to do chores and they had to go outside and play. Also, it was okay to lose. Not everyone wins. If you want to win, try harder.
    Did it work? fairly much. 2 out of 3 kids are fairly successful. The third one? They're on their way
    Excellent, You are "spot" on (quote from Lee) mesue.

She's a chinese american.

It's a bit much the way this women goes about it.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

I never made any demands on my kids. There were times when they didn't want to go to school but they DID! Son did NOT graduate but joined the Navy & got his GED there. My daughter graduated and at first pursued being a stewardess and attended a travel school in Pittsburg. However, changed her mind when she met her husband & started a family. She's gone now but I never berated her for anything she did OR my son either for that matter. I might add they always had jobs from 16 and paid their own way for just about everything except of course, they lived at home. I'm proud of the people they became!

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    She's a chinese american.

It's a bit much the way this women goes about it.
    Oh, so she's doing these things by choice. I wonder if she grew up in China?

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    I never made any demands on my kids. There were times when they didn't want to go to school but they DID! Son did NOT graduate but joined the Navy & got his GED there. My daughter graduated and at first pursued being a stewardess and attended a travel school in Pittsburg. However, changed her mind when she met her husband & started a family. She's gone now but I never berated her for anything she did OR my son either for that matter. I might add they always had jobs from 16 and paid their own way for just about everything except of course, they lived at home. I'm proud of the people they became!
    I'm sorry about your daughter.
    Your family is a good sample of America in a good way. We don't have to have everyone with a college degree. Just so long as those with the college degrees are as good as anyone in the world in their field. Same goes with any chosen field of work. Just because one is an architect, does not mean they know how to construct and vise-versa.
    Whatever happened to the value of liking what you are doing for a living?

Oh, so she's doing these things by choice. I wonder if she grew up in China?
    Right.. She is married to a non asian too.

I'm sorry about your daughter.
    Your family is a good sample of America in a good way. We don't have to have everyone with a college degree. Just so long as those with the college degrees are as good as anyone in the world in their field. Same goes with any chosen field of work. Just because one is an architect, does not mean they know how to construct and vise-versa.
    Whatever happened to the value of liking what you are doing for a living?
    Thank you mesue.
    I always worked in restaurants and always loved it. I worked for a short time at the JN Adam hospital way back in the late 50's but got pregnant with my son and had some problems so never went back. I coulda been on easy street now. NOT complaining, jes' sayin'!

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    Neighbor, your story always tugs at my heart.

Thread Information