Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna news

Board mulls personnel cuts due to contingency budget

Published:June 30, 2011, 12:00 AM

Updated: June 30, 2011, 6:31 AM

A special meeting of the Lackawanna Board of Education will be held at 6:30 p. m. today in the Superintendent’s Conference Room 202 of the McKinley Administration Building, 245 South Shore Blvd.

The board will discuss personnel cuts following the June 21 defeat of a pro-posed $45.1 million budget—the second time residents voted down a spending plan for 2011-12.

Taxpayers were informed prior to the two pollings that the contingency budget would amount to $44.1 million, a small increase over the current budget of $44 million.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool If anyone needs it......it is a good deal!

FREE DIRT/TOPSOIL (Lackawanna)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2011-06-30, 11:05AM EDT
    Reply to: sale-4mukj-2470548895@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free dirt at the curb of 292 South Shore Blvd.
    Just haul it all away!!!
    Will be adding more throughout the day...

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2470548895

Lackawanna subdivision goes begging for houses

Only one home built on 21-lot tract

By Jay Tokasz

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:July 5, 2011, 12:00 AM

Updated: July 5, 2011, 6:29 AM

Crisply paved and curbed streets that wind through large expanses of dirt are raising an obvious question in Lackawanna: Where are the new houses?

Land for the city’s first subdivision in 20 years has been cleared since 2009, and city officials have invested hundreds of thousands of tax dollars in the project off Martin Road, with the hopes of expanding the tax base and bringing new revenue to a city that desperately needs it.

A total of 21 lots ranging from $20,000 to $29,000 apiece went on the market more than a year ago. But just three of the lots have sold so far, and only one house is currently under construction.

Critics say city officials miscalculated the market by stipulating that homes in the subdivision have minimum sizes of 1,800 square feet for single-story ranches and 2,400 square feet for two-story houses.

At those sizes, some local builders say the homes would cost upward of $230,000 — three times the current median home value, which is $79,700 in Lackawanna, according to U. S. Census data.

“Should they have aimed lower? I think so, definitely,” said Denise Tomilo, who lives on Michelle Drive, a stone’s throw from the empty lots. “A lot of people say, ‘Who wants to build in Lackawanna?’ ”

Another neighbor on Michelle

Drive suggested the empty lots were emblematic of the city’s dysfunction. Besides, the city hasn’t done nearly enough to market the property, said Jeff Otremba, a longtime resident.

“To me, it’s typical Lackawanna. You come up with good ideas, but nobody follows through with it,” he said.

The homes on Michelle Drive, built in the late 1980s, were the city’s previous newest subdivision.

Those homes ranged in size from 1,100 square feet to 1,500 square feet and sold for $80,000 to $90,000, with some income-qualified homebuyers receiving state subsidies that lowered the prices by thousands of dollars. The developer, M. J. Peterson, had no trouble selling the houses, which have appreciated in value over the years.

The land off Martin Road – not far from Martin Road Elementary School — was proposed in the early 1990s as a second phase of new development, following completion of Michelle Drive.

But that phase never got off the ground.

Development wasn’t pursued again until about six or seven years ago, when the former property owner, the Lackawanna- Martin Road Housing Development Fund Corp., turned the land back over to the city, according to Mayor Norman

L. Polanski Jr. Looking to restart the project, city officials envisioned something new, exciting and different — a high-end subdivision in Lackawanna that would cater to young professionals who might otherwise build large homes in places like West Seneca or Hamburg.

At least two dozen potential buyers expressed strong interest in buying a lot at the time, and “they wanted larger houses and a bigger yard,” recalled the mayor. Some city officials even expected that they might need to institute a lottery system to sell the lots fairly.

So what happened? Some of the buyers, said Polanski, balked at the conditions of the lot sale, which included restrictions on street parking and strict timelines calling for construction to be completed within a year and a half of lot purchase.

The economy also bottomed out, and mortgages became harder to come by. “These are tough times. There’s not a lot of money out there,” Polanski said.

City Council President Chuck Jaworski cited delays in getting the project rolling. “People lost interest or may have moved on,” he said. “It just took too long, I believe, to get off the ground.”

Polanski is eager to get more homes built as quickly as possible, and he’s asked the Council to consider changing the subdivision’s land covenants to allow for smaller, more affordable homes.

“The property’s paid, but there’s a debt in our pocket because of it,” the mayor said. “We need to have this project. You can’t have these lots sitting out here, and nothing’s happening.”

The city used $832,485 from its general fund to pay for the street paving and storm sewers and so far has received $72,000 from the sale of the three lots.

Last December, Burke Homes proposed constructing 1,400-square-foot ranches and 1,800-square-foot two-story homes in exchange for being named the preferred builder in the subdivision. Burke Homes also outlined the possible availability of a $40,000 state subsidy to assist buyers of 10 of the remaining 18 lots.

Developer David Burke said he’s still interested in the project, but only if the home sizes are scaled down.

“In my opinion, those minimum sizes are too large,” said Burke. “The math won’t work unless you lower the square footage of the house.”

Andy Romanowski, president of Alliance Homes, which is building the house currently under construction, said that the “price point is higher than we wish it was” for a Lackawanna home.

But the lot fees were low compared with other communities, and “it’s an awesome area,” said Romanowski, who hopes to build more houses in the subdivision.

As more homes go up, others will follow, he said. “It’s got to be promoted somehow or another,” said Romanowski, adding that his firm may do some of its own marketing.

In February, the mayor asked City Council members to approve a “memorandum of understanding” between the city and Burke Homes, but the Council voted unanimously to table the measure and hasn’t considered it since.

Rather than change land covenants to allow smaller homes, the Council president said he wants to see the city be more aggressive in marketing the lots.

“There should be signs on Martin Road and maybe get a realtor involved,” Jaworski said. “I just don’t think it’s put out to the public enough.”

He said it wouldn’t be fair to the three families that already purchased their lots for the city to change plans midstream for smaller, subsidized houses.

“These people are building $300,000 homes, and the next thing you know your neighbor’s got a 1,200-square-foot ranch house that’s worth $100,000,” he said.

Besides, the sizes of the lots — the largest measuring 125 feet by 196 feet — likely would need to be downsized for smaller houses, or else the whole development would appear out of scale, Jaworski added.

Interested lot buyers from six years ago may have lost interest when the project took as long as it did to get off the ground, said Jaworski.

But Jaworski said he believes there’s still a market for upscale homes in Lackawanna that would appeal to young professionals hoping to stay in the city.

jtokasz@buffnews.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Norman's Folly! Notice that fiscally responsible Szymanski and Jaworksi both voted for this thing. Doesn't anyone notice that the other towns with a subdivision like this have better schools? Do your research gentlemen before you build!

If you are one of the 2 who paid a lot of money because of what this subdivision was supposed to be wouldn't you be pissed if the mayor said this: Polanski is eager to get more homes built as quickly as possible, and he’s asked the Council to consider changing the subdivision’s land covenants to allow for smaller, more affordable homes.

Wonder what the payback will be to the 2 if this happens?

Notice all the excuses and pass the buck mentality? That is a sign of piss poor leadership. Maybe if you cleaned up the city and maintained the infrastructure and had things for kids to do along with atleast an average ranked school system you could have sold them.

A housing development that will "cater to young professionals"??? In Lackawanna? Professional WHAT??? If I was a "young professional" who was in search of something "new, exciting and different," trust me...I'd not be searching in Lackawanna, New York!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    On June 6, 2011 at the City Council meeting, there was a 3-2 vote to sell city-owned property to the Yeminite Community. Councilman Noman argued that the land had lay vacant for 30 years and was quoted in the Buffalo News as saying that the Yeminite Community would be willing to invest millions of dollars to expand the building and parking lot.

On June 20, 2011 at the City Council meeting, Rev. Blue and representatives from his church (2nd Baptist) showed up with John Ingram (Chairman of Citizens of Lackawanna's Future) to protest the sale, stating that they had wanted to purchase the property.

Mr. Lucarelli (Lucarelli's Banquet Center) stood up and basically said that city-owned property for sale should be made available to everyone in the city, including businesses. His argument was that churches and other non-profits don't pay taxes...businesses do. He also told the council that the city wasn't in the real estate business.

Ahhhh, says Mr. Dicenzo as he holds up proof otherwise...MARTIN ROAD SUBDIVISION!!!!

Another resident stood up to voice her disgust with the condition of our city playgrounds. And yet another resident stood up to voice her anger and frustration over the property being lost each year as it erodes into Smokes Creek foot-by-foot.

Sooooooo, there will be some sort of meeting between the 1st Baptist congregation and the Yemen community to "work out a compromise" with regards to the property in question. STAY TUNED....
    Since the meeting is tommorow for the "compromise" I wonder if the city let any potential other buyers know about this? I wonder if the public was informed? Or is this all about the vote pandering? The land should be put up to the highest bidder. You want it you pay for it. The money should go into a recreation fund or something for the deprived kids in Lackawanna or maybe a business improvement program or rehab program! Furthermore I wonder if the city is violating any open meeting rules on this? Since the meeting wasn't published and the general public not notified I would assume they are.

Sorry! But seems it like these guys are playing the vote getting game to perfection! Meanwhile the taxpayers get the shaft! What the hell is this $$Vote Buying 101$$ Please!
    Last edited by mnb811; July 6th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.

Post Very Interesting.....

Council Meeting
    Monday, July 11, 2011

Council Chambers
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Hearings from Citizens:
    John Ingram – various concerns
    Approval of Minutes of regular meeting of June 20, 2011.
    Communications from Council

Council President Jaworski – requests Law department prepare necessary ordinance for the sale of 187 Holbrook which was approved by Council at June 6, 2011 meeting.

Council Member Noman - requests an ordinance authorizing the sale of properties on Ridge Road to the Yemenite Benevolent Association as approved at the June 6 meeting.

Communications from Department/Division Heads:

City Attorney – requests approval of resolution authorizing installation of ten post top luminaires in Michelle Drive Subdivision.

Commissioner of Public Works
    – requests permission to purchase a new truck under state contract to replace truck destroyed in fire this past spring, sufficient funds in account to cover costs.

Commissioner of Public Works – requests council award contract for 2011 Pavement Replacement project to low bidder Destro & Bros. Co. ( recommendation of TVGA)

City Comptroller – advises Council of transfers made to balance many 2010-2011 accounts.

City Assessor
    - request Council adopt list of city owned properties available for sale and establishing the properties not needed for any municipal purposes.

Resolutions:

A resolution authorizing National Grid for the installation of ten luminaires in the Michelle Drive Subdivision.

Ordinances:

An ordinance authorizing the sale of properties on Ridge Road to the Yemenite Benevolent Association.
    Tabled Items:
    Adjournment:

Benefit held for single mother battling cancerBy Edward Mazzu

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
    Updated: July 11, 2011, 6:46 AM

Carmen Alvelo is no stranger to hardship. A single mother of three, she has worked hard her whole life to become a prominent businesswoman and now faces her biggest challenge yet. In January, she was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer and has just finished eight rounds of chemotherapy.

“When I found out, I was in shock,” she said. “I didn’t want to believe it. I wanted a second opinion right away.”

Just before Christmas, Alvelo had flulike symptoms and a strong pain in her side. After a biopsy revealed that she had breast cancer, she had a lumpectomy to remove the tumor, but it had already spread to her lymph nodes. She will soon begin radiation therapy.

“My driving force is my kids,” she said. “I still have a lot to do in life.”

Alvelo, 41, of Hamburg, has worked as a sales consultant at West-Herr Toyota for more than 10 years. In that time, she has been in the company’s Top 200 Club — selling over 200 cars a year — five times. She said one of her goals is to hit that mark again next year.

Since her battle with breast cancer began, she has been unable to work and expressed her appreciation for the support of West Herr Automotive Group.

“I’m very fortunate that I work for such a great company,” she said.

Alvelo said that after one phone call to her boss, Scott Bieler, president of West-Herr Automotive Group, and within 12 hours, she was at Roswell Park Cancer Institute.

Sunday, her support group of friends, family and co-workers put on pink T-shirts and held a benefit at the Lake Erie Italian Club in Lackawanna.

One of Alvelo’s closest friends and co-workers, Tracey Duffy, who helped organize the benefit, said that by splitting up into separate committees and soliciting local businesses for donations, they were able to maximize their outreach.

“Everybody kind of used their connections in the community to pull together a lot of the proceeds and gifts to be silent auctioned,” said Duffy.

Some of the items up for grabs in the silent auction drew bids of more than $500, including a Class of ’83 framed autographed picture of Hall of Fame quarterbacks Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and John Elway and a framed autographed Derek Jeter jersey.

“I’m very impressed, overwhelmed and grateful,” said Alvelo. “I never expected this many people to come.”

Alvelo’s oldest son, Giovanni Massimi, 20, spoke from the heart about just how important his mother is to him and his 17- year-old twin brothers, Jordan and Joshua.

“My mother is the strongest woman I know,” said Massimi. “When I first found out, it was like a kick in the gut. But we just stayed strong and came together as a family and have made it through so far.”

Alvelo wanted to make sure people understand that if she had not gone to the doctor for the pain in her side, she would have never found out that she had cancer.

“Listen to your body,” she said. “Mine saved my life.”

emazzu@buffnews.comnull
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

School Board cancels tonight’s meeting
    Published:
    July 13, 2011, 12:00 AM

Updated: July 13, 2011, 6:49 AM

The Lackawanna Board of Education has canceled its meeting that was scheduled for 7p.m. today in the Martin Road Elementary School auditorium, 135 Martin Road.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    School Board cancels tonight’s meeting
    Published:

Updated: July 13, 2011, 6:49 AM

The Lackawanna Board of Education has canceled its meeting that was scheduled for 7p.m. today in the Martin Road Elementary School auditorium, 135 Martin Road.
    do you know why?

Councilmen vote to delay sale of land to Yemenite communityBy Jay Tokasz

Published:

Updated: July 13, 2011, 6:51 AM

A disputed sale of city-owned parcels again dominated discussion Monday on the Lackawanna City Council—the third consecutive Council meeting featuring impassioned debate about whether the land should be sold to a Yemenite group for additional parking and expansion of a hall that neighbors the vacant lots.

In the end, councilmen voted to put off the sale until the city can negotiate a deal between the Yemenite Benevolent Association and Second Baptist Church, a second party that had tried years ago to purchase the property along Ridge Road, only to be told then that it was mistakenly put up for sale.

“If we’re going to do this, let’s do it the right way,” said 3rd Ward Councilman Francis

J. Kulczyk.

Members of Second Baptist

Church and the Yemenite community packed into Council Chambers and at times engaged in testy exchanges over who rightfully deserves to buy the land.

Leaders from the Yemenite Benevolent Association thought they had a deal when the Council voted 5-0 on June 6 to sell the six lots at $500 apiece — over the objections of City Assessor Frank E. Krakowski, who warned that the sale of the former brownfields could jeopardize future state aid for redevelopment on Ridge Road.

But at the following Council meeting on June 20, Second Baptist Church members objected to the sale, pointing out that they had a deal for the same land in 2002 and backed away after the Council told them the property should not have been sold.

Council President Chuck Jaworski acknowledged then that the Council erred in approving a sale to the Yemenite community, and he set up a meeting to broker a compromise between the church and the association.

The meeting was scheduled for last week, but it didn’t happen because City Attorney Arc

J. Petricca said he had a potential conflict of interest and recused himself.

“This should be done properly. It hasn’t been,” said Jaworski. “It didn’t go through the assessor; it didn’t go through the attorney.”

Jaworski later initiated a measure to hire outside counsel to handle legal aspects of the negotiation between the city, the Yemenite group and the church. The measure passed 3-2.

The Council voted 3-2 against an ordinance that would have authorized the June 6 sale of land to the Yemenite group.

Members of the Yemenite association said they have been denied the opportunity to buy the land in question for nearly 40 years.

“It’s only fair to sell the property to the people who requested it first,” said Anwar Alkalai.

But members of Second Baptist Church, which backs up to the property in question, said the Council would be violating the City Charter by approving the sale to the Yemenite group.

Leaders of Second Baptist, who hope to build a new food pantry and community center, urged negotiations. But some Yemenite speakers maintained that the land could not be split, and that the church should offer to buy out the benevolent association’s current land if it wants to expand.

In other action
    The Council agreed to award a contract to Destro & Brothers Concrete Co. for $1.37 million to cover a second phase of paving in the city. Destro was awarded a $1.69 million contract for the project’s first phase, as well.

Both contracts are contingent upon the city’s ability to sell $5 million in bonds to fund road and firehouse improvements. The bond sale originally was slated for last week, but is now scheduled to be completed later this week.

For complete coverage, go to buffalonews. com/lackawanna. jtokasz@buffnews.comnull
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    do you know why?
    No. I am sorry. I have no idea why the BOE meeting was cancelled. I just cut and pasted the information from the Buffalo News today with the public notice.

You can call the Board clerk who may be able to give you more information. My guess is they do not have all of the information they need yet to meet. Maybe they are collecting specific information to see how they can juggle what they need against what money they have to work with......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lackawanna woman tied to jewelry theft

Published:July 17, 2011, 12:00 AM

Updated: July 17, 2011, 6:39 AM

A Lackawanna woman accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of jewelry and attempting to sell it was arrested Friday night.

Ann M. Bren, 29, broke into a residence on Ladner Street in Buffalo on July 11 and took jewelry valued at $3,000, police said, then attempted to sell that jewelry at Airport Plaza Jewelers on Union Road in Cheektowaga.

Bren was charged with grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Just Thinking....

I hope everyone is taking it easy with the heat wave and checking on Seniors/neighbors. Anyone has extra fans hanging out can maybe give away to the LA food pantry to give out. I thought I had 2 small ones to donate but they won't turn on this year.

How I wish Lackawanna had a sprinkler pool for kids like Caz, West Seneca, etc., and like we used to. I have asked LMHA to put one in their Capital Budget-Wish List for years, with all the cut-backs the CEO told me a few weeks ago that this is a total no go.

Is pool at Senior High open for all to enjoy daily, if they don't have a pool?

Don't forget annual Bethlehem Park Garage Sale August 6.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information